Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I did a Google. You can connect the phone to iTunes and back it up even though it's locked. Then you can restore from dfu mode.

At this link there is a back door

http://www.netchimp.co.uk/webdesign/iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-tips/unlock-ios-8-iphone-forgot-passcode/

Good luck

Thank you. Didn't work, with assistance, and while I haven't clicked on your link yet due to wanting gto reply to posts before moving forward (and also cause my mac is allowing me to update the iPhone software, at least, and I don't want to overwhelm the system till it's done), I will check out that link soon. Thanks.

----------

As a few have mentioned here already, unless you set the phone up to wipe after 10 unsuccessful passcode attempts, you can type passcodes in forever. Or as long as the phone can still power up.

I regret to tell you that in this case you are wrong Rickdollar, I don't know if older versions might have let you do infinite number of passcode. I know for a fact that if many wrong attempts to unlock your phone would lead to the phone being completely disable (with the option of erasing data after 10 times set off), and if you don't believe me try it but back it up first lol. because once the phone is disable, the only option left after that is to erase the phone to factory settings. HT1212 apple support article.

THIS appears to be true. Having said that, it's bizarre that not all the Apple folks know this - not even in the highest-up dept. one can go. Apparently either the iPhone 6's or the latest software are so new that the "memo" hasn't gotten out to those helping people. It's incredibly frustrating. Anyway, thanks for the validation even if you didn't mean to be so nice to me lol. This is such a toxic environment here (I expected to be hated just for being angry at Apple, as well for having had the AUDACITY to not back things up as I should have...but I'm wearing a suit of armor). I knew it would be a tough crowd but I was desperate enough to hope to find a gem among all the inevitable hater posts!

----------

^^^THIS^^^

And the only way the erase data option could be turned on is by user choice.

You just keep believing that. I suppose you don't have an iPhone 6 with a recent software update on both phone and Mac? If you do, give it a go, see what happens.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
For the people who say you can keep trying forever here is what can happen:

JuXdvm3h.jpg

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA

I think they meant you can try again IN forever...
That does not always happen, by the way. I think it has to do with activation lock as well as being disabled.
My 4 year old can prove that daily. I haven't had to restore my wife's phone and he disables it any time he gets his hands on it and it's locked.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
That article that you're talking about says exactly what we've all been trying to tell the OP in this very LOOOOOOOOOOONG thread. You have a certain amount of attempts. After all those fail, your phone is disabled for a certain amount of time. You can then try another passcode after that time expires. If you fail, the phone is disabled and the time is increased.

The phone will only erase itself if YOU set it to do so. I don't care what the "apple guy" told you.

So either figure out the passcode, or buck up and erase the phone. Theres no other way. Stop wasting everyone's time here. Including your own.

Afraid you'll have to activate it with the apple id if you erase it? Don't know the password to that either?

These things were put in place to deter people from stealing our devices.

Sure have been a lot of "woops i forgot my password, help me bypass" threads lately..............

Yeah, I know my apple password. I wasn't drinking red whine while watching a movie when I memorized it. I have that saved (written down), too. Again, I'm not ALWAYS stupid. Am I wasting your time? Ha sure I am. Sounds more like you're wasting your time, reading all this. I'm here to hopefully get help. What are you here for?

----------

My advise is to quit obsessing over the photos. They aren't nearly as important as you are making them out to be.

That's hilarious. Love your kids much? Oh let me guess...you don't have kids. Loved by your grandmother much? Punish me some more why don't you, by stating that if I really cared, I wouldn't have let this happen. But again - as others are making obvious here - things have changed, without informing the customer that things have changed. When they give you the choice to set your phone to erase after 10 attempts, that implies that if you DON'T set it to erase, it simply won't. Especially considering that in the past, it meant it wouldn't! Getting it now?

----------

Maybe it's a silly idea but I just registered on the site (long time lurker) to post it...

Maybe one of your kids has deleted your touch ID and has saved his/hers.
Why dont you try unlocking the phone with their fingers?
:)

Haha not a bad idea, but no the phone won't respond to touch i.d. I wish it would. I don't know why it won't, but it won't. I think cause I lock it each time I put it down so I don't accidentally call someone. That I think makes the phone ask for the passcode before it'll let you use fingerprints from there. People are upset that I can't remember for sure but oh well - I *think* that's the case but just can't remember (and can't test it out now, for obvious reasons)!

----------

First of all apple is not at fault at all here. zero. its all on you.

second, you mention that you use your fingerprint but at the same time had to change the lock code from the kids? so which is it? Do you use the fingerprint or not??

You also state that fingerprint stops working when phone is locked.. that's not true at all. If you restart the phone then that will require the passcode.

