Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Stop acting like it is to make me look like some irrational Google hater. I'm not. Otherwise I wouldn't have been using their devices for the last year.

I don't think you're fooling anyone with that line anymore.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
And this is on top of all those developer betas. The fact that iOS 7 was released in the shape it was is a huge pie in the face for apple, and they didn't learn a single thing from the (ongoing) apple maps fiasco.

What exactly are they supposed to learn? They have a year to update the software. They needed to make some big changes - bigger than they had made in years prior. But they still only had the year to do so.

So they release software thats a bit buggy. Varies greatly from person to person if you ask me - I seem to have minor troubles, others here would have you believe the iPhone simply self-destructed when they installed iOS 7. At any rate, its not perfect and in all likelihood 7.1 is what iOS 7 was supposed to be.

They just didn't want (and really couldn't) wait until early 2014 to release updated software. With the already mediocre year the tech industry (and Apple) had in 2013 - pushing iOS 7 out to 2014 would've been awful. And you all know they would've been killed for it.

Unfortunately - a year is a finite amount of time in which to do a finite amount of updating. Sure as things advance, the amount of updating grows - but IMO they made a big jump from 6 to 7.....I cut them some slack.

Hell, if 4.3 went to 5 instead of 4.4 and there were some big new features that brought some bugs, I'd be saying the same thing. It's not always about "us vs them". Simply the boundaries of what can and can't be done within a given year. Apple like every other company has its limits.

So my music app crashes a few times a week....ehh, its really not that terrible. It takes me, what 5 extra seconds to open it up again? Am I really going to blow up and discount the things I like about iOS 7 over 5 extra seconds that will be fixed in a month or two?

Anyhow - thanks for this. It's been fun, but we should get the thread back on track. When is that new camera app supposed to be out? Are we hearing its coming in a point update or the next major Android update?

----------

I don't think you're fooling anyone with that line anymore.

Not fooling anyone - not trying to. Only you guys who keep trying to create these idiotic debates seem to think so. I'd venture to guess most people here think I'm pretty fair and logical.

Most people are also aware I make it no secret I prefer Apple/iOS devices. Doesn't mean I can't also use/like Android. Also doesn't mean I can't criticize both platforms. Which I do frequently. I also tend to call out BS when I see it.....which is why there are a handful of users here who seem to get all bent out of shape when I comment.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My point in that linked post was, why release it only to pull it back and release another one that soon after.....essentially releasing public betas of each within the span of a week.

Apple releases targeted fixes. No, each release doesn't solve EVERY issue, but they do solve the ones they are meant to. I'd rather have 4 updates which I can get within 10 minutes of their release that fix 4 bugs, than 2 updates, one of which was out for 4 days, but then pulled because it didn't solve the problem or created more issues and the second which also was out for more than a few days before I simply decided to flash it myself.

It too doesn't address every problem.

Different methods. Again, I understand why Google does it that way. I simply prefer Apple's method. Is that such a problem? Are you trying to tell me they do things the same way? Because its pretty obvious they have different strategies when it comes to releasing software updates.

Also - yet again.....iOS 6 -> iOS 7 = MUCH bigger change than 4.3 -> 4.4......its not an apples to apples comparison from the get go. Stop acting like it is to make me look like some irrational Google hater. I'm not. Otherwise I wouldn't have been using their devices for the last year.

Whatever....Apple released a buggy OS and are still putting out fixes but you want to call it targeted fixes? I call it fixing things that dont work very well which sure, its a targeted fix for something they put out that stinks.
Its no different but whatever. How it gets done isnt a big deal on either platform.
Im not trying to say you are a Google hater, just that what your saying isnt any different.

As for the updates, ....iOS7 isnt a bigger update than 4.4. Look at the official websites to see yourself to see whats new in each. Its mostly a new UI look on iOS.

Not to mention Googles main apps like Maps, Youtube, Gmail etc... get updated all year long and for everybody on Android. Not just when a new OS comes out.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Whatever....Apple released a buggy OS and are still putting out fixes but you want to call it targeted fixes? I call it fixing things that dont work very well which sure, its a targeted fix for something they put out that stinks.
Its no different but whatever. How it gets done isnt a big deal on either platform.
Im not trying to say you are a Google hater, just that what your saying isnt any different.

As for the updates, ....iOS7 isnt a bigger update than 4.4. Look at the official websites to see yourself. Its mostly a new UI look.

Not to mention Googles main apps like Maps, Youtube, etc... get updated all year long and for everybody on Android. Not just when a new OS comes out.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

If you want to argue the merits of stock app updates independent from OS updates, you'll get no argument from me. But iOS 7 is MUCH more than a new UI....come on now. Don't be THAT obviously fanboyish....

