Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
The Good - no password, just give your iPhone the finger to log on ;)

Yes

The Bad - probably won't work 100% out of the gate so I hope log in via finger is not the only option :confused:

It usually works close to 100%. I rarely have a "bad swipe" on my laptop, and I've also enrolled four fingers, in case I injure one. It's pretty much foolproof technology these days.

The Ugly - criminals cutting off your finger when they steal your phone :eek:

They would be better to force the person to swipe in, then change the password. The skin loses capacitance quickly if the finger is removed, so it's not worth the trouble.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I hope it has NFC, as I'll be getting the 5s and it will last me 2-3 years so by they it might be common place.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
ok NFC, fair enough, but a fingerprint scanner ? really ? are apple THAT desperate for features now that they are adding already tried and failed tech from the 1980s ?

We're paying close to a grand for add-on scanners for each of our iPhones.

It's much more convenient than asking users to enter an eight-character passcode every time they want to use their phone, and much more secure too.

Many businesses are happy to shell out a grand per phone for fingerprint scanners, especially when everything else (computer log-ons, door access) is done with fingerprints anyway, and users aren't accustomed to having passwords.

The productivity improvement means companies are happy to pay double for the phone just to add a fingerprint scanner add-on. Having it built-in would be a huge plus.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Basically, I want them to copy Meego Harmattan and webOS. Mostly the former.

1. Improved multitasking. The current implementation is clunky. I want decent mini views of everything running like Expose/Mission Control and the option to close all at once. If i have multiple windows of the same app stick them together like a deck of cards. webOS and Meego have the best multitasking implementations to date. Apple should copy that.

2. The app-centric UI is ancient. I search for what i want to launch now and would rather just take a quick glance at the basics (social, calendar, and messaging), which means scrolling through pages upon pages of apps on the home screen to get anything done is archaic. Throw them in a folder or separate screen and clear the main homescreen/desktop for more important stuff.

3. Live feeds/home screen. Let me know at a quick glance whats happening with my calendar, twitter, facebook, messaging etc without having to launch each app accordingly. Another nod to the way Meego/N9 does this.

4. Quick access to settings. They already copied Android's notification concept might as well finish the job and add quick toggles for Wi-Fi, BT, Airplane, Brightness etc. or copy webOS's implementation by putting a little gear in the top right that drops down and reveals them.

Right now doing something in iOS takes 3-5 taps instead of 1-2 and it gets tiresome and boring fast.

Why can't i have something like this

nokia-n8-meego-3-colours-black.jpg

Feeds/Notifications, Apps, Multitasking. Done. Simple, quick and functional

Instead of this chaos

8122980024_0ccb464864_z.jpg

1. I agree multitasking could be more laptop like, but until there is a breakthrough in battery technology, I am content as it is. It's just a phone to me, I am happy with what I can do on the go. They could do better with closing all apps, but I never find myself doing anything but going to the apps in the first screen, or swiping left for settings. I wouldn't mind an option of expose style multitasking for those who don't care about battery life, but please give me the option to keep it as it is.

2. while ancient, doesn't mean it's not ideal for many. I usually have one goal in mind when I go to my phone, appcentric is ideal for me. current multitasking works just fine when I desire more. anything else you mention I desire is handled well through notifications. I see how others might want different though. For me it's like the wheel, it's ancient, but when you only make it worse when you try and mess with it. It is a small portable device, limited by poor battery and expensive data.

3. DO NOT WANT. I am happy with the notifications that I can get on my lock screen. calendar/reminders, messages, playback control and quick camera access is ideal for my needs. Until unlimited data comes back or a GB gets much cheaper, and batteries improve, I don't want my phone keeping feeds/weather up to date.

4. I agree quick access to settings could be improved, I am pretty happy with how it is on the ipad with brightness/volume/playback controls. Airplane mode would be nice, I don't find myself using any others regularly. Brightness on the iphone or access through notification pulldown would be nice.