If you would of stopped using the passcode and stuck to touch id your kids or whoever would of never been able to get it.

This reminds of the bent iPhones. people drop it and say, stupid apple...
Or they drop it and the screen breaks.. stupid apple !

Uh, okay so you're upset that I can't remember the details about when exactly my phone allows me to use touch i.d. vs. having to enter the passcode? Jesus get over it! I don't usually care about such details - as I think I said earlier, I have a busy life. Let go, bulldog.

----------

Why don't you have an idea of what passcode you used? Did you just pick random numbers?

I know it's a long ranting post, so I don't blame you for not reading it all, but as I said earlier, I remember my passcodes by visual patterns. It's always worked before. It was a square shape. Bizarre that I couldn't bring it back from multiple tries.

----------

Not much help now, OP, but in the future I'd recommend getting some sort of app that automatically uploads your photos to the cloud. I use One Drive and when I take pictures, they automatically upload to the cloud when I'm connected to wifi.

Also, you need to teach your 8 year old phone thief not to touch your phone without permission and provide adequate consequences when he disobeys.

Fair enough - totally agree. I was ignorant about how the iCloud worked before - I thought it sent things straight to my laptop which was already almost at maximum capacity. I now get why it's called a cloud, haha. But anyway yeah for now on I'll use icloud. It had never been set up properly cause I was having lots of iPhone issues in the very beginning - as many were - so was on with a helper who was walking me through some steps. At one point he said to ignore the iCloud thing as it would just slow us down (that starts it up for the first time) and said I could activate it later which I just never bothered to do (not fully understanding it).

----------

Sorry friends, there is no way around the passcode. And if you enabled the 10 passcode wipe, it will indeed wipe your device to factory settings. Nothing will be safe.

I personally manage 3000 ipads at my company, and we see this all the time. I have the ability to clear passcodes from our mobile management system, but thats the only way. If its a user owned device, you need to put it into DFU mode, and restore it from itunes. At that point it will still be activation locked to your apple ID, and you damn well better have and know your apple ID and password or that device is a brick.

So to the OP, if you are legit and this is your device, DFU mode to restore it then unlock the activation lock with your apple ID and PW. If you are a thief or you found this phone, turn it in so the real owner can have it back. Otherwise its a complete brick to anyone but the owner of that apple ID.

And furthermore, apple WILL NOT EVER reset your apple ID for you and give it to you over the phone no matter how much info you have and can verify. You will need access to the email address you used with the apple ID if you need to reset that password too.

Trust me guys, I do this for a living(Apple mobile administrator). This is the only options you have. Goodluck.

I've been on the phone with the second iPhone guy for a very long time. I think he already tried this - never did the computer or phone ask for my apple password. Would you be willing to call me and try walking me through it?! I know it's a weird request but honestly, if you say yes I'll pm you my #. I'm in Portland, OR.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm sorry but I need a little help understanding here. You have years of photos on your 6 plus but no back up? Or all these recent pictures?

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
The only thing I can think of is to post in the jailbreak section of the forums, maybe someone can think of a way to get photos off, but don't get your hopes up.

I appreciate it, thank you. I tried two different 3rd party apps that wouldn't work - both claimed they'd work but then still, a box popped up saying I needed to type in my passcode in order to be able to use their software. Ugh.

----------

Can't you just back it up whilst it's locked and then restore from backup after you've erased the phone?

No, I get this message (and I tried multiple times):

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone '[globity gloo's] iPhone' because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be backed up." Thank you though.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I had a similar issue with my 3GS after I got my iPhone 6+. I hadn't used it for a month and couldn't remember the pass code. I always used a combination of 1,2,3,4 in different order so there was a limited number of sequences.

Once I got the try again in 5 minutes or 15 minutes message, I found that if I connected the phone to iTunes by USB, clicked on backup, then cancel, and disconnect the iPhone; I got another new set of retries. Repeating this for a few cycles I finally hit the proper sequence.

Not related (at least I hope so) but a week later the the battery in the 3GS ballooned up and popped the display panel off.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Thats what I believe is possible, I mentioned this, but no replies from anyone.

http://www.igeeksblog.com/i-forgot-my-iphone-passcode/

No, sadly, this article isn't accurate. It may be that it's older and this has to do with new software security 'improvements.' This is the message I click on backup:

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone “__________'s iPhone” because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be backed up."

Thank you for trying and sharing the link though!

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
All you have to do is find a friend with an iPhone to let you try mimic your situation with his/her phone. See if it erases their phone.

