Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Good luck dragging apps from screen to screen with a case on

I already find it tough to drag an app icon from one screen to the next when there's a case on the phone. The lip of the case makes it harder to get to the edge of the screen. This would make it virtually impossible. Apple would have to account for that in their jiggily mode functionality.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I already find it tough to drag an app icon from one screen to the next when there's a case on the phone. The lip of the case makes it harder to get to the edge of the screen. This would make it virtually impossible. Apple would have to account for that in their jiggily mode functionality.

True, and that goes with the whole "iOS8 improvements" thing many on these forums have been saying.

Although, I do like that you can arrange the icons via iTunes when the device is plugged in. That's something I'd love to see in Android.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
adly it won't happen. Apple didn't add any extra software tweaks for the iPad Mini and iPad at all, and they both have fare more screen space than a rumored iPhone 6.

in the end, the iPhone will still just be a media consumption device that gives users a window into certain things they want to do. Apple wants you to buy a tablet and usually both sizes of them, to do any real work. The iPhone users will still need to carry 2-5 additional devices with them daily.

Yet this strategy for apple is yeilding excellent results in the "enterprise" market.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...bling-up-enterprise-market-share-from-android

It’s also an indication that when BYOD wrested control over what devices consumers used from IT, they overwhelmingly chose an easy to use product that focused on UI and usability, perhaps even at times over depth

Perhaps people do not want a single device that replaces everything from a phone to a tablet to a desktop? Simplicity and easy of use does seem to have some takers ;)...I wonder why Android is not pushing 10-20 multi screens through its latest software? Google also behind the curve of Samsung :)

I doubt folks want to see this from a smartphone..Some might..want to replace the workstation, supercomputer, phone, desktop, dvd player, xbox, babysitter, air conditioner with their smartphone but most arent ;)

10-keith-hetherington.jpg

Last edited:

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Interesting thing about the Note though, it's far from being a niche device. And I hope Apple realizes that users don't want to spend more money to get functionality that the iPhone has baked in.

How many NOTE 3's have sold since its launch? Compare that to non Phablet smartphones (your basic 3.5 - 5 inch phones that lack the stylus and power features)..Taking 90 days that includes the note 3 and compares it to the lowest sales quarter for the iPhone (With the launch of new product (s) comming soon) is not smart..We know the what the iPhone sale are in the months from the launch of two new varients (which also include the launch of the latest galaxy note varient)..Even the 5C has sold more in October and November..15 million over 90 days vs 9 million in one week.(for iPhones ).You do the math :)

http://allthingsd.com/20131213/iphones-dominate-sales-at-all-four-major-u-s-carriers/?mod=tw_appl

Where does the Note 3 stand in Android smartphone market share? You do the math..compare all android devices sold and see the marketshare of the 5.5+ form factor and you'll realize that it is a very niche category..

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Thanks for the laugh. A couple neat features from Samsung that take advantage of the increased screen size don't fix the stretched phone apps and the worlds worst desktop. Stylus support is admittedly nice though.
I know only one (1) Android app that doesn't take advantage of the "phablet" form factor and modern screen resolutions.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
iPhone 6 Said to Adopt 'Bezel-Free' Display

I swear Apple makes this shlt up and leaks it just to watch Samsung scramble some hastily preemptive copy to market!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I agree ONLY because an Apple phablet with iOS7 won't do anything more than what an iPad does but on a smaller screen.

iOS7 is down right archaic on the iPad, and a phablet will just be another screen size for devs to deal with.

The Note 2 and 3 on the other hand, have the added advantage of software that actually takes advantage of the screen size and the stylus. Not to mention the added benefit of being able to plug into a display and use a BT keyboard and mouse to navigate . . . .essentially turning a phablet into a desktop.

Hard to tell if your joking or serious here.
A tablet is not meant to be a desktop. A phablet screen is too small for serious desktop work. Even a tablet screen would be too small for much of the work done on desktops.

Say you buy a tablet (or god forbid a phablet), and a bt keyboard, and a display as you say, for all of that cost you could buy a decent portable computer and stylus. All that could easily run you over $1k and that's macbook air territory.

A tablet is great because when done well it's not a desktop OS. It is it's ow beast. And that's why I bought my iPad.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
A tablet is great because when done well it's not a desktop OS. It is it's ow beast. And that's why I bought my iPad.

