Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
This is such a dumb analysis and conclusion.

Demand for the Plus was clearly underestimated by Apple, the product forecasting team got it wrong, so bigger orders for parts now just means they are playing catchup with demand.

This.
It says the 6 Plus accounts for 60% of new iPhone shipments and NOT that 60% of all customers are buying the 6 Plus.

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
There's got to be some philosophical way of explaining why customers blindly follow the "bigger is better" mentality. I'd bet even if the iPhone 6+ had a crazy 8 inch screen that sales would yield the same results because the 4.7 inch screen is automatically "inferior."

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
it seems that there's a lot of people out there that don't take advices from Apple's dedicated forums, otherwise they'd leave those "freakin' ugly large phablets" on the shelves.
Or most of Apple's dedicated forums' people live in a personal self-shaped comfortable world

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Seems surprising, but probably this is just catching up to demand.

The 6 Plus opened up a new market, with people rushing to buy one. The 6 is just the regular update, so it targets people who already have one. They'll be okay waiting till its time to upgrade.

I'm willing to bet that the distribution will even out to about 66%/33% in the long run.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
If you believe only 9 customers complained then you're naive. ... I made the mistake of telling Apple that I replaced their faulty battery in my wife's iPhone 5. They refused to touch my phone due to unauthorized repairs. So yes; I would not say one word about a bent iPhone when making my return.

You think you can return a bent phone and by not telling them that's it's bent, they wouldn't notice?

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

The 6 Plus opened up a new market, with people rushing to buy one. The 6 is just the regular update, so it targets people who already have one. They'll be okay waiting till its time to upgrade.

I'm willing to bet that the distribution will even out to about 66%/33% in the long run.

I upgrade every year, this year I went for the 6 Plus after trying both the 6 and 6 Plus out. After 2 weeks of use I still love it and couldn't see myself going to the smaller version.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I don't need the bigger phone but the camera in the 6+ has a optical image stabilizer, that alone is enough to choose the plus.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Still haven't seen a single one in nature. The 6, on the other hand, is popping up everywhere here in London. Mine even popped down on the pavement and has some "light usage marks" already (but I haven't changed my mind about cases. They are ugly and bulky)

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

I know a lot buyers are having a change of heart and going for the +.

----------

Still haven't seen a single one in nature. The 6, on the other hand, is popping up everywhere here in London. Mine even popped down on the pavement and has some "light usage marks" already (but I haven't changed my mind about cases. They are ugly and bulky)

In NYC I see slightly more +'s in the wild

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Where are all those naysayers who said 5.5 was too big and no one would want it.

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
As the 6+ seems to have gone in to production later than the 6 and there were shortages on the initial release these extra parts could be reflecting catch up to demand and not be an actual indicator of relative sales.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
lot of complainers in here that are stuck in the past. technology will evolve you need to learn how to adapt and not linger in the past. in 20 years will you all still be complaining about it was sooooo good in 2010? I'm happy for apple actually growing up a little.

Dougie83

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Brum, UK
Whether it is Apple 6 or 6+. Apple is what people want and the more relevant statistics will be in a years time. There are many, like myself waiting for the dust to settle before making an order for a couple as Christmas approaches.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not that it is really a competition but I am surprised. I've seen dozen's of standard iPhone 6's yet only a couple of Plus's in my travels. Well if people prefer the phablet, good luck to them I say :)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
60 % of the new iphone users will own a phablet? Wow... :(

Phablet is just an artificial term for a larger phone - historically a non-iphone. Truth is, it's not really that big. It certainly doesn't approach the utility of a true tablet.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011

I got a quick look at both in the apple story the day they came out. My wife' siphoned 6+ just got delivered yesterday. It looks sharp and the screen is amazing. Definitely dwarfs my iPhone 5s. I plan to wait until the iphone 6S, and will play with her phone in the meantime before I decide which size to get.

One surprising thing, it fits into pockets remarkably well and is not even noticeable. I put hers in my pocket as a joke when we went to the store and completely forgot about it on the drive home until I pulled it out of my pocket when we arrived. It is a little bigger than I would like just handling it. My wife loves it though.

norisq

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Only 9 customers and only idiots would actually try and bend thier device. You don't see Pepsi or Coke giving refunds for you carrying a bottle of drink your pocket and sat on it and break it. Everything breaks and bend some even have #Gaps so we just need to be smart with our device.

You're kidding, right? This clearly is a design failure. It bends in people's pockets. And where do you get that number from? Nine customers? I personally know three guys who had problems with the device bending. I think it shouldn't be us adjusting to the products they throw at us, but the other way around. I'd rather have a device that is smart with me, than me being smart with my device. But that's just my opinion...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.