Actually, the second iPhone rep is doing it on his right now! He had to leave work so he's going to get back to me on what happens. His phone is older but his software on both his phone and computer are up to date. He seems to be trying to understand it himself, lol. Actually it's not that funny - it's pretty frustrating that everyone I've talked to at Apple seems as in the dark as I am. His reasoning was that the changes are so rapid it takes a while to catch up. He simply doesn't know what will happen after the 3rd 60 minute shutout. He called me 20 minutes ago saying he was at the first 60 minute point, so I won't know for a few hours. I asked and he of course is backed up. I'd feel bad if he lost anything on my account! Thank you for the suggestion.

----------

Can anyone comment or check if a backup can be made in iTunes on a locked phone? If so, problem solved, back it up, DFU and restore it, sync it. The passcode will be off by default

Here's what it said when I tried this:

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone “__________'s iPhone” because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be backed up."

Thanks.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005

Oh geez! Ha - is that your phone?! If so, thank you for testing it out! I assume YOU were intelligent enough to back things up first!

Again, I'm only so upset because my phone asked me - when setting up the phone initially - whether I want the phone to erase everything after 10 failed passcode attempts, as a security measure. Because I was asked this (and of course I didn't choose that option!), the implication by default was that I could try several more attempts and nothing bad would happen. I only tried a few more - it wasn't all that many! But even so, I *should* have been able to try 50 more if I so desired, based on the misleading information. Plus, in the past, apparently this was allowed! So it's a new thing, and hardly anyone knows it. Well, now thanks to this oh so looooong thread, hopefully some will now know it. Not that anyone on HERE would ever be STUPID enough not to have backed up beforehand!!! Apparently I'm the first one in history ever to do so. ;)

----------

I think they meant you can try again IN forever...
That does not always happen, by the way. I think it has to do with activation lock as well as being disabled.
My 4 year old can prove that daily. I haven't had to restore my wife's phone and he disables it any time he gets his hands on it and it's locked.

How old is her phone and software? Just trying to put the pieces together, thanks.

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I regret to tell you that in this case you are wrong Rickdollar, I don't know if older versions might have let you do infinite number of passcode. I know for a fact that if many wrong attempts to unlock your phone would lead to the phone being completely disable (with the option of erasing data after 10 times set off), and if you don't believe me try it but back it up first lol. because once the phone is disable, the only option left after that is to erase the phone to factory settings. HT1212 apple support article.

I would like to point out that this only happens after an outrageously high amount of attempts at your passcode. I don't remeber the exact amount but I know its like 30+ attempts. I saw this happen to a friends phone and I just had to do a DFU mode restore and restore via iCloud.

My advise is to quit obsessing over the photos. They aren't nearly as important as you are making them out to be.

I disagree. My phone could go corrupt and loose my contacts, Notes, etc and I would pissed that it did, but if I lost my photos I would just loose it. This is why I backup my phone constantly and import to Aperture whenever I come back from a family function or something similar. Then I tell Time Machine to back up my disks. Every month I then copy my Aperture library to an external hard drive. Pictures are important to me, especially since I have been scanning heaps of old family photos that have been handed down to me.

To top it off, the most important photos to me are also backed up to Dropbox and iCloud Drive. I don't take chances.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I'm sorry but I need a little help understanding here. You have years of photos on your 6 plus but no back up? Or all these recent pictures?

I thought the last time I backed up was a month ago but whoa was I wrong - it turns out it was mid-October. Doesn't seem like that long but with a family and b-day and holiday gatherings as well as pics and vids of a dying grandmother talking about her childhood... ugh... I gotta stop trying to explain myself. I would have backed up but my computer was full. My iCloud was disabled due to a couple of reasons which I'd rather not explain again. But anyway, yeah, I get your message loud and clear.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I would like to point out that this only happens after an outrageously high amount of attempts at your passcode. I don't remeber the exact amount but I know its like 30+ attempts. I saw this happen to a friends phone and I just had to do a DFU mode restore and restore via iCloud.

What's weird is it wasn't all that many times. It was more than 10 but then it started giving me less tries. I think it went like this, but I might be wrong: 5 tries (1 min. time out), 5 or less tries (another 1 min. time out), 2 or 3 tries (5 minute time out), another couple of tries (?) and then another 5 min. time out...and then 1 try and 60 minutes time out. 1 more try then 60 minutes more and that's as far as I was willing to try. And to be perfectly honest I may have been given less tries than that. I was only given lots of tries the first two 1-minute attempts then the amount they'd let me try went way down thereafter.

----------

FYi, step 2 of 4 just got completed for syncing in iTunes and now it can't continue cause it's asking for my passcode again. :( Whatever - was just trying whatever I could...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Your only answer is going to be to figure out your passcode. I realize that is not what you want to hear, but better hearing the truth, right?

Was your passcode just some random number you picked? Was it new? I would start with writing down the numbers that you might have used and going one by one.