And most do for this reason alone. People like this new expereince that is much different from what they are used to in the past.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
The one on the far right doubles as a windshield.

----------

Yeah, there's nothing tech-related holding Apple back from making larger screens, just software/fragmentation/marketing.

I actually thought Apple were better than that..or you know all that as a fact?..hmm can't be software? as iPhone apps run on iPad, which is a lot bigger! fragmentation? again iPhone apps run on iPad, marketing? err dunno whats that gota do with making a screen slightly bigger.

Maybe you just have very small hands or a very small car..

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I find it ironic that the iPhone keeps getting bigger when early on, the complaints it got about being too small were met with it should be even smaller. Clearly, Samsung believed bigger is better and I see them all over the place. On the one hand, they look ridiculous as "phones" since phones have become so small, but assuming your pocket can accommodate one, you can't deny the advantages of having more screen space for both fingers and display.

OGDK

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2014
I actually thought Apple were better than that..or you know all that as a fact?..hmm can't be software? as iPhone apps run on iPad, which is a lot bigger! fragmentation? again iPhone apps run on iPad, marketing? err dunno whats that gota do with making a screen slightly bigger.

Maybe you just have very small hands or a very small car..

Software and fragmentation are related… Bigger screens means that Apple should probably allow for apps to be built to better suit those devices. For example, every single iPad-optimized app had to be optimized for iPad by the developers, and Apple had to make all the APIs to let them do that.

Marketing: Maybe Apple thought that it would cost more to make the bigger screen options than they would get in additional profits from more people buying iPhones. They could also be saving "new features" for later iPhone versions like they did with the 3GS and video recording (my Motorola Razr had that).

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
...The Note 2 and 3 on the other hand, have the added advantage of software that actually takes advantage of the screen size and the stylus. Not to mention the added benefit of being able to plug into a display and use a BT keyboard and mouse to navigate . . . .essentially turning a phablet into a desktop.
hate to break it to you, but you can plug in a display and BT keyboard & mouse with any iOS device...but, if you are trying to do this, you've missed the point of getting a tablet, it was never Apple's intention to replace the desktop with a tablet, and the companies trying to do so are not so successful.

There are wireless ways to do things: AirPlay, AirPrint, AirDrop, etc.

But, what will really make Apple shine in the mobile arena will be iBeacons. It is still in early stages, but, once it takes off (I'd say within 18 months), it will have a greater effect in the market than NFC ever will.

*As far as an iPhone with no bezel goes: not happening...it will still have something around the edges, but, thinner bezel for sure.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Niffty...

Only one question... Wouldn't this mean I'd get more smudges, not less ?

You don't hold a device in your palm, you tend to wrap your fingers around...

With the black bezel... although it smudged, it was less noticeable than the screen, plus it gave you space to rest your thumbs without needing to move them to see whats underneath...

This looks good, but at a trade-off..

I would have much preferred to see "less bezel" much less, in the height, than the width.. since their is a huge area there you can get rid off.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hard to tell if your joking or serious here.
A tablet is not meant to be a desktop. A phablet screen is too small for serious desktop work. Even a tablet screen would be too small for much of the work done on desktops.

Say you buy a tablet (or god forbid a phablet), and a bt keyboard, and a display as you say, for all of that cost you could buy a decent portable computer and stylus. All that could easily run you over $1k and that's macbook air territory.

A little of both. It's not hard to see why such a device would be beneficial. Again, if you want to carry three or four devices with you, then sure it's fine to keep things isolated.

If you are trying to save space, then make take the best of those devices and package them together.

Everyone says in their own right that something won't work this way or that way, but we all said the same thing when Apple removed the floppy drive and optical drive. Then we said the same thing when the Mac Pro was shrunk.

If everyone keeps assuming that the iPad is post pc, then common sense dictates that users will want more PC functions from their devices. Why else even put the firmware in for BT keyboards and mice? Or pay the $129 for a keyboard case for the iPad?

The biggest reason to get a tablet and connect it to a monitor and keyboard? To be able to take it with you when you need too. And an 8" tablet is always going to be easier to carry than even an 11" Air.

hate to break it to you, but you can plug in a display and BT keyboard & mouse with any iOS device...but, if you are trying to do this, you've missed the point of getting a tablet, it was never Apple's intention to replace the desktop with a tablet, and the companies trying to do so are not so successful.

