Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidde79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2015
I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.4. Lately the phone is constantly warm and drains battery really fast. At 07:00 I had 100% and now at 09:54 it’s 57% without really using it. I have restored it and changed battery but to no avail. Is the famous U2 chip the problem? Oh by the way, the rear housing is changed.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Could be a rouge app or a locational issue. Or simply a cheap battery that's going bad.

Setting > battery will show you what app is consuming the most.

If that looks normal try putting your phone in airplane mode for an hour and see if the excessive drain continues. That will show if it's a location issue. If the drain continues then it's going to be a bad battery.

Vidde79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2015
Use: -
Standby -

This is what it says, all the time!

It drains battery even in airplane mode.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.4. Lately the phone is constantly warm and drains battery really fast. At 07:00 I had 100% and now at 09:54 it’s 57% without really using it. I have restored it and changed battery but to no avail. Is the famous U2 chip the problem? Oh by the way, the rear housing is changed.
No problem with your 5s, mine does the same since the 8.4 update.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
My step-daughters 5s was doing the same thing after 8.4. I disabled Apple Music and connect. She says it is fine now.
I disabled apple music but the only way to disable connect is going to restrictions. Is this how you disable it?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
If all of my restrictions are already off is this ok? Or do I need to enable them to select the content one off? Thx

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Mine gets very hot sometimes when I'm using Safari after 8.4 update. it lasts for few minutes to 1 hr and then it cools down. The battery does not drain though.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I think mine gets really hot because I have all of those features enabled like push email, location services, weather running in the background, suggested apps, background app refresh but... I use them all. Plus, I think my 5s gets hot because it's a space grey model.:cool:

Reactions: Trickhot3102

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I don't notice significant battery drain on 5S with 8.4. I still get 6 - 7 hours of usage. I normally use Safari on LTE (more than 50% of total battery usage), Gmail, Outlook, Line messaging app and some news apps. I have Apple Music disabled, but I did not disable Connect.

Did you restore from back-up? I suggest setting up the phone as new (manually redownloading apps, reconfiguring the settings, etc) as last resort.

Or.... Battery could have been calibrated incorrectly for some reason..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think mine gets really hot because I have all of those features enabled like push email, location services, weather running in the background, suggested apps, background app refresh but... I use them all. Plus, I think my 5s gets hot because it's a space grey model.:cool:
None of those things should make it get hot (unless you are doing something intensive on the phone at the same time basically).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.