Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 6 Plus may be the most talked about iPhone model due to its larger screen and bigger battery, but early adoption rate metrics (via Mashable), suggest more customers are choosing the smaller iPhone 6 over its bigger counterpart. How much of the difference is due to customer preference versus constrained supplies of the larger model is unknown, however.

According to ad impression data provided by Chitika, the adoption rate for the iPhone 6 is more than 7x higher than the iPhone 6 Plus. On the Monday following launch, the smaller iPhone accounted for 1.5 percent of North American web traffic, compared to 0.2 percent for the iPhone 6 Plus.

chitika-iphone6-6Plus.png
Mixpanel, which measures mobile app usage, reports similar results with the iPhone 6 reaching 2.72 percent of measured traffic and the iPhone 6 Plus trailing with 0.54 percent. Mobile analytics firm Fiksu provides a third set of mobile metrics that also suggest the iPhone 6 is more popular among launch day iPhone purchasers.

iphone-6-mixpanel.jpg
Chitika explains these results by suggesting that the iPhone 6 Plus may be less popular among consumers because it is niche product due to its larger screen size. Supply constraints also may be a factor, with the iPhone 6 Plus selling out quickly online and reportedly being available only in limited amounts this weekend in stores.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Adoption Easily Outpacing iPhone 6 Plus

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Yeah the first thing I thought with this is how many people got the 6 because the 6 Plus is sold out? Will definitely skew the numbers here until the inventory catches up.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
It would only be relevant to run in a few months when supplies start to settle down to determine if this is due to restricted supply or preference....

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Yeah the first thing I thought with this is how many people got the 6 because the 6 Plus is sold out? Will definitely skew the numbers here until the inventory catches up.

Yeah, I thought the same - it's difficult to sell more 6+ phones when there aren't any available anywhere!

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The 6 plus is a little hard to put in your pocket. So I guess it is targeted towards people carrying a purse (or the samsung ads).

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Finally just checked the 4.7" iP6 out - it's feels big.

It's only half a centimetre shorter/narrower than the 5.5" LG G3.

Didn't see the 6 Plus but that must make it feel truly gigantic for 5.5".

It's the top bezel.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Supplies

I think the article is underestimating the supply constraints. Suggesting the plus is a niche product is premature and shortsighted.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i had the plus on order but i cancelled it after i saw it at the store for the very first time. i literally laughed out loud in the store because it just seemed silly and so huge to me. i knew it was gonna be big but i didnt expect it to be THAT huge. ill be fine with the reg. 6

my sis was like "how cool is that the new iPad Mini?"

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Well, that's because most iPhone users aren't used to "Android-like" screen sizes...yet.
And the iPhone users should never have to be "used" to them. The device fits into our life. That's now it should be. Forcing us to "get used" to a device is doing it backwards.

joshuaclinton

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
Originally, I woke up at 2am CST and pre-ordered the iPhone 6+. After gaining a few more hours of sleep, I realized that the 6+ would be way to big as a phone that I could use comfortably (would probably do nicely as a on-the-go tablet), so I cancelled my order and pre-ordered the 6 at Best Buy.

Of course, I'm the anomaly and I'm sure that the lack of 6+ users has to do with the 6+ shortage.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
i had the plus on order but i cancelled it after i saw it at the store for the very first time. i literally laughed out loud in the store because it just seemed silly and so huge to me. i knew it was gonna be big but i didnt expect it to be THAT huge. ill be fine with the reg. 6

my sis was like "how cool is that the new iPad Mini?"

Yep, it's a mini that can take phone calls.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
And the iPhone users should never have to be "used" to them. The device fits into our life. That's now it should be. Forcing us to "get used" to a device is doing it backwards.

And Apple force you to buy their products? I don't think so...

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I wonder if it would have been simpler for all, if Apple just had one size at 5" with a 1920 x 1080 display.

Not too big, not too small. And just thick enough that it would allow for a OIS camera.:rolleyes:

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Pretty worthless metric when the phones have only been out for three days. I have my 6+, but my wife's won't arrive for 3-4 weeks. I have to say I'm loving the big screen and my wife is super jealous. We never thought we'd go for such a large screen.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Without knowing numbers of devices sure I can see that, but not 7X more of the 6 though. That is just other factors.

-----------------

IMO this shows that most people really don't prefer such a huge screen for their phone. Especially everyday iOS users.

----------

I wonder if it would have been simpler for all, if Apple just had one size at 5" with a 1920 x 1080 display.

Not too big, not too small. And just thick enough that it would allow for a OIS camera.:rolleyes:

They could, but options.

Anyways I don't see why OIS could not be out in the reg iPhone 6. They didn't just to separate models. IMO

Skyone22

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I think a real true sign will see what orders do next year. Large or larger? But I completely agree way too early to compare with most 6+ models still in route.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
The 6 plus is a little hard to put in your pocket. So I guess it is targeted towards people carrying a purse (or the samsung ads).

Not even close. I've been using a 1520 since my 4S keeled over, fits in my normal sized pockets without any issue.

Now if only Apple could make enough of the damn things....

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Chitika explains these results by suggesting that the iPhone 6 Plus may be less popular among consumers because it is niche product due to its larger screen size. Supply constraints also may be a factor, with the iPhone 6 Plus selling out quickly online and reportedly being available only in limited amounts this weekend in stores.

You can't factor out the supply constraints until there are none and the availability is the same for both the 6 and 6+.

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
My wife and I both picked up 64GB Black/Slate grey 6's at Apple store Arrowhead in Phoenix on Saturday. we looked at both models and determined that for us the 6 Plus was way too big.

HOWEVER, even if we had wanted 6 Plus' we were told they had plenty of 6's but had no idea when 6 plus' would be back in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.