Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Plus almost here.

Well I guessed right in thinking the 6 would far outsell the 6 plus. Did the smart thing and ordered my wife's 6 Space Gray 128gb at 12:55 am and my 6 Plus same color 128gb, both AT&Tat 12:59 am (soonest I could get into Apple Store) She received hers on Friday, and my Plus just hit Alaska about an hour ago. Teach me to do the noble thing.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
It took Samsung 25 days to hit 10M. :)

That was for just one phone, the Galaxy S5, which wasn't a very big change from the previous model, and which frankly had a dumb looking case. It's amazing it sold that many :)

You're comparing that to Apple selling TWO new phones, which are quite a jump from previous models, including much-awaited larger displays and NFC for the first time.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
iPhone6 :

- Bad screen aspect ratio - should be paper A6
- Too thin → Protruding camera, rather than longer battery life and flush lens
- Ugly antenna bands
- No OIS on basic model
- Base storage should be 32GB
- No wireless charging
- No iPhone 6C with all-plastic back
- No sapphire screen

Wow. Sounds like the phone you designed is so much better. Provide me a link. Maybe I'll buy it. :rolleyes:

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
That was for just one phone, the Galaxy S5, which wasn't a very big change from the previous model, and which frankly had a dumb looking case. It's amazing it sold that many :)

I would like someone to clarify the word "sold" here. :rolleyes:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The funny part about all this? There are still Android fans out there on various forums, even today, claiming that it's all just hype. :rolleyes:

kdarling

macrumors P6
That is a very big IF.

We should find another source for how much China contributed last year.

Okay. In the Sept/Oct timeframe last year, Apple's share of China smartphone sales rose short term to 12% because of the iPhone 5S/5C.

Taking the highest China sales estimates for that time period (30 million total smartphones per month), 12% gives 3.6 million iPhones sold in China during the first month, or about 120K a day on average.

Even if a quarter of China's monthly iPhone total were sold during that first weekend last year, China sales would've still been a relatively small amount of the overall 9 million.

So it appears that China didn't contribute much to first weekend sales last year. I'm surprised, too.

Need to keep looking to see if we can find sales including China Mobile later on, though. So far, all I've found is a presale estimate of 500K.

--

Another factor is that subsidies are lower this year in China, by government order, aren't they? This has already hurt Samsung. The time of high priced smartphones seems to be on the wane in China.

Let me know if you find better numbers. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
as if Apple will actually sell less next year... :rolleyes:

That can never happen now can it ... Apple is just "too perfect"

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
10 million? Wow, Apple made history. Aww, I was apart of history. # Congrats, Apple. Well deserved #

----------

you mean。。。 ?

Pretty much me by the time I left work. Didn't get home till after midnight. Sold a lot of iPhones tho. 12hr shift, no lunch break, awesome.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The only difference in apple calculations is that Apple has their own stores. Store sales are defined as "to the customers", whereas sales to the cell companies are not. So if apple sells 100 iphones to your local tmobile store, that is 100 sales. But 100 sales in an apple store is 100 phones in customer hands. Being that pretty much everyone is sold out, aside from new inventory since launch day, it's pretty safe to assume that those 10 million are in customers hands. And from my understanding, they only count delivered pre-orders, not backlogged pre-orders as those can be cancelled. I can be wrong on that point, but that would be some fuzzy math if they counted something as a sale but didn't deliver the product yet. Pretty sure there's an accounting firm that would have an issue with that as well as the stock holders.

In any case, I'm in the boat of waiting until I can see it in the store and then wait two more months for my jump on t-mobile to take effect. Not sure if I want a 5.5" phone. Had the Galaxy Note 3 and it was just too big for me. I was even hoping for a 4" iPhone 6.... but I'm sure I'm in the very small minority for that one to ever happen.

http://retail.about.com/od/retailglossarys/g/sell-through.htm

Definition: A calculation, commonly represented as a percentage, comparing the amount of inventory a retailer receives from a manufacturer or supplier against what is actually sold to the consumer.

Yes, these sales are actual sales. If you read my other post, though, you'd realize I was arguing because he said "Apple sales are all sales to consumers". That implies ALL sales, not just this. And that isn't true.

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Cook has the means to find out how many new iPhones have been activated.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

matryska

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
I really like having a phone that not every other person on the street has...

I tend to disagree with this. As a phone is a tool, I'd rather choose it based on preferred interface/software. A nice car probably provides more exclusivity than a phone.

wildsense

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
6+ delivery dates

Very upset with Apple/ATT over delivery of my phone I ordered it on Sept 14th and the arrival estimate is mid November, yet with the low stock capability they are planning to expand the phone to new European markets this month.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Very upset with Apple/ATT over delivery of my phone I ordered it on Sept 14th and the arrival estimate is mid November, yet with the low stock capability they are planning to expand the phone to new European markets this month.

did you order from Apple or from ATT. Because they are two different companies with different schemes. Apple will pull aside units for orders such as yours, which is accounted for in the shipping times.