Anyhow - it really is neither here nor there. Bugs suck, but they are a part of technology no matter the platform. AFTER the update, I will say the N5 camera is rather good. In the pics I posted, I'd dare say the N5 shots look nicer....though a little more faded. I'll be looking forward to this new camera super app Google is supposedly putting together.....

They finally addressed a few of my biggest pet peeves with Android - which is why I went back to the Nexus device to get 4.4 ASAP. Looking forward to them continuing to trim Android down and consolidate redundant apps and services into better stock offerings like they have with the stock email and messaging apps.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If you want to argue the merits of stock app updates independent from OS updates, you'll get no argument from me. But iOS 7 is MUCH more than a new UI....come on now. Don't be THAT obviously fanboyish....

Anyhow - it really is neither here nor there. Bugs suck, but they are a part of technology no matter the platform. AFTER the update, I will say the N% camera is rather good. In the pics I posted, I'd dare say the N5 shots look nicer....though a little more faded. I'll be looking forward to this new camera super app Google is supposedly putting together.....

They finally addressed a few of my biggest pet peeves with Android - which is why I went back to the Nexus device to get 4.4 ASAP. Looking forward to them continuing to trim Android down and consolidate redundant apps and services into better stock offerings like they have with the stock email and messaging apps.

I gave links from each official websites to show whats new. No fanboyism about it. Its there to read and i mostly see UI changes and its what they are stressing the most. Sure there are others but i dont see more or bigger things than what 4.4 has and Apple had a whole year.
Google was updating Jellybean all year along with Kitkat.

If im wrong about iOS7 not having more changes/updates than Kitkat, i sure would like to be shown different because i dont see it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I gave links from each official websites to show whats new. No fanboyism about it. Its there to read and i mostly see UI changes and its what they are stressing the most. Sure there are others but i dont see more or bigger things than what 4.4 has and Apple had a whole year.
Google was updating Jellybean all year along with Kitkat.

If im wrong about iOS7 not having more changes/updates than Kitkat, i sure would like to be shown different because i dont see it.

BIG changes (at least as I see it) are bolded

Android 4.4 changes:
-"OK Google" voice command
-Full screen album art on lock screen
-Immersive "full-screen" mode in some apps
-"Faster" multitasking
-Updated phone app with a directory listing system (I personally hate this...)
-"Smarter" Caller ID (attempts to match business/caller info to number even if its not saved in contacts)
-Consolidated Hangouts and SMS (YES - love this)
-Emoji
-Wireless printing
-Updated Quickoffice

iOS 7.0 changes:
-Control Center
-Updated notification center with "Today" view (gives snapshot of weather, calendar, stocks and traffic/commute times)
-Improved multitasking (scheduled app updating - based on user habits and connectivity conditions, new UI)
-Updated Camera App
-Updated photo sorting/camera roll app including cross-sharing photo streams
-AirDrop sharing via p2p connection
-Redesigned Safari w/ iCloud keychain (saves passwords and payment info and syncs across all devices - also can suggest difficult-to-guess passwords and save them across all devices)
-iTunes Radio
-Updated Siri (better voice, voice recognition, new functions)
-Apps Near Me suggestions in App Store
-Activation Lock

These are the changes listed on the respective websites....I didn't even mention the fact that Apple also recompiled the entire OS to 64-bit.

I also didn't include iOS in the Car because it hasn't launched yet - even though it was something they were working on for the 7.0 release. Also didn't mention the overhaul to the UI - as far as the icons, layering effects, transparency etc.

And let me just make sure to point out - whether or not you think any of these updates is useful or not, doesn't affect the time it took to do them. You may not see any point to a 64-bit OS....and there may not be much point now - but that doesn't negate the fact that a change like that requires time and resources.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Which iPad? I've used it on an iPad 2, 3, mini, Air and retina mini - no trouble on any.....at least as far as speed goes. Bugs are there but that's to be expected of such a major overhaul.