I see less chaos in your last picture than the others you posted, but that's just me. If they do make it more android/web os like, I hope they give me the option to keep it as it is. The problem is if they make it how you desire, ore even give you the option to, everyone will use it and say "omg the iphone eats data like no tomorrow and battery sucks!"

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Never quite understood the purpose of NFC. Pulling my wallet out of my pocket and taking a card out isn't an arduous task I'm longing to rid myself of.

The fingerprint sensor's a nice idea (if it can replace typing in lock screen passwords it'd be fantastic) but Apple's never done this before, not even in their laptops.
Every day while commuting I use a NFC card, six times. I just "beep" me through the gates, together with millions others on the way to office or home. That's the only way you can handle these bunch of people efficiently.
For the entertainment on those pleasant rides I use iPhone or iPod. Having those devices NFC enabled will surely makes my life a bit easier. One object less to handle while hopping from one train to another bus.

NFC is so old and hardly used any where. I'm an apple fan, but they seem to be the last one to show up with technology that's been out for a long time.

As talking with CNN's word: go beyond borders.
It's maybe not used where you stay around ; it's surely used in my areas ...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
ok NFC, fair enough, but a fingerprint scanner ? really ? are apple THAT desperate for features now that they are adding already tried and failed tech from the 1980s ?

I would love to have a fingerprint scanner. On my laptop, it enabled me to log in with a swipe instead of clicking in a box, typing in a password, and hitting Return. On the iPhone I would much rather swipe than click the home button, slide to unlock, and type in a password.

And it's not just for computer login. On the laptop I had, I could use the fingerprint scanner to authenticate for website logins. So I didn't have to remember a zillion logins and passwords, I entered them into the fingerprint scanner software once and used a swipe to get in.

I have no idea what happened with fingerprint scanners in the 80's, but today they are a nice alternative to manual typing and fallible memory for authentication purposes.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It's much more convenient than asking users to enter an eight-character passcode every time they want to use their phone, and much more secure too.

Many businesses are happy to shell out a grand per phone for fingerprint scanners, especially when everything else (computer log-ons, door access) is done with fingerprints anyway, and users aren't accustomed to having passwords.

I would love to have a fingerprint scanner. On my laptop, it enabled me to log in with a swipe instead of clicking in a box, typing in a password, and hitting Return. On the iPhone I would much rather swipe than click the home button, slide to unlock, and type in a password.

Um... tablet PCs were also tried and failed technologies. Touch screen smart phones were tried and failing technologies. This is what Apple does.

those things failed because the tech wasn't up to scratch, Finger Print scanning tech is just useless, id rather have facial unlock, or vocal unlocking, than have to swipe the phone six or seven times in just the right way to unlock it, unless the finger print system is built into the screen and part of the swipe to unlock animation, thats the only time i see it being innovative.

i dont see apple adding a scanner to the phone, it would take up real estate and add to the size of the phone, unless they reduce the battery size again .. pretty soon the iPhone is going to be the swiss army knife of phones, but only have a 30 minute battery life.

Last edited:

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I use it to change profile on my phone. Two tags at the entrance of my house. One touch with my phone, silent mode is off, wifi on, GPS off and bluetooth on. The other one does the contrary for when I leave to go to work. Another tag near my bed, this turns of all sounds on my phone so I can sleep soundly.

You tap your phone on an NFC tag that you have programmed. So for instance, you have a tag on your nightstand. You tap the phone on it and set it down. Your alarm is set, wifi and bluetooth are turned off, your phone is backed up, and potentially, lights are turned off. With Bluetooth or Wifi, you would probably need to unlock the phone and push some buttons to kick off the events because you wouldn't necessarily want all of that to happen within bluetooth range of some receiver. There is a demo here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DEsImNvbS5qd3NvZnQubmZjYWN0aW9ubGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..

