Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi folks.

I have an iPhone 6 here that is on AT&T that is about one and a half years old. I have never had any damage to my phone...no drops,cracked screens, bends, or dings.

Today the cellular connection just stopped working.

I have done a hard reset, reset cellular data, and swapped out the SIM card for a new one from AT&T.

Cellular is not working. All I get is Searching... in the top bar across the iPhone.

Wifi and Bluetooth both work.

Apple Store just wanted me to buy a new one.

I genuinely thought they would just swap it out free of charge like they did in the old days. There was obviously something wrong with the hardware that was not user damage.

My point of contention was that even though I am 6 months out of warranty, the primary function of a device should not cease. (I.e. The iPhone stopped being a phone in 1.5 years). I was unhappy but polite, but the Apple Store would not budge.

No repair, just trade in and pay $299 or to start a new payment plan on the 6s.

I guess I am asking for help in any ideas how to proceed from here. Should I contact Apple directly? Is there a fix that I'm not aware of?

I really do not want to pay money for a phone when in 2-3 months there will be a new model that I plan to purchase.

Thanks,

JSENNY25

Reactions: Southern Dad

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I can certainly sympathize with you. Why not just get a temporary pay as you go phone for the next couple of months or whenever the iPhone 7 is available and then either sell or trade in your defective 6. And start a new payment plan on the 7. Maybe this time buy Apple Care + so you're covered for two years.

MiniGeek

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
I edited this to remove a long rant about my experience with my iPhone 6. It probably wasn't too helpful to the OP.

Last edited:

MiniGeek

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
JSENNY25, I would be interested to know how this situation is resolved for you. I have had issues with iPhone 6's myself (on my third one now, Apple has replaced 2 in less than a year), and in my online searches I am seeing a lot of people having connection problems with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus products.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
JSENNY25, I would be interested to know how this situation is resolved for you. I have had issues with iPhone 6's myself (on my third one now, Apple has replaced 2 in less than a year), and in my online searches I am seeing a lot of people having connection problems with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus products.

Hi there. So I had an interesting few days. On the first trip to the Apple Store the genius mentioned there was a slight bend in the phone. When I say slight, I mean I could not see it and laying it on the glass side produced absolutely no wobble when applying pressure to any one of the 4 edges. There was no bending of puckering of the aluminum. He also did not think that this would have caused the cell connection to drop. The genius wanted me to buy a out of warranty replacement. I was unhappy with that result because the genius kept saying there is a hardware problem without an explanation. I asked him to show me the bend and he could not give me an explanation other than we have tools in the back to measure them and we see hundreds of iPhones a day.

I left the store with by iPhone that was not able to connect to cellular and called Appel Care. Spoke with a senior advisor after the first apple care rep took me though all the trouble shooting steps to check for cellular connection to no avail. The senior adviser offered to swap the phone free of charge because even in the Apple Store genius notes there was nothing about the bend in the phone.

The senior advisor said just to take it back to the Apple Store and they will do a swap no questions asked.

Drove back to the same Apple Store they next day and they said they would not honor the senior advisor's notes because the phone was bent. Again I asked how they can show the phone was bent if it was undetectable and it was not in the notes from yesterday's appointment. To top it off, the senior advisor from apple care said it was a no questions asked swap.

Anyway, they called apple care and spoke with the senior advisor and checked my case ID and bothe sets of notes. The senior advisor at apple care stepped up and fixed everything. The notes on the first day at the Apple Store said nothing about a bend. Just that there was a hardware issue and the phone was out of warranty.

He forced the issue because what he said supersedes the Apple Store notes (he called the store and was fired up.... Spoke to the manager and the genius...he really went to bat for me)

So the Apple Store gave me the out of warranty replacement for 0. Thanks to apple care.

The store just wanted to make another sale.

Reactions: MiniGeek

MiniGeek

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
Good for you! I'm glad you got a replacement.

I myself have spoken to a couple of excellent senior advisors. I was surprised and impressed by the support, especially considering that I had not even purchased Apple Care.

I initially went to Apple products because we received a couple of iPads as bonus gifts from companies we dealt with. I was so impressed by the quality of the iPads that when the time came to upgrade the cell phones, I was eager to go with iPhones. I loved my iPhone 5, and I still think it's a terrific product. [And good grief, no one is bending that thing, it's 7mm thick!] My only issue with it is the size of the storage--16 Gb just isn't enough. And I was a bit clumsy with the texting. When the time came again to upgrade, I was really looking forward to going to an iPhone 6, both for the larger screen size and I wanted 64 Gb of storage. Unfortunately, my beautiful gold iPhone 6 just hasn't been reliable and I simply don't trust it anymore. While I got things sorted out with my 2nd iPhone 6 (which replaced one whose wifi and bluetooth quit--hardware issue), I put my SIM card into my iPhone 5 and carried on. I am so glad I kept the 5 rather than trading it in.

My experience with my iPhone 6 has me researching other brands, to be honest. Apple support is great, but let's face it, we pay a premium for these products as well. It doesn't come free, Apple products are more expensive. And unless you live in a large urban center, it is a real hassle getting your iPhone repaired or replaced. So I am weighing out different factors, as well as taking a look at the structure of smart phones on the market. Thin and pretty may look nice, but it's more important to me that they work and don't take days out of my life troubleshooting and dealing with tech support.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.