No not at all. And it's a tired excuse to say that the companies trying to do so are not successful unless you a) name the companies and b) define success. Also, it was indeed Apple's intention to replace the desktop. Apple coined the "post PC era" mantra and trotted that around for months.

Either way, the plethora of keyboard accessories for the iPad makes the comment moot.

iBeacon will be just as useful as NFC, which is not very much.

Personally speaking, it's a joke, as people will most likely demand all mobile device providers adhere to more standards based technology.

----------

I doubt folks want to see this from a smartphone..Some might..want to replace the workstation, supercomputer, phone, desktop, dvd player, xbox, babysitter, air conditioner with their smartphone but most arent ;)

While I do agree somewhat now, only a fool will forget that the same was said with the MP3 player, video camera, still camera, cell phone, pager, PDA, rolodex, etc. etc. etc. that the iPhone replaced in but an evening.

Now, this isn't to say that a tablet will ever replace a real workstation. One thing that's remained consistent in the computing industry has been big iron systems. No matter how capable and powerful mobile devices get for the masses, high end users and enterprise will always need big, fast, upgradable computers.

Last edited:

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
the OP iPhone 6 wallpaper. I've seen it before, but its not the original on the iPhone. Could someone link me to the wallpaper that is in the OP post?

thank you :)

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Software and fragmentation are related… Bigger screens means that Apple should probably allow for apps to be built to better suit those devices. For example, every single iPad-optimized app had to be optimized for iPad by the developers, and Apple had to make all the APIs to let them do that.

Marketing: Maybe Apple thought that it would cost more to make the bigger screen options than they would get in additional profits from more people buying iPhones. They could also be saving "new features" for later iPhone versions like they did with the 3GS and video recording (my Motorola Razr had that).

Fragmentation doesn't stop people running iPhone apps on the iPad, and thats a lot larger than any phone might be, so just enlarging them doesn't cause fragmentation, thats an old Apple excuse for not wanting to spend money developing it, meanwhile developers can update their apps for native resolution.

Marketing - that was my entire point Samsung bought out the S2 and visually looked much nicer than the iPhone at the time, if an average customer didn't know Apple or samsung and walked into a shop to buy a phone and picked both up 9 times out of ten you buy the Samsung, it looked nicer because of the nice larger screen and was cheaper. Hence why they sold like hot cakes here in the UK.! if they had not stuck their head in the sand and released a larger screen iPhone they wouldn't have lost so much market share. They are now having to develop a larger screen phone otherwise they won't compete- 2 years too late! people do want a larger screen simple as that!

You might not like a large screen but there are people that do, I've waited for one for years, and am tired of Apple thinking they can dictate to their customers. Look at how they have completely messed up Final Cut , all the editors and media companies I know are dropping it..I bet when a large screen iPhone 6 comes out most of those that said they don't want a larger screen buy one!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If everyone keeps assuming that the iPad is post pc, then common sense dictates that users will want more PC functions from their devices. Why else even put the firmware in for BT keyboards and mice? Or pay the $129 for a keyboard case for the iPad?

The biggest reason to get a tablet and connect it to a monitor and keyboard? To be able to take it with you when you need too. And an 8" tablet is always going to be easier to carry than even an 11" Air.

I think the iPad is not post-PC. That term "post-PC" to me is just so very wrong. The iPad is a PC. Just a different form factor. And I agree an 8 inch tablet could be a replacement for a notebook in the way you said it one day. You'd just have the tablet use OS X when hooked up to the keyboard on your desk (touch screen would be disabled here). And on the run with just the screen/tablet part you'd run iOS. Two separate but linked partitions.
Or maybe have the tablet part as large as the MBA screen is now.

The downside would be if you wanted a keyboard on the run, it's a separate piece of hardware, unless the two could slot into each other to become one piece of hardware.

This is nothing to do with phablets though. This 8 inch tablet has nothing to do with phones. It's way to large to be a usable phone (in the way we know phones today).

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I think the iPad is not post-PC. That term "post-PC" to me is just so very wrong. The iPad is a PC. Just a different form factor. And I agree an 8 inch tablet could be a replacement for a notebook in the way you said it one day. You'd just have the tablet use OS X when hooked up to the keyboard on your desk (touch screen would be disabled here). And on the run with just the screen/tablet part you'd run iOS. Two separate but linked partitions.
Or maybe have the tablet part as large as the MBA screen is now.

