Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tacorrito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
A few months ago, my iPhone started freezing to a blue screen, or having random horizontal lines flickering around the screen. I tried to restore it in recovery mode, but it would often freeze/get lines during the restoration process. Somehow a restore worked the next day, and it seemed all right (despite the accelerometer not working after that).

Today, it started freezing again, and I'm slowly trying to coax it into a proper restore. I've looked around to see what could be the cause of the problem, but haven't really found anything. Would it be a software/hardware problem, and could it warrant for a replacement?

I've attached some images of the iPhone freezing.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 102

tacorrito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Nope, nothing major apart from everyday nicks and bumps.
The two episodes happened out of nowhere- I just installed a new app on the phone when it started freezing, and the more recent one happened when I was on Spotify. It seems interesting how a restore managed to delay the freezing for a few months though!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Take it to Apple. Repeated blue screens (or any other color, red & green are also common) are typically a sign of hardware failure.

Sorry. Back it up ASAP. Been there, done that with an iPhone 6 last fall. The Apple Genius I dealt with then commented that one blue screen might be a fluke. Two or more were a clear call to get it in to be checked.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Mine started doing that today! It rebooted a couple times in my pocket (it asked for passcode next time I tried using Touch ID). Then I tried shutting it off and restarting (to kill any rogue processes), but it couldn't boot. It would blue screen, then reboot, then blue screen, then reboot.. I guess it's off to the Apple Store for me. (I didn't have weird horizontal lines like yours though.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.