Those actions can/could also be triggered by geofences or a preprogrammed schedule for Do-Not-Disturb, no need for NFC.
Using geofences would actually be much easier, because that wouldn't require user-interaction every day again and again, but only once, while setting it up.

Some facts about NFC:

- It is widely used in Japan and China, many E.U. countries and other parts of the world. Just because the U.S. may be behind in the deployment of NFC systems, doesn't mean no one uses it.

That's funny, because here in Europe, we often say how NFC is widely used in the US, but not in the EU^^
So if you say the US is behind in deployment of NFC and i say the EU is behind in deployment of NFC - what proof do we have that it's widely used in asian countries?^^

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Those actions can/could also be triggered by geofences or a preprogrammed schedule for Do-Not-Disturb, no need for NFC.
Using geofences would actually be much easier, because that wouldn't require user-interaction every day again and again, but only once, while setting it up.

That's funny, because here in Europe, we often say how NFC is widely used in the US, but not in the EU^^
So if you say the US is behind in deployment of NFC and i say the EU is behind in deployment of NFC - what proof do we have that it's widely used in asian countries?^^

You can safely say that NFC isn't widely used, and certainly isn't ubiquitous, anywhere. It just hasn't been adopted enough by phone companies yet. Oyster cards in London show that systems similar to it can take off, but it needs much wider support. Support from Apple might be the deciding factor!

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
Aren't key fobs a type of NFC. If thats the case you might be able to program your phone to lets say enter an apartment complex instead of rummaging around for your plastic card...Or at work entering a secure area... finger print and NFC could work perfect together.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I would think it should happen... A big push/tilt 100%.

This is the game changer Apple awaits... :cool:

I wholeheartedly believe they have been testing these... they introduced in-cell to the iPhone 5, and now they will add the NFC chip to make this theeee securest transaction for mobile payments.

What's it going to be called... iWallet? iPurchase? I really have no clue... but, it will change the way we buy things forever.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Apple should take on VISA not Google in mobile payments and use some of its $100+ billion and enter the credit game.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Sweet, then it will be able to do what the Motorola Atrix could do two years ago. Keep up the KIRFING apple.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
If even Samsung's Wallet doesn't use NFC, why would Apple want NFC?

Fingerprints have been such a raging success on computers. Who wants them on phones?

I sure hope Apple goes 6 monthly updates - I won't be able to stand this quality of rumour until October. Bring on the April iPhone 5S. If Apple doesn't ship a 5" iPhone later this year, more than just beloved pundits will be going for a more usefully sized phone, from some other company.

It was also hilarious to hear world mac Mobile World Congress attendees claiming iPhone hurt their eyes after looking at the new high res phones at MWC. Any wonder Apple doesn't attend…

Apple got a pass on iPhone 5, last year. They really improved the insides. But they'd better fix up the outside this year. We'll know soon enough - if the new iPhones won't live up to expectations, the new double-down on security Apple will begin leaking like a sieve, just like last year & we'll know everything about the phone, except its bra size, long before it arrives.

Never thought I'd be begging for a 6 monthly iPhone update…

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Apple should take on VISA not Google in mobile payments and use some of its $100+ billion and enter the credit game.

More like Google will try to copy, once again off of Apple, and create their own mobile payment ecosystem... too bad Apple, since acquiring Authentec, has many usable patents for this potential market that is all about secure authorization payments.

It's all about security for this market to work, and change purchasing forever. Nonetheless, Apple mobile payment will be utilizing a bank authorization for payment, so realistically, Apple has this as a huge hurdle. If they can somehow show the banks that "this Apple eWallet" will be better for the banking industry then I can see Visa being in jeopardy.

Say bye byes to that leather wallet of yours...

Also, I would love to see Apple undercut the 2 to 3% Visa asks for from the merchant on the total sale purchase. And, maybe Apple needs a centralized bank within Apple, Inc.???

They do this right, this will be the biggest Apple update since the release of the iPad... and altogether the biggest Software release since coming up with iOS in itself in '07.

