Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I think everyone needs to take the amount of memory they feel is ideal for the iPhone and then divide that number in half. Every time Apple releases a new iPhone folks around here complain its memory is underwhelming.

Apple seems to put the minimum amount of memory they need to support 80% of the users out there. They want to maximize their profit and really are not concerned with the users that have lots of Safari tabs or apps open at the same time.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
accept that it is extremely laggy when you install it on a 2+ year old device you mean... ever use iOS 6 or 7 on an iPhone 4? iOS 7 on a 4s? iOS 5-6 on an iPod touch 4g?

I'm using iOS 7.1.2 on iPhone 4. Yes it's not the fastest. But it works fine. Sure it lags a little. It's not that bad. The only way i really notice the lag is after using my wife's 5s.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yea, Apple do well to mtach performance with specs so it will still be super quick even with 1GB RAM.

I'm starting to doubt a 5.5" model at all. There haven't really been any convincing part leaks suggesting it is close.

How do you know how iOS8 will perform with 1GB of RAM? Are you happy with your 5S reloading webpages with iOS7? Do you want two more years of the same, and possibly worse, with iOS8 on the iPhone 6 if it has the same measly amount of RAM? I don't think for one moment that the i6 will ship with 1GB....but if it does, hello Samsung.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How do you know how iOS8 will perform with 1GB of RAM? Are you happy with your 5S reloading webpages with iOS7? Do you want two more years of the same, and possibly worse, with iOS8 on the iPhone 6 if it has the same measly amount of RAM? I don't think for one moment that the i6 will ship with 1GB....but if it does, hello Samsung.

How do you know IOS 8 will be a dog? As far as safari I really don't care about the refresh, if it happens.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011

Even if it does ship with 1 or 2 GB RAM, the specs will still be able to drive the OS with sufficient speed to surpass the previous iteration.

iPhones have never really had the top of the line specs on paper. But their performance has always been up there compared to whatever 3GB, quad core snapdragon phone rolls out with Android.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The next iPhone with have enough RAM to operate iOS smoothly. I know a lot of users dislike how apps are suspended and sometimes need to refresh, but Apple has obviously decided it's not a problem due to the fact that they haven't tried to fix it.

On a technical level a larger iPhone would need to be more premium then a smaller to move more pixels around. If not it will benchmark slower. Tech reviewers would have a field day with that.

That said it could just be a bump in clock speed.

Why would the two different sizes of iPhones have different resolutions? The retina iPad Air and retina iPad mini have the same resolution.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Nothing more annoying the leaving an app to do something else only to return and watch it refresh. Generally losing anything you were doing and the place you were.

This is especially annoying with web forms of any type.

I was working on something lengthy and lost it because I navigated away from Safari for minute.

Pissed me off big time, and I ran out and got the S5 a week later.

Why Apple is so chintzy with ram at this point in mobile tech history is baffling as all hell.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Nope.. the 4.7'' and the 5.5'' iPhone aren't for the same market segment. I doubt it that they will make one of them more premium than the other. Also considering most people are in for the 4.7'' it makes even less sense.

Don't worry. The 5.5" model doesn't exist anyway.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Neither does the 4.7" as far as we know at this point.

But I am basing my assumption on the fact that there has been ZERO leaked parts for the supposed 5.5" model. The only leaked parts have been for a 4.7" model. If history repeats itself... this will be like 2011's tapered "iPhone 5" design that never saw the light of day. There were no leaked parts from that model... only leaked parts from the 4S that we actually got.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
2GB is currently the sweetspot on all Android smartphones with the expection of a few that currently have 3GB, with the move to 64bit with Android L, then late this year or some point next year you start seeing Android smartphones with 4GB of ram if not 6GB later on next year.

Apple is running 64bit now, yet if they stay with just 1GB of ram again for the iPhone 6 then i honestly don't see the point as to why they went 64bit in the first place as one of the main reasons for 64bit is no memory limits like on 32Bit.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I'm using iOS 7.1.2 on iPhone 4. Yes it's not the fastest. But it works fine. Sure it lags a little. It's not that bad. The only way i really notice the lag is after using my wife's 5s.

I have the same device, and the same OS. It is a horrible experience.

7.x should never have been allowed on the iPhone 4.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Yea, Apple do well to mtach performance with specs so it will still be super quick even with 1GB RAM.

I'm starting to doubt a 5.5" model at all. There haven't really been any convincing part leaks suggesting it is close.

RAM is about performance, yes, but more than performance, it's about usability.

While the 5s is super quick and can load apps quickly, if you load too many of them they'll be constantly refreshing (loading quick, but still having to refresh), if you add Safari or Chrome with tabs, then you're limited to even less apps.

I won't even consider an iPhone with less than 2GB RAM. Hell, give me 8GB, I never want to refresh applications and have 50 tabs open with without them refreshing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
RAM is about performance, yes, but more than performance, it's about usability.

While the 5s is super quick and can load apps quickly, if you load too many of them they'll be constantly refreshing (loading quick, but still having to refresh), if you add Safari or Chrome with tabs, then you're limited to even less apps.

I won't even consider an iPhone with less than 2GB RAM. Hell, give me 8GB, I never want to refresh applications and have 50 tabs open with without them refreshing.

So you will not buy an iPhone 6 with 1gb RAM?

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
1 to 2GB is not that costly! Maybe $10 more! But if purchase in quantities like Apple would do; it cost maybe as little as $4 more over the 1GB unit!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why would the two different sizes of iPhones have different resolutions? The retina iPad Air and retina iPad mini have the same resolution.

Couple reasons.

Like you mentioned the resolution could be the same. However I find this unlikely since Apple would have a lower PPI with their premium phone if that were the case. I'd take lower benchmarks then that.

But even if they do that the iPad Air has a higher clock speed then the rMini and they share the same resolution. I imagine the same would be true for the 4.7" vs 5.5" iPhone model specs.

This is all pure speculation obviously.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Nobody needs more than 1GB of RAM in an iPhone. Why? Because Apple controls the hardware and software experience - and iOS is the most resource efficient mobile operating system on the planet.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Nobody needs more than 1GB of RAM in an iPhone. Why? Because Apple controls the hardware and software experience - and iOS is the most resource efficient mobile operating system on the planet.

Tell developers that. Coding for the limited amount of RAM an iPhone is quite the task.

http://www.gameclosure.com/blog/2013/03/ios-game-memory-limits

Plus it provides a sub par user experience. Switching from tapatalk to safari and searching around an finding that link caused tapatalk to get pushed out of RAM. So obnoxious.

A Prius is resource efficient when it comes to fuel, its also slow as hell. The difference is with a Prius the money saved on resources go back into the owners pocket. With an iPhone they sell it at the same price as any other high end smartphone and THEY pocket the savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.