Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone else experiencing this? I've restored my phone and it's made absolutely no difference. When I'm using my phone I can see the battery drop like a bomb, never experienced anything this bad before.

It's dropping like that when you are using it doing what? Is it when you are using Safari, or just looking at the home screen, or messaging, or reading/sending email, or using a particular application? It's usually not the same drop when doing different things (as in Safari will make the battery drop faster than if you are just reading email or perhaps messaging which will still be faster than just looking around the home screen or something, but then various apps, and especially games or those with video content, can be quite fast at battery usage as well).

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
As of today, yes! Not sure what is going on but my 6 Plus phone is running oddly hot on the back. I had it off the charger for maybe 50 minutes and it was reading 75%. Not useing any apps, didn't text or make a phone call.

I stared at the screen, then it read 74%, 73% about 90 seconds later. NOT normal at all.

It's on the charger now, the phone feels like it cooled down slightly.

It was perfectly ok yesterday. No apps are running in the background, location is turned off - I have 2 "dots"/ bars on my ATT. Only thing I did different in the past 24 hours was charge the phone using my car charger...Something I rarely do. Almost wondering if my car overcharged/overheated the battery..Beats me, I have no idea.

Last time I had this issue was my old iPhone 5 last July, phone was running hot, battery dying fast and the screen was slightly popped out. Turned out the battery ballooned out and was ready to blow! Ugh.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Safari 30%
snapchat 25%
Home & Lockscreen 10%

28% battery left. 5 hrs use even though this goes up when all my apps are closed.I never had these problems before iOS 8.3 or 8.2. Restoring should have helped but it's done nothing, if anything, it's made it worse.

Ok. I checked the usage. Very similar to yours.

Snapchat was using 29%, which is odd because I don't even use that app. I installed it months ago and maybe used it a handful of times. I forgot all about it, it was in one of my folders...Anyway I deleted the app.

Home/Lockscreen, 19%, then Safari at 14%. Also Periscope at 12%, I installed that on Saturday. Don't need it anymore, that app has been deleted.

I checked Notifications, turned off many where I simply do not need a notification. I cleared out Safari cache.

Then did a reboot (hold the home and power button for about 7, 8 seconds).
So far so good. Phone temp feels normal again, battery seems to be ok.

Only thing I can think of, just a guess - Maybe it's that's Snapchat draining the heck out of the battery. Maybe a new update thats sucking the life out of the phone?

OR that new Periscope app..do you have that installed?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Ok. I checked the usage. Very similar to yours.

Snapchat was using 29%, which is odd because I don't even use that app. I installed it months ago and maybe used it a handful of times. I forgot all about it, it was in one of my folders...Anyway I deleted the app.

Home/Lockscreen, 19%, then Safari at 14%. Also Periscope at 12%, I installed that on Saturday. Don't need it anymore, that app has been deleted.

I checked Notifications, turned off many where I simply do not need a notification. I cleared out Safari cache.

Then did a reboot (hold the home and power button for about 7, 8 seconds).
So far so good. Phone temp feels normal again, battery seems to be ok.

Only thing I can think of, just a guess - Maybe it's that's Snapchat draining the heck out of the battery. Maybe a new update thats sucking the life out of the phone?

OR that new Periscope app..do you have that installed?

I don't have the periscope app (never heard of it). I think Snapchat is to blame because I don't have it open much and the usage is crazy high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.