Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmotherloving

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
Dont belive the hype !

Good afternoon to you all.

Regarding all the comments that says " oh no there's no chance the lens get cracked" oh well that's a lie ! After 1 month my lens got cracked.
Maybe i'm unlucky or maybe Iphone should fix this non sense !!
The Iphone6 is pretty nice, overall. But this camera lens popping out is pretty stupid ! Fail !

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Good afternoon to you all.

Regarding all the comments that says " oh no there's no chance the lens get cracked" oh well that's a lie ! After 1 month my lens got cracked.
Maybe i'm unlucky or maybe Iphone should fix this non sense !!
The Iphone6 is pretty nice, overall. But this camera lens popping out is pretty stupid ! Fail !

there is a chance if you drop it. Sapphire is hard, but brittle. so, it's not prone to scratches, but can sitll be shattered. This is in contrast to plastic, which is soft but not brittle. hard to crack, but easy to scratch.
you probably dropped it.

mrmotherloving

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
there is a chance if you drop it. Sapphire is hard, but brittle. so, it's not prone to scratches, but can sitll be shattered. This is in contrast to plastic, which is soft but not brittle. hard to crack, but easy to scratch.
you probably dropped it.

All due respect...
You just cracked the riddle Colombo .... Of course I drop it. But if the camera was inside instead of outside we wouldn't have this converstation.

Again all due respect but this part of the iphone is crap.

Have a good day

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
All due respect...
You just cracked the riddle Colombo .... Of course I drop it. But if the camera was inside instead of outside we wouldn't have this converstation.

Have a good day

Plenty of folks cracked the sapphire lenses on their iPhone 5s. The cracked lens isn't due to a design fault, it's your fault for dropping the phone.

mrmotherloving

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
Plenty of folks cracked the sapphire lenses on their iPhone 5s. The cracked lens isn't due to a design fault, it's your fault for dropping the phone.

...I'm pretty sure there will be more people complaining about this. Plus on an Iphone5s it's inside so the risk is lower than on the 6.

And for the record I know it's my fault, what kind of answer is that ??

I'm just a guy giving his thoughts on a little flaw of the Iphone 6.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
...I'm pretty sure there will be more people complaining about this. Plus on an Iphone5s it's inside so the risk is lower than on the 6.

you dropped a phone and broke it...and so the phone has a flaw???
what?
phones aren't meant to be dropped.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

You're assuming that the protruding lens will actually be more prone to damage.

You said this:

But if the camera was inside instead of outside we wouldn't have this converstation.

You're claiming that the lens wouldn't have broken if it were not protruding. I pointed out that the 5s also had a sapphire lens and reports have shown that it breaks if dropped.

The design of the phone didn't CAUSE the damage, you did.

mrmotherloving

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
you dropped a phone and broke it...and so the phone has a flaw???
what?
phones aren't meant to be dropped.

I can't even recall dropping it but I'm guessing I did, never the less, phones will be dropped. I don't know one person who didn't drop their phone by accident.

Guys, what I'm saying is that the iPhone 6 didn't do a good job on the camera. it should be inside, preventing those kind of situation.
Plenty of people did say that it was a flaw. I'm not the only one thinking this.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, "this little flaw of the iPhone 6" was first introduced with the launch of the iPod touch 5th generation, back in 2012. So in terms of pointing out this so-called "design flaw", you're about two years late.

MacRumors is the petri dish of all complaints about Apple products. Personally, I've not seen any issue about the protruding camera (either from the 2012 iPod touch, or the iPhone 6) get much traction around here, which speaks for itself, IMO.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The main reason why I don't use my spigen ultra hybrid case is because it doesn't provide enough protection for my camera. The Apple silicone case has enough of a lip to protect it though.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I can't even recall dropping it but I'm guessing I did, never the less, phones will be dropped. I don't know one person who didn't drop their phone by accident.

Guys, what I'm saying is that the iPhone 6 didn't do a good job on the camera. it should be inside, preventing those kind of situation.
Plenty of people did say that it was a flaw. I'm not the only one thinking this.

if only you understand why it is where it is....
cameras get worse in quality the thinner it is.
as such, they can't make the camera thin enough in order to fit into the 6.9mm casing without sacrificing camera quality.

this is the compromise.

i dont think it's a big deal.

take it back to apple and if its true that you dont think you've dropped it, no other signs of damage should be visible and so you should be able to return it - the sapphire shouldn't break by itself, unless it is inherently faulty.

mrmotherloving

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
if only you understand why it is where it is....
cameras get worse in quality the thinner it is.
as such, they can't make the camera thin enough in order to fit into the 6.9mm casing without sacrificing camera quality.

this is the compromise.

i dont think it's a big deal.

take it back to apple and if its true that you dont think you've dropped it, no other signs of damage should be visible and so you should be able to return it - the sapphire shouldn't break by itself, unless it is inherently faulty.

If only I understand ?? what you think you're Einstein or some ?? it's a camera and most of the cellphone nowadays doesn't have a "popping out" camera.
Guys it's a flaw, I'm not the first neither the last to complain about this. YES the phone is pretty dam good but this part of the phone couldn't have been better/improved. That's my opinion ....

Brics

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
BTW, apple uses sapphire glass for the camera lens, not sapphire crystal. SG is harder to scratch than regular glass, but not impossible. SC is almost impossible to scratch (you can but only with diamond, i have 10-15 yo watches with no scratches).

Last edited by a moderator:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If only I understand ?? what you think you're Einstein or some ?? it's a camera and most of the cellphone nowadays doesn't have a "popping out" camera.

Most phones nowadays aren't as thin as the iPhone 6/6+.

Guys it's a flaw, I'm not the first neither the last to complain about this. YES the phone is pretty dam good but this part of the phone couldn't have been better/improved. That's my opinion ....

In your opinion it is a flaw. I'm glad that has been established. Moving on, Apple designed the phone this way. The camera isn't protruding by accident, they did it so the image quality wasn't compromised. If it bothers you so much, use a case.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's been pointed out that having it inside still doesn't prevent that kind of a situation given that plenty of people damaged their cameras when dropping their iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4S, 4, etc. phones. Therefore it can't be a flaw since a different design that you say is better still gets damaged. It's all rather simple logic.

Poutsa

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2018
Um, it can crack, actually, although because it's a small diameter it's not likely. Sapphire has only average shatter resistance. Will not scratch unless in contact with a diamond.
[doublepost=1518940646][/doublepost]What about touching with my diamond Rolex?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.