Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Good morning all. I have an iPhone 6 plus and the last week or so I've tried using apple pay at several different retailers and it will not work. Everthing is the same as far as the credit card etc. When I approach the reader with my phone it will not wake up, even if i set my finger on the touch id, nothing happens. The touch id works perfect when i go to my mobile apps that use it such as Chase, Amazon etc, so the touch id works. Has anyone experienced this and what was done? Thanks so much.

ivxNinja

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
First thing that comes to mind is, the retailers you had tried, do they support Apple Pay? I have found that if a retailer had NFC, my Apple Pay would work even if the retailers didn't technically support it. If it was a retailer you have used Apple Pay with in the past, you may want to test to see if your NFC is working correctly. When was the last time you power cycled your phone?

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
First thing that comes to mind is, the retailers you had tried, do they support Apple Pay? I have found that if a retailer had NFC, my Apple Pay would work even if the retailers didn't technically support it. If it was a retailer you have used Apple Pay with in the past, you may want to test to see if your NFC is working correctly. When was the last time you power cycled your phone?
Yes, same retailers as I always used. Walgreens, McDonalds etc. I tried power cycle every time it did not work.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Yes, same retailers as I always used. Walgreens, McDonalds etc. I tried power cycle every time it did not work.
Is there a way to test the nfc without attempting to pay for something? I did notice if I go into my passbook and tap on the credit card used for Apple pay and touch my finger on the Touch ID it seems it says hold closer, now this I noticed when I got home and wasn't near a reader

wallaceb

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Is there a way to test the nfc without attempting to pay for something? I did notice if I go into my passbook and tap on the credit card used for Apple pay and touch my finger on the Touch ID it seems it says hold closer, now this I noticed when I got home and wasn't near a reader

I have the EXACT same problem with my 6 plus. Can anyone help?

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Well here is where I stand. After numerous resets Apple Pay was still no go. Finally decided to go to the Apple store and here is the breakdown. After explaining whats happening to the genius bar they decided to do another restore from my icloud backup to see if its possibly corrupt and checked Apple Pay as I did and nothing, next they tried restoring the phone as new and again tried Apple Pay and nothing, no questions asked they gave me a new phone and restored from icloud backup and BAM it worked. He did mention that this isnt the first time he saw this and thinks that some of the phones have a faulty NFC chip. Best part of it is I dont have a corrupt backup and was able to restore everything without a glitch. Doesnt appear to be software related and I recommend getting it swapped.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Try going to an Apple store and try purchasing a charger. If it doesn't work, at least the employee can see what is wrong and help fix the issue.

Reactions: pierluigiluceri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.