I completely understand your frustration with Apple, but if they didn't implement something like this it would essentially mean every phone could be brute forced fairly quickly by just typing every possible combination in; if you want to get in, you will.

There are a lot of could have, should have, would have scenarios, but all of that is irrelevant, really. I wish you the best of luck in solving this issue. Ever since I lost some pics years ago I make it a point to back things up. I have an external drive purchased solely for backing up pics/videos and also use flickr for auto backup of videos now. Totally worth the $90 I spent a few years back for the peace of mind; the added redundancy of flickr makes it so that I don't have to do manual backups daily. My wife also knows my passcode (and I know hers). We also keep them written on a piece "random" of paper in the fire safe.

Last edited:

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't read all of this thread. Could you by chance have enabled iCloud photo stream? If so, launch iPhoto and you should be able to at least retrieve your last 1,000 photos.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
am i completely crazy for suggesting you get drunk and attempt it again? kinda like retracing your steps, see if you remember your pattern then.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
To the OP - your still not making sense. Locking your iPhone in the manner you describe DOES NOT make the phone require a passcode when woke up from sleep if you have Touch ID turned on. Just as a note, when it says slide to unlock, do not slide, just rest whatever dinger you registered on the home button until it unlocks. I don't care how new your software is this is the case. If you insist this is not the case then you have a defective phone. Now if your actually powering down the phone then powering up then yes it will require the passcode. I would really hate to think your powering your phone up and down that much all the time though. That's a lot of wasted time and missed messages and phone calls.

----------

Also, I had a friend willing to try on his 6+ the "wiping all data after so many attempts even with the feature turned off" claim. It DID NOT WIPE his phone. The time until he could try again increased but his phone never wiped all the data. And yes his software was completely up to date.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I thought the last time I backed up was a month ago but whoa was I wrong - it turns out it was mid-October. Doesn't seem like that long but with a family and b-day and holiday gatherings as well as pics and vids of a dying grandmother talking about her childhood... ugh... I gotta stop trying to explain myself. I would have backed up but my computer was full. My iCloud was disabled due to a couple of reasons which I'd rather not explain again. But anyway, yeah, I get your message loud and clear.

No need to explain yourself. I was just wondering how you got all your pictures to your 6 plus. I thought you didn't have a back up at all.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm absolutely amazed that you don't at least have an iCloud backup, OP.

If my dying grandmother had let me record video, I'd have backed it up immediately, just in case my phone was damaged beyond repair, stolen, etc.

I'm big on backing up phones.

Also? Never change PW while drinking. Or at night, unless you work nights and are very alert.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
That's hilarious. Love your kids much?

Yeah, I love them enough to back up photos of them, especially ones taken months ago.

Amazing how so many "I lost my password" and "Some guy didn't do the carrier unlock properly", "can't get into iCloud" threads we have. So many honest people having troubles.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzN3aQxItBY&autoplay=1
I don't know if this will help or if it's just a waste of time. By chance did you have a google plus or real player on your phone? These programs have picture backup features enabled.

No but thanks for sharing a possible solution.

----------

I'm absolutely amazed that you don't at least have an iCloud backup, OP.

If my dying grandmother had let me record video, I'd have backed it up immediately, just in case my phone was damaged beyond repair, stolen, etc.

I'm big on backing up phones.

Also? Never change PW while drinking. Or at night, unless you work nights and are very alert.

Yes, this has been well established, but thank you again.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
If anyone is curious enough (I should be so lucky!) that he/she would be willing to call me and try walking me through any steps that might be worth trying, I'd be more than happy to share my phone number in a private message. Hell if you get it to work I will PAY you - not even kidding. You can talk to my kids and husband on speaker phone if you want to be convinced it's really my phone, lol.

Just remember that we've already tried hooking it up to iTunes and backing up. It won't let me through without my knowing my passcode. Also, I've tried two different 3rd party companies claiming they can get the job done. Nope - passcode still required.

I may actually rather just keep my phone in hibernation mode with hopes of finding a way in weeks, months or years later (getting a new phone) rather than pulling the plug on all those photos. The question is, will Apple allow this and not make it too complicated of a process (same owner, two phones, etc)? Not that I can really afford to but so far this is all hypothetical for now...

By the way I got an email back from the Apple rep who tried it on his own phone. I have no way to call him back but I'm a little confused about what his response means. Here's what he wrote in the email:

"Hello ______,

I tried calling you but I got the message your mailbox is full. The third time does lock
the device and it says connect to iTunes.

Best regards,

______
iOS Senior Advisor
Apple"

(keeping his name blank just in case it's better for him that I do)

I think he's just saying that it'll take him back to the step where we already were, which is where I have the option of updating, backing up (not a true option) or restoring. Sigh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.