Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
As for the names 5s, 6s, 6s+, 5se ... hmmm... it all sounds familiar. Apple seems to be reaching back to the past during their beige and even off-white Mac era with the names for their phones. There was the Mac II, Mac IIsi, Mac IIci, Mac IIfx, Mac IIcx, etc. My wife would love to get a 4" iPhone with ApplePay capabilities.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This has to just be a Photoshop job.

(I'm saying this to try to convince myself more than anything else)

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If this doesn't skimp on any specs, than I am all for it. If this has 12MP 4K camera, 2GB of RAM, 3D Touch, 7000 Series Aluminum, Apple Pay, Faster Touch ID 2.0, and a 128GB option, than a lot of people will be very happy.

Since I am on T-Mobile Jump On Demand, I will surely try this phone by trading in my iPhone 6S, IF it isn't a downgrade!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Why waste any time building or selling a 5" iPhone. the 6S is the smallest it should ever be. Leave the past in the past.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
The biggest issue is most people have embraced the 4.7" inch phone due to 4" phones now being unpopular. The 5C did well because of the price.

This phone is old technology a recased IPhone 5S.

Given how well the larger phones sold I an surprised Apple are wasting time on smaller markets. Infact I believe anybody who purchases a 4" IPhone would be more likely to switch to Android next as this new handset a 5S basically is ancient technology. Apple should instead made a 4.7" plastic 6C.

iPad Air 3 is the wrong timing too another IPad 3 flop. All they can add is Force touch and maybe improve the cameras and add Live Photos. This is not going to increase sales. The product needs innovation. I think given the last fiasco I would avid purchasing it because I would expect IPad Air 4 to arrive in October. The iPad Pro is already future proof so I don't see a new model yet.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
If it's gonna look like a smaller iPhone 6, then the "5se" name just makes no sense whatsoever. Just call it the "iPhone 6 mini" and be done with it. They did it with the iPad, why not with the iPhone?

Or call it the iPhone 6 XS ! Xsmall haha

Reactions: Lazy

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
What is this? A phone for ants?

Edit. Wouldn't that be awesome if in Zoolander 2 he uses an overly exaggerated huge phone instead of the tiny one to reflect current trends ???

Samsung-Zoolander-2.0.jpg

(I have no idea if these turds will actually feature in the film)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The biggest issue is most people have embraced the 4.7" inch phone due to 4" phones now being unpopular. The 5C did well because of the price.

The 4" is unpopular because it's not a top of the line product. Why pay $100 less for something that is begging to be discontinued?

I want a 4" iPhone with bleeding edge hardware. Design around the 4" and make the 5" and 5.5" the same but slightly larger. It's the 4" that's hardest to design, so charge the same for all of them and use the sales of the other device to offset the lost revenue.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If it's gonna look like a smaller iPhone 6, then the "5se" name just makes no sense whatsoever. Just call it the "iPhone 6 mini" and be done with it. They did it with the iPad, why not with the iPhone?

It might look like 6s but if it's power/RAM is NOT the same, then 5xx makes sense for the name.

Especially if down the line iOS 12 won't run on this model but will run on the 6s models, you're really going to need the naming destination when stating what device cannot be upgraded past iOS 11.
(I don't want to argue which iOS version this might happen with, I just want an example)

Or if they want the distinction for the devices that have 3d touch or ApplePay or ___________?

Gary

Reactions: Sea Bass

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
the reflection of the lamp being the same scale and the shadows of the person holding the camera seem to indicate it's a legit photo/device.

Yeah, like I mentioned, I'm trying to convince myself. :p Even more relevant, is that the same user's previous iPad Air leaked shot is on the same table, with the same lamp reflection. Which is to say, the exact same user in the exact same location has manged to get access to a pre-production unit before.

I'm grasping, but I still hope this isn't true.

EDIT:

In case anyone is chronologically going through this thread, it seems that this chap on a later page has pretty convincingly debunked this as a fake, going old school with simple optical illusions, rather than trying to photoshop it.

Now I can go back to enjoying the rumour of this prospective 4" phone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gudi

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
It might look like 6s but if it's power/RAM is NOT the same, then 5xx makes sense for the name.

Especially if down the line iOS 12 won't run on this model but will run on the 6s models, you're really going to need the naming destination when stating what device cannot be upgraded past iOS 11.
(I don't want to argue which iOS version this might happen with, I just want an example)

Or if they want the distinction for the devices that have 3d touch or ApplePay or ___________?

Gary
No, the name doesn't make sense because it's basically a smaller iPhone 6 (like I mentioned), not 6s. Same power as a 6, therefore "iPhone 6 mini" makes perfect sense, "5se" makes zero sense.

By your logic, the iPhone 6 does not have the same power/RAM as the 6s, therefore it should have been called "iPhone 5s Plus".

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
So we will get an iPhone 6c or an iPhone 5e or iPhone 5se with an A8 or an A9 that shares the iPhone 5s design or shares the iPhone 6 design.

Got it.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
For some reason it looks like it is t assembled properly. And isn't the Touch ID home button supposed to be shiny? That one looks unpolished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.