The downside would be if you wanted a keyboard on the run, it's a separate piece of hardware, unless the two could slot into each other to become one piece of hardware.

This is nothing to do with phablets though. This 8 inch tablet has nothing to do with phones. It's way to large to be a usable phone (in the way we know phones today).

True, and while the concept of the switchable UI is nice, I think we'll need a new way of doing things before it takes hold.

While I enjoy Windows 8 on an 8" tablet, the UI is still a bit jarring at times. Slapping me out of Metro and dumping me into the desktop (full Window 8) and leaving me with tiny UI elements to touch. It's far more enjoyable with a keyboard and mouse, where Metro can be on one screen and the full OS can be on the other.

I agree about the post PC term too. Tablets have been around for a while, even ones running gimped OSes. The term phablet is going in that bin for me too. It's nice to separate them and smaller devices, but in the end they are just dumb big phones with a niche market.

Now, if a company is going to make a "phablet" they need to make it something more than just a dumb big phone, hence my propensity to have it be as much of a tablet as necessary, and my propensity to say that the iPhone will either stay the same size, or they will release something entirely different.

Making the iPhone 6 dumb big and not adding and special functionality will make it simply useless.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Making the iPhone 6 dumb big and not adding and special functionality will make it simply useless.

Perhaps to you, and the way you use your devices..What about those consumers (an overwhelming majority in my opinion) that love the functionality of the current iphone and IOS and just want a bigger screen to enjoy their content better ? (Browsing, app expereince, games, videos etc)..

I think the major concern for apple would be to appeal to its strongest and largest customer base rather than start to add features into future OS iterations which loose the simplicity and begin to become tough to understand and that introduces a learning curve into the entire equation. Although, i do agree with what you say in principle I feel that apple will be quite cautious when it comes to dumping capability and features into the larger form factors and future ios's that replicate an even larger number of complex PC tasks..for they would not want to alienate their largest customer base that does essentially a few things with its smartphones and/or tablets. Given the iPad's outrageous marketshare in enterprise and business i do not see much pressure comming from either android or windows hardware that will challenge apple to add a ton of features onto IOS really fast. If those systems for so much more capable and that capability was so "desirable" then apple would be loosing marketshare in the supposedly "heavy" enterprise market with its tablets...I do not see any such thing happening.

Enterprise mobile services vendor Good Technology reported that Apple's iPad accounted for more than 91 percent of enterprise tablet deployments

Good.iPad.Q1.2014.png

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...enterprise-tablets-ios-takes-73-share-overall

To whom will the added PC like features appeal? To the enterprise? Are they really asking them for it, or are they leaving apple and ios and heading towards competition because it offers those features? What about the normal smart_phone_tab consumer? What are that person's habbits? What PC like features does that person replace with his/her tab? Does he really want extra features that replace some of the complex PC tasks? Is he leaving apple and heading towards the competition in droves because they pocess those features?
Do the GEEKs want this? The IT folks perhaps? Sure! Are they a significant demographic that drive IOS development? Somehow i doubt it ;)..

I am all for better mirroring, more robust PC like tasks, multi screens and what not..Provided apple does an amazing job with implementation (not like my note 3) and does so in a way that does not remove the simplicity and elegance of IOS..Their is so much you can bloat the software and overwhelm the customer with features before the entire expereince starts to go down hill. Apple has a sweet spot in my opinion that appeals to the broadest demographic...My company spent a small fortune on redoing their entire computer and IT hardware..We wanted iPhones..our CEO also wanted the same..Only reason we got handed S4's and Note3's was because T-Mobile allows wifi calling and these devices allowed them..We didnt buy them for any other feature...We also bought ipad's and did not buy galaxy tabs or any other galaxy series device. Most of my coworkers have the S4 or N3 and also use their iPhones..I see Apple doing rather well in the enterprise market at least in my industry..Most of us use the phone for a certain requirement and would be very happy if apple made those tasks even better every year..I am sure they will keep on introducing newer capability..but i see no pressure from within my industry to "desire" the sort of capability you seem to want..

Last edited:

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
not fond of that...

The no bezel look is a bit pathetic.

A mere 2mm vertical bezel on either side of the screen would look so much better. It'd also make the case manufacturers happy.

But that would be applying common sense and practicality, a practice contrary to Apples style obsession.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.