Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Hi guys,
I got my 6s a couple of months ago, and only after I updated to iOS 9.3.2 i started noticing small but annoying lag (or stutter) especially when opening apps. The phone is still wicked fast (tried some benchmark as well), its just that irritating stutter.

It only happens occasionally, but its really annoying for a flagship phone and especially considering that iOS 9 should be pretty much bug free at this point. I even restored as a new iPhone and updated to iOS 9.3.3 beta but its still there.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is experiencing that, or any suggestions how to resolve that?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Running iOS 9.3.3 Beta 3 here and it is pretty much flawless, both on my 6s and Air 2. I haven't really had much stutter or lag at all on my 6s. The only time I had nasty lag was iOS 9.3.2 