I have an ipad 4 which drops frames and stutters under ios7 so I can only imagine how ipad 2,3 and mini would be.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What about all this you left out:

Bluetooth MAP support

Android now supports the Message Access Profile (MAP) so Bluetooth-enabled cars can exchange messages with your devices.
Chromecast support

With your Android device and a Chromecast, you can enjoy your favorite online entertainment, from Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, and Google Play on your HDTV.
Chrome web view

Applications that embed web content now use Chrome to render web components accurately and quickly.
Closed captioning

Android now supports closed captioning and subtitles. To turn on closed captioning, go to Settings > Accessibility and turn on Captions.
Device management built-in

If you ever lose your device, you can find or wipe it with the Android Device Manager
Downloads app redesign

The Downloads app has been redesigned, giving you new sorting options and list and grid views for all the files you’ve downloaded.
Easy home screen switching

If you love to customize your device and have installed one or more home screen replacements, you can switch between them easily in Settings > Home.
Email app refresh

The redesigned Email app has a fresh new look with nested folders, contact photos and better navigation.
Full-screen wallpapers with preview

Your wallpaper now extends through the notification tray and system buttons. And when you change your wallpaper, you can preview just how it will look before you set it.*
HDR+ photography

HDR+ mode on Nexus 5 automatically snaps a rapid burst of photos and combines them to give you the best possible single shot. Daytime pictures are vivid with clean shadows, and nighttime photos are sharp with less noise.*
Infrared blasting

On devices with an infrared (IR) blaster, Android now supports applications for remote control of TVs and other nearby devices.
Location in Quick Settings

Access your location settings from anywhere with a new tile in Quick Settings.
Location modes and monitoring

If you want to conserve battery, go to Settings > Location to switch between high accuracy and battery-saving location modes. There’s no need to toggle GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile network settings. And to see which apps have recently requested your location, go to Settings > Location.

Music and movie-seeking from lock screen

Jump to a specific part of a song or video from your lock screen. Just long press on the play or pause button and then select the point you want.
Secure app sandboxes

Application sandboxes have been hardened with Security-Enhanced Linux.
Step counting built-in

When you use fitness apps like Moves on Nexus 5, the phone acts as a pedometer to count steps. Android 4.4 and updated hardware make this a more battery-friendly way to measure your activity.
Tap to pay, built a new way

Android 4.4 introduces a new, open architecture for NFC payments that works with any mobile carrier, and lets apps manage your payment information in the cloud or on your device. Now you can tap to pay with Google Wallet or other apps at more than a million stores.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What about all this you left out:

Bluetooth MAP support

Android now supports the Message Access Profile (MAP) so Bluetooth-enabled cars can exchange messages with your devices.
Chromecast support

With your Android device and a Chromecast, you can enjoy your favorite online entertainment, from Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, and Google Play on your HDTV.
Chrome web view

Applications that embed web content now use Chrome to render web components accurately and quickly.
Closed captioning

Android now supports closed captioning and subtitles[/B]. To turn on closed captioning, go to Settings > Accessibility and turn on Captions.
Device management built-in

If you ever lose your device, you can find or wipe it with the Android Device Manager
Downloads app redesign

The Downloads app has been redesigned, giving you new sorting options and list and grid views for all the files you’ve downloaded.
Easy home screen switching

If you love to customize your device and have installed one or more home screen replacements, you can switch between them easily in Settings > Home.
Email app refresh

The redesigned Email app has a fresh new look with nested folders, contact photos and better navigation.
Full-screen wallpapers with preview

Your wallpaper now extends through the notification tray and system buttons. And when you change your wallpaper, you can preview just how it will look before you set it.*
HDR+ photography

HDR+ mode on Nexus 5 automatically snaps a rapid burst of photos and combines them to give you the best possible single shot. Daytime pictures are vivid with clean shadows, and nighttime photos are sharp with less noise.*
Infrared blasting

On devices with an infrared (IR) blaster, Android now supports applications for remote control of TVs and other nearby devices.
Location in Quick Settings

Access your location settings from anywhere with a new tile in Quick Settings.
Location modes and monitoring

If you want to conserve battery, go to Settings > Location to switch between high accuracy and battery-saving location modes. There’s no need to toggle GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile network settings. And to see which apps have recently requested your location, go to Settings > Location.

Music and movie-seeking from lock screen

Jump to a specific part of a song or video from your lock screen. Just long press on the play or pause button and then select the point you want.
Secure app sandboxes

Application sandboxes have been hardened with Security-Enhanced Linux.
Step counting built-in

When you use fitness apps like Moves on Nexus 5, the phone acts as a pedometer to count steps. Android 4.4 and updated hardware make this a more battery-friendly way to measure your activity.
Tap to pay, built a new way

Android 4.4 introduces a new, open architecture for NFC payments that works with any mobile carrier, and lets apps manage your payment information in the cloud or on your device. Now you can tap to pay with Google Wallet or other apps at more than a million stores.

My fault, I just read what was on the first screen of each - didn't dive into the "more features" list of either.

Here's a comprehensive list of iOS 7 features if we're going to get down to the nitty gritty: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-features.html

Its more than a "UI change".

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
And possibly the biggest, most significant inclusion for android in the future is ART.