This is uuuuuuge, and I totally see it happening either this fall or definitely hovering in the year of 2014!!! Maybe even the new iPads will have NFC chips inside...

If even Samsung's Wallet doesn't use NFC, why would Apple want NFC?

Fingerprints have been such a raging success on computers. Who wants them on phones?

Apple bought Authentec for a couple of reasons ya know...

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
those things failed because the tech wasn't up to scratch, Finger Print scanning tech is just useless

Really? I use fingerprint unlock for my laptop every day, to get into my building, to get into my office, and even for my iPhone (via an add-on peripheral).

It works fine every time.

id rather have facial unlock

It fails the security test. You can trick most facial unlock systems with a photograph. Also, most systems struggle to handle changes like beards or weight fluctuations.

or vocal unlocking

Once again, it's insecure and can be beaten by a recording.

than have to swipe the phone six or seven times in just the right way to unlock it

Have you used any fingerprint systems in the past five years? That used to be the case, but has long ago ceased to be a problem with all but the cheapest, nastiest systems.

Apple bought AuthenTec. They make very good fingerprint scanner modules.

i dont see apple adding a scanner to the phone, it would take up real estate and add to the size of the phone

Fingerprint scanner modules are very low-profile, and could easily be added to the home button.

----------

Fingerprints have been such a raging success on computers.

Yes they have. Many large corporations now mandate their inclusion on all new laptops.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
You don't have to carry your wallet *and* your phone.

Just one example: If I'm out exercising on a run, I could use my phone to buy a drink.

The next step would be to have a digital driver's license, and you'd hardly ever need your wallet. Bring it on I say.

Meaning if you lose or break your phone, you lose your phone *and* your wallet *and* your drivers license *and* your tickets.

Oh and if you don't have the internet. Your wallet is in the cloud. Wow!

You must be enjoying that :)

coolguy$$$

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
You don't have to carry your wallet *and* your phone.

Just one example: If I'm out exercising on a run, I could use my phone to buy a drink.

The next step would be to have a digital driver's license, and you'd hardly ever need your wallet. Bring it on I say.

That's a great BONUS for muggers,

Steal an iPhone, and get Money + Identity for FREE....

Smallworld69

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Basically, I want them to copy Meego Harmattan and webOS. Mostly the former.

1. Improved multitasking. The current implementation is clunky. I want decent mini views of everything running like Expose/Mission Control and the option to close all at once. If i have multiple windows of the same app stick them together like a deck of cards. webOS and Meego have the best multitasking implementations to date. Apple should copy that.

2. The app-centric UI is ancient. I search for what i want to launch now and would rather just take a quick glance at the basics (social, calendar, and messaging), which means scrolling through pages upon pages of apps on the home screen to get anything done is archaic. Throw them in a folder or separate screen and clear the main homescreen/desktop for more important stuff.

3. Live feeds/home screen. Let me know at a quick glance whats happening with my calendar, twitter, facebook, messaging etc without having to launch each app accordingly. Another nod to the way Meego/N9 does this.

4. Quick access to settings. They already copied Android's notification concept might as well finish the job and add quick toggles for Wi-Fi, BT, Airplane, Brightness etc. or copy webOS's implementation by putting a little gear in the top right that drops down and reveals them.

Right now doing something in iOS takes 3-5 taps instead of 1-2 and it gets tiresome and boring fast.

Why can't i have something like this

nokia-n8-meego-3-colours-black.jpg

Feeds/Notifications, Apps, Multitasking. Done. Simple, quick and functional

Instead of this chaos

8122980024_0ccb464864_z.jpg

It's pretty funny you say that, because my iPhone 5 is capable of doing every single one of those things... Sometimes, when the company won't listen, you gotta take things in to your own hands. A quick 4 minute jailbreak, now I have widgets, and more customization than you can shake your d*ck at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.