But I suspect you ordered from ATT. Why? Because even now I can go online to apple.com and shipping is 3-4 weeks. Not mid November. But if you ordered directly from ATT that might be possible because of how carriers get phones. See they have to buy them from Apple. They place an order for what they think they need and when that order is done they place another. They are very careful not to over order because they won't want to be caught with units they can't sell because they can't return them. And it could be mid November before they can receive another order or at least one that would have a unit they can sell you. Which is not Apple's fault because they aren't the ones that decided how many units ATT would get.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
So...if I understand how this works, we should read these sales as indicating "Epic Fail" and keep in mind that Android did it all five years ago, right? :D

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I wonder how many people are returning to the 5S after seeing the 6/6+ have some build quality issues whether if it's "screen bending" or the phone not feeling as "premium" as the 5S? Some people say they're going back to the 5S since it is very similar to the 6. I personally agree the 5S and 6 are roughly the same. The same PPI helps keep the screens relatively the same and 110p difference isn't super huge since the Retina display is bright enough to work. Is NFC a must? I would say no if it's only for Apple Pay. Seeing as the iWatch has it, you can always substitute that for the 6 for Apple Pay. The 6/6+ and 5S processors are about the same in terms of opening up the device when I tried it out today, but the 6/6+ has a slight advantage. It's not really worth the price if someone is really content with their 5S if they don't mind the 4" display, if not, bigger screens are better. I like the 6+ the most of the three, but I am getting a 5S since it's all I can afford at this time. If I don't end up liking it, I can always get my S5 back within 7 days or just sell it, pocket the $ for the Nexus 6.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Then 10 million people are sending the wrong message to Apple. Clearly it was good enough for them to buy it.

Can brand loyalty blind people from rational judgement and choices? I believe it can. If the iPhone 6 and 6+ good? I believe they are, for the products the 6 and 6+ are trying to be. But I am also sure at least some of those sales were "because it's Apple" And good enough to buy does not always mean a good product. There are many reasons why people buy a product and product quality is only one of them. Some people skip of the product quality if many other reasons are there.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Can brand loyalty blind people from rational judgement and choices?

Brand loyalty is built from making good products, and can be easily lost from making one bad product. If one were to believe the overly shrill hype that gets spouted on here on a daily basis, Apple should've lost brand loyalty years ago, and there should be no blind sheep left to keep the company afloat.

And yet, that's not the case.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Brand loyalty is built from making good products, and can be easily lost from making one bad product. If one were to believe the overly shrill hype that gets spouted on here on a daily basis, Apple should've lost brand loyalty years ago, and there should be no blind sheep left to keep the company afloat.

And yet, that's not the case.

We here on forums like these are the vast minority of the Apple customer base. The majority do believe and get suckered in from the hype.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
We here on forums like these are the vast minority of the Apple customer base.

Exactly. The public doesn't think the way most on here do. And for you, or anyone else here, to assume we know anything about the public, its intelligence, or its brand loyalty, is sheer ignorance.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Okay. In the Sept/Oct timeframe last year, Apple's share of China smartphone sales rose short term to 12% because of the iPhone 5S/5C.

Taking the highest China sales estimates for that time period (30 million total smartphones per month), 12% gives 3.6 million iPhones sold in China during the first month, or about 120K a day on average.

Even if a quarter of China's monthly iPhone total were sold during that first weekend last year, China sales would've still been a relatively small amount of the overall 9 million.

So it appears that China didn't contribute much to first weekend sales last year. I'm surprised, too.

Need to keep looking to see if we can find sales including China Mobile later on, though. So far, all I've found is a presale estimate of 500K.

--

Another factor is that subsidies are lower this year in China, by government order, aren't they? This has already hurt Samsung. The time of high priced smartphones seems to be on the wane in China.

Let me know if you find better numbers. Thanks!

I think you did good number crunching. Lower subsidies will favour low cost national Chinese phone companies, first of all, Xiaomi and Meizu and then Lenovo. Seems like a policy to support them, rather than Koreans or Americans. However, if you are middle class in China, chances of going with iPhone are very high since it has a status reputation. Chinese would probably shun Korean or japanese devices but prefer US ones or their domestic ones. Therefore, Samsung will be hurt more than Apple because of lower subsidies.

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
The only issue with that method is trying to cancel my current order, which in that case I would have to wait for turnaround time for the upgrade to kick back in.

My case, I called VZW and canceled current order. Then used Apple Store app to placed an order for store pickup. Since my order was canceled, I was able to completed new order without an issue and it was quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.