Yup - I see ART being to Google what 64-bit is to Apple as far as updates that happened in 2013 that will have a big impact in the future, but are somewhat limited currently.

Like I said - I'm extremely happy with what Google did in 4.4. Hence why I rushed to ditch the GS4 and pick up the Nexus 5. I was sick of the skin and I wanted the updates ASAP.

I feel the same way about Apple though and have loved the new features - and I even like the new UI.

Whether or not you think they should - truth is Google has an easier go when it comes to OS releases because they update stock apps as they go rather than at the time of the OS release. I personally think that's the way to go and agree with ya'll. But it doesn't negate the fact that Apple - in having to completely redesign and recompile the entire OS AND add the features it added - had a lot to do in a relatively small amount of time.

And I'd rather have 7.0 released when it was and have to wade through some bugs before 7.1, than have them wait until 7.0 was what 7.1 will be. For me, 7.0 is far from unusable.

But like I said - either people are over dramatic, or its a pretty mixed bag as far as consistency goes. I'd guess its a bit of both.

----------

I have an ipad 4 which drops frames and stutters under ios7 so I can only imagine how ipad 2,3 and mini would be.

I can tell you how the 2 and mini were - completely fine. They weren't screamers - but obviously they had older hardware.

Still worked plenty well.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My fault, I just read what was on the first screen of each - didn't dive into the "more features" list of either.

Here's a comprehensive list of iOS 7 features if we're going to get down to the nitty gritty: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-features.html

Its more than a "UI change".
How much of a change was there to the UI? I would not call it a change from classic to OSX type of change. This was more a refresh than a change.

iOS 7 is similar to 6. You don't have a learning curve.

I would call it an under the hood change not a UI change, the os is still clunky. Apple needs a complete rebuild of iOS

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How much of a change was there to the UI? I would not call it a change from classic to OSX type of change. This was more a refresh than a change.

Layers, transparency, icon and text standardization, color change....I'd say the UI was changed quite a bit. They also completely changed the look of nearly every stock app, the multitasking tray, the notification center....

I'm talking looks here. From a functionality standpoint, I suppose the home screens are still icons in a 4x5 grid. Though folders were changed and are unlimited now with pages.

I still don't get why people get all upset about the icon grid. As if they stare at the home screen for hours and get bored....the key experience to be found on the iPhone or on an iOS device isn't found in the OS itself. That is merely a holder....a facilitator of opening up the apps which are the REAL centerpiece of iOS.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Layers, transparency, icon and text standardization, color change....I'd say the UI was changed quite a bit. They also completely changed the look of nearly every stock app, the multitasking tray, the notification center....

I'm talking looks here. From a functionality standpoint, I suppose the home screens are still icons in a 4x5 grid. Though folders were changed and are unlimited now with pages.

I still don't get why people get all upset about the icon grid. As if they stare at the home screen for hours and get bored....the key experience to be found on the iPhone or on an iOS device isn't found in the OS itself. That is merely a holder....a facilitator of opening up the apps which are the REAL centerpiece of iOS.
A UI change to me is losing the grid system. That core function has not changed since iOS 1. Unlike Android that has improved over time iOS remains stagnant. Maybe they have changed things under the hood but the user interface is basically still the same.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
iOS 7 is similar to 6. You don't have a learning curve.

I would call it an under the hood change not a UI change, the os is still clunky. Apple needs a complete rebuild of iOS

Isn't that the point? To add functionality, change the look and feel without completely alienating users who are already so familiar with iOS?

I disagree. To re-write iOS is to make it something else. I like iOS and prefer it. If you don't, move on.

I'm all for added features and functionality. Quick Reply and revamped attachments should be top priorities going forward. But what iOS is, is an operating system that does the essential things an OS needs to do - and then gets out of the way to let the apps shine.

I don't need my OS to do the heavy lifting. Maintain the system, throw in some useful functions to support the in-app experience. That's why I've always preferred iOS. When I'm on my phone, I spend a vast majority of my time in an App. I couldn't care less what the home screen looks like....in the grand scheme I spend very little time on the home screen.

The simplicity, efficiency and quality of the system and apps are what make iOS great. The bits and pieces that need fixing will come, and I'm all for it. But changing iOS from what it is would be a HUGE mistake.

Let Android be for those who want to change the look of their phone every 2 months....in the end you can't satisfy those people anyways. Why should Apple completely change how they think and feel about iOS based on the whims of some fickle consumers. There are plenty of us out there who like iOS for what it is.

----------

A UI change to me is losing the grid system. That core function has not changed since iOS 1. Unlike Android that has improved over time iOS remains stagnant. Maybe they have changed things under the hood but the user interface is basically still the same.

See above.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Isn't that the point? To add functionality, change the look and feel without completely alienating users who are already so familiar with iOS?

I disagree. To re-write iOS is to make it something else. I like iOS and prefer it. If you don't, move on.

I'm all for added features and functionality. Quick Reply and revamped attachments should be top priorities going forward. But what iOS is, is an operating system that does the essential things an OS needs to do - and then gets out of the way to let the apps shine.

I don't need my OS to do the heavy lifting. Maintain the system, throw in some useful functions to support the in-app experience. That's why I've always preferred iOS. When I'm on my phone, I spend a vast majority of my time in an App. I couldn't care less what the home screen looks like....in the grand scheme I spend very little time on the home screen.

The simplicity, efficiency and quality of the system and apps are what make iOS great. The bits and pieces that need fixing will come, and I'm all for it. But changing iOS from what it is would be a HUGE mistake.

Let Android be for those who want to change the look of their phone every 2 months....in the end you can't satisfy those people anyways. Why should Apple completely change how they think and feel about iOS based on the whims of some fickle consumers. There are plenty of us out there who like iOS for what it is.
iOS is basically an app based system. You don't use it for the OS itself but as a place holder for the apps you use. It is not a productivity system. The people that use an iPhone or iPad don't want to fiddle with things they want to tap the app and go. That is fine, and if Apple wants to go that route great. But there should be more under the hood for those that want to go deeper.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
iOS is basically an app based system. You don't use it for the OS itself but as a place holder for the apps you use. It is not a productivity system. The people that use an iPhone or iPad don't want to fiddle with things they want to tap the app and go. That is fine, and if Apple wants to go that route great. But there should be more under the hood for those that want to go deeper.

That's what Android is for :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
That's what Android is for :p
That and bigger screens. I was at Best Buy looking at the N5 and loving the screen size. Then I looked over the the iPhone and it looks so dated with it's small screen. I am shocked that people put up with it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yup - I see ART being to Google what 64-bit is to Apple as far as updates that happened in 2013 that will have a big impact in the future, but are somewhat limited currently.

Like I said - I'm extremely happy with what Google did in 4.4. Hence why I rushed to ditch the GS4 and pick up the Nexus 5. I was sick of the skin and I wanted the updates ASAP.

I feel the same way about Apple though and have loved the new features - and I even like the new UI.

Whether or not you think they should - truth is Google has an easier go when it comes to OS releases because they update stock apps as they go rather than at the time of the OS release. I personally think that's the way to go and agree with ya'll. But it doesn't negate the fact that Apple - in having to completely redesign and recompile the entire OS AND add the features it added - had a lot to do in a relatively small amount of time.

And I'd rather have 7.0 released when it was and have to wade through some bugs before 7.1, than have them wait until 7.0 was what 7.1 will be. For me, 7.0 is far from unusable.

But like I said - either people are over dramatic, or its a pretty mixed bag as far as consistency goes. I'd guess its a bit of both.

----------

I can tell you how the 2 and mini were - completely fine. They weren't screamers - but obviously they had older hardware.

Still worked plenty well.

One thing in pure Android that i dont like at all over Touchwiz is the calender. The calender is awful in 4.4 compared to TW. And the TW calender looks much, much better.

I will say that iOS 7 works fine on our iPad Mini...though i dont use it hardly at all, my Daughter does but it works fine.

I think a year is plenty of time to get all that in a new OS. Google has done it in less than a year going from Gingerbread(though GB kinda sucked) to ICS and then Jellybean. They were going like crazy for a while there but slowed down to let other devices catch up some to the OS's.

Either way, for a phone and a tablet i prefer Android a lot more over iOS. As a laptop, ive no use for Chromebook and much prefer a Macbook or Windows 8 though i dont use many apps in W8 either.
I use the devices much different and in no way do i use a laptop like a phone or tablet.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
OK. This thread turned into something it shouldn't have. Not sure how to upload photos in a group. But heres the nexus 5,with HDR.

Attachments

• IMG_20131222_063545.jpg
    IMG_20131222_063545.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
One more 5s. Not sure if the iPhone was on HDR. Also these go up to Google +. They may have been autoawesomed. Personally I see more detail in the hdr from the nexus. The iphone is brighter.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Not much difference between the Nexus 5 with HDR and the iPhone 5S.

Impressed.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Right. After listening to the verge go on and on about the iPhones camera they had me convinced. Its not bad. But I factor in price. For 300 less nexus 5 is on par. The software needs to be updated or opened up to devs. But really I just needed to unsubscribed to the Verge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.