Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I wish it had more memory, but quite honestly I have yet to run into an issue with low memory (from what I can tell), and I often edit photos, video, and graphic intensive files on my iPhone.

Honestly, I think we could read less into Hardware specs on these devices, more into how well mobile copes with Memory management.

randj89

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Rhode Island, USA
It doesn't bother me

IOS is so good with memory management that I don't care how much ram I have. Like hello you're not gonna do 10 different things in your phone at the exact same second. For me 1GB is enough on a phone.

In a computer is a total different world for us graphic artists and web developers or even home users.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
That's it! I'm going Android where I can get 25,000* cores and 800* TB of RAM because more is always better.

*These numbers might be an exaggeration.

/I'm being facetious but there is no end to the number of people who try and use the RAM/# of cores argument as to why Android-based phones are superior to iPhones. It's nauseating (and I use a Nexus 4).

Last edited:

DragoniteD

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Not a surprise

It is not a big surprise since the memory of iPad Air is just 1GB, while iPad Air has many more pixels. Apple is good at optimizing the resources. At least the 1GB memory device runs more fluently than the 3 or even 4 GB Android devices.

We are users, why caring about the hardware? Experience is what we want!

As long as my device runs fluently, I don't really care whether it has 1GB memory or 2GB or even 500MB

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The more I think about it the more I think the 6+ has too many compromises. Too little RAM according to this rumor, a slightly increased resolution that requires scaling to get to 3x, and a janky one handed mode. Disappointing.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The more I sit on this the more I'm leaning towards not getting it. Specs are kinda disappointing in a techie's mind

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I have the same app and I am not entirely sure if the app can detect how much total RAM is on the device without code changes. I will wait for Anandtech, IFixIt, or someone else to to do more thorough investigation than relying on some iOS app.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
They must of clocked the CPU/GPU higher in the plus.

I can't believe they would make the plus and make it perform worse than the smaller model

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Also seeing as the 6+ has a higher resolution it will require more for graphics processing i presume thus less avaliable over all, more pixels to push more ram required.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
LOL @ the overreactions to this revelation.

I'm pretty sure that this phone will have more RAM than the Tricorder on Star Trek.

Its OK ppl. Pretty sure that you will be able to take calls.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
The amount of RAM has little to no impact on battery life.

Perhaps, perhaps not in the iPhone 6. There are certainly more open (as in the design is open) examples where RAM definitely has an effect on power consumption. If you've ever burned your hand on the RAM on a video card... (extreme example, but just to illustrate).

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
I don't see the big deal...I've never had a problem with the amount of RAM on my iPhone 5 and I multitask.

Sure, Apple could of ponied up and increased the RAM to 1gb and the minimum memory to 32gb, it's not that big of a deal.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The more I think about it the more I think the 6+ has too many compromises. Too little RAM according to this rumor, a slightly increased resolution that requires scaling to get to 3x, and a janky one handed mode. Disappointing.

It does have some short comings but that one handed mode is a complete gimmick and not needed at all.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
The more I sit on this the more I'm leaning towards not getting it. Specs are kinda disappointing in a techie's mind

Spec racing is that when it really doesn't matter like: My over clocked Haswell running at 4ghz is uber faster than your Ivy Bridge running at 3.8ghz. It's not spec racing when just having 2 tabs open in Safari frequently results in a reload

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.