Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Pretty much this.

After staring at an iPad all day, even grabbing a 6 Plus feels "small" or "just right for mobile."

And there is a get used to it period so you have to own it yourself to feel what its like. (And how much better it is, its just smooth as hell)

Also what is mid-cycle??? You either have enough money to sell and buy the newest every year or you wait 2 years. You're already behind, why do you care, you don't seem to care anyway.

Its more about you, the pleasure you get using it day to day. Its a delight to use it so what about the value of you losing half a year of your life using a tiny phone when you could be using an iPhone 6 plus these months?? Thats what matters. Not the market.

Then if you want sell it (if you kept it in a case) and buy the new one when you have a few hundred bucks extra at any point in the cycle again.

its not about the cycle its about you spending as many months with a more delicious device.

YOLO

I work in IT so a bit of a nerd by nature and never off my phone, my eyes and permanent squint frown would probably be delighted to get the big screen 6 plus. I will wait for the new iteration in September and strike :)

Thanks for your help chaps!

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Keep your 5S and wait for the 6s/6s+ to come out around September this year.

I agree with this. And I would bet that the next large screen 6 plus will have ironed out some issues (both hardware and software).

You will probably find the 6 nicer to use one handed, the 6plus more useful in seated use (vehicle, restaurants, home, etc.).

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Hi folks,

I just wanted to get your opinions on this one...

I currently have an iPhone 5S which I intended on selling to buy the iPhone 6 when it came out, sadly I hesitated and now I find myself mid-cycle.

I have heard users complain about the iPhone 6 plus and friends complain about the iPhone 6 wishing they had bought a 6 plus.

I now have 3 options:

1) Wait for the next generation of iPhone to be released presumably 6S in Sept/Oct.
2) Sell the iPhone 5S while it still has a little value and pick up an iPhone 6.
3) Go for an iPhone 6 Plus and don't look back.

The longer battery life of the 6 plus appeals to me, especially considering I just bought an Apple Watch too...

Sorry for a very personal post in such a public forum but you chaps are the guys to ask...

I'd wait. 4 months away before the new and better phones launch. The 5S is not a bad phone at all and surely can last you a few more months. The 6S+ is due to get 2GB of RAM based on rumors and they may even make it sturdier to prevent bends. The current 6+ has had many complains of crashing and freezing due to the memory components from vendors. Hopefully this is cleared up but we know it will be cleared up by 6S+ time.

To be honest, I'd say grab an iPad Air 2 and use continuity to satisfy your yearning for battery life and larger screen. Why get locked in on the S cycle when you know the awesome redesign of the iPhone 7 is a year away and you will be stuck again.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why get locked in on the S cycle when you know the awesome redesign of the iPhone 7 is a year away and you will be stuck again.

I bought ny 6+ fully expecting to get 24 months' use out of it.
However, it has been a pain in the butt from day one and remains a pain in the butt over halfway through the first year of ownership. In truth, it's a lemon and I can't wait to get rid.
So buying the first incarnation of an iPhone frankly has more against it than being 'stuck' in the S cycle - and this is coming from someone who hasn't bought an S series phone since the 3GS.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Not quite identical. The 4.7" version runs better.

Not true.

You're the only one on the boards forcing this issue.

I can't believe you just called the 6+ the most brilliant phone ever a lemon. lol. You practically lost all credibility. This phone is a masterpiece. Don't you have anything better to do than going around bashing the 6+ in every thread.

----------

Forgot to mention that as well. Almost zero frame drops compared to the iPhone 6+.

I have zero frame rate drops on my 6+ as of 8.3.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I bought ny 6+ fully expecting to get 24 months' use out of it.
However, it has been a pain in the butt from day one and remains a pain in the butt over halfway through the first year of ownership. In truth, it's a lemon and I can't wait to get rid.
So buying the first incarnation of an iPhone frankly has more against it than being 'stuck' in the S cycle - and this is coming from someone who hasn't bought an S series phone since the 3GS.

What issues are you having specifically? Do you have AppleCare+? My guess is your device maybe a lemon and you need to get a replacement.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
What issues are you having specifically? Do you have AppleCare+? My guess is your device maybe a lemon and you need to get a replacement.

Every 6+ I've messed around with has been the same. Only three I'll admit but that's enough don't you think? More than a handful of people have the same issues on these boards and whilst we may have different usage patterns to most folk, the problems are there regardless. The point I keep making is that my two generations older iPhone 5 didn't have the problems that my 6+ does. Sure I have great battery life and a funky big screen, but the 6+ is the worst iPhone I've ever owned. I didn't experience these dealbreaking issues with my iPhone 4 or iPhone 5.

----------

Not true.

You're the only one on the boards forcing this issue.

I can't believe you just called the 6+ the most brilliant phone ever a lemon. lol. You practically lost all credibility. This phone is a masterpiece. Don't you have anything better to do than going around bashing the 6+ in every thread.

----------

I have zero frame rate drops on my 6+ as of 8.3.

I'm not the only one by a long chalk. As for the 6+ being the most brilliant phone ever, it reminds me of the Ringo Starr joke and how he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles. My 6+ has disappointed me more than any iPhone I've owned to date. Elther you have drastically low expectations or you refuse to acknowledge issues when they most certainly exist.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Every 6+ I've messed around with has been the same. Only three I'll admit but that's enough don't you think? More than a handful of people have the same issues on these boards and whilst we may have different usage patterns to most folk, the problems are there regardless. The point I keep making is that my two generations older iPhone 5 didn't have the problems that my 6+ does. Sure I have great battery life and a funky big screen, but the 6+ is the worst iPhone I've ever owned. I didn't experience these dealbreaking issues with my iPhone 4 or iPhone 5.

----------

I'm not the only one by a long chalk. As for the 6+ being the most brilliant phone ever, it reminds me of the Ringo Starr joke and how he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles. My 6+ has disappointed me more than any iPhone I've owned to date. Elther you have drastically low expectations or you refuse to acknowledge issues when they most certainly exist.

Ha you are absolutely ridiculous.

You read a handful of complaints and there are millions upon millions of happy customers.

a few comments for every 10 million phones?

Do you comprehend math?

You're literally one person out of millions that feels like this.

You feel disappointed then just return the 6+ if you don't appreciate it.

Don't try to act like what you experience is the default experience. The majority of millions of people have zero lag and are absolutely in love with the new screen. Youre just projecting your personal experience onto everyone else and spreading false ideas.

I remember you well from all the 6+ threads before and you already have a reputation of negativity for no reason.

Last edited:

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Prepare for a reply of "Pics or didn't happen"... My 6 Plus is perfect, whenever typing on someone's smaller iDevice I question how I managed with the keyboard!
OK, if you insist!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ha you are absolutely ridiculous.

You read a handful of complaints and there are millions upon millions of happy customers.

a few comments for every 10 million phones?

Do you comprehend math?

You're literally one person out of millions that feels like this.

You feel disappointed then just return the 6+ if you don't appreciate it.

Don't try to act like what you experience is the default experience. The majority of millions of people have zero lag and are absolutely in love with the new screen. Youre just projecting your personal experience onto everyone else and spreading false ideas.

I remember you well from all the 6+ threads before and you already have a reputation of negativity for no reason.

Mr Ridiculous here.
Stop churning out the same old 'there are millions of satisfied customers' line. I haven't spoken to every 6+ owner, have you? They certainly don't all post here either. You have absolutely no idea whether they're all satisfied with their 6+ or not. The majority who post here seem to be but that doesn't mean that problems don't exist. The 6+ lags and stutters way more than any i5 or 5S and that's a fact. It also performs worse than the 4.7" iPhone 6. The 6+ also reloads browser tabs and apps for fun, which is something that the two generations older iPhone 5 does wayyyyy less readily. So bearing all of that in mind, I can't say anything other than that the 6+ is the worst iPhone I have owned to date.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hi folks,

I just wanted to get your opinions on this one...

I currently have an iPhone 5S which I intended on selling to buy the iPhone 6 when it came out, sadly I hesitated and now I find myself mid-cycle.

I have heard users complain about the iPhone 6 plus and friends complain about the iPhone 6 wishing they had bought a 6 plus.

I now have 3 options:

1) Wait for the next generation of iPhone to be released presumably 6S in Sept/Oct.
2) Sell the iPhone 5S while it still has a little value and pick up an iPhone 6.
3) Go for an iPhone 6 Plus and don't look back.

The longer battery life of the 6 plus appeals to me, especially considering I just bought an Apple Watch too...

Sorry for a very personal post in such a public forum but you chaps are the guys to ask...

Wait it out - 6S. You'll get one by Nov. or Dec. depending on how aggressive your are.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The 6 does indeed run better than the 6 Plus. It's just a fact, not really a debate on that end. They have identical specs but the 6 Plus has a larger screen, which requires more power to have equal performance. Myself and the two other friends I have who switched from the 6 to the 6 Plus all experience a little more stuttering and performance problems with the 6 Plus than with the 6. Not that it's so bad that the Plus is unusable or anything, just that it's not as smooth as the 6.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Mr Ridiculous here.
Stop churning out the same old 'there are millions of satisfied customers' line. I haven't spoken to every 6+ owner, have you? They certainly don't all post here either. You have absolutely no idea whether they're all satisfied with their 6+ or not. The majority who post here seem to be but that doesn't mean that problems don't exist. The 6+ lags and stutters way more than any i5 or 5S and that's a fact. It also performs worse than the 4.7" iPhone 6. The 6+ also reloads browser tabs and apps for fun, which is something that the two generations older iPhone 5 does wayyyyy less readily. So bearing all of that in mind, I can't say anything other than that the 6+ is the worst iPhone I have owned to date.

Quit your crying we get it you don't like it because you think it stutters once and a while, move on. I'm perfectly happy with my 6+.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Quit your crying we get it you don't like it because you think it stutters once and a while, move on. I'm perfectly happy with my 6+.

Bully for you. You accept mediocrity and defend it.
For £700 I expect an iPhone better than the two generations older iPhone. It might not be better in absolutely every respect, but it should certainly be no worse in ANY respect.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Bully for you. You accept mediocrity and defend it.
For £700 I expect an iPhone better than the two generations older iPhone. It might not be better in absolutely every respect, but it should certainly be no worse in ANY respect.

OMG your words hurt so bad please, please stop.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
I initially bought a 6 when it was launched from a 5S thinking that the 6+ was too big for me specially after holding one at the  Store.

Well... my work gave a 6+ to test out in the field, and after using it for at least 1 week, my 6 felt too small against it, impulse got me... and now I have a 6+

Never regretted getting the 6+

But for the OP, keep the 5S and wait for the 6S+. It's only a few months now until it's released.

snifferdogx

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Quite frankly, it's embarrassing and exploitative of Apple to release anything beneath 32gb in 2014 and charge the prices that it does.

Apple has positioned itself as the premium producers of premium products with a premium price. You can't call yourself that and sell a crappy 8gb in a new model phone in 2014 where you can't even upgrade the capacity.

There are plenty of competitors out there selling phones. They need to think wisely about what they're releasing.

----------

BTW, has there been any talk about abandoning the X, Xs system for their new releases?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I went 5S to 6 Plus and have been really happy. No problem carrying in my pocket, love the larger screen and associated larger keyboard. No problems with anything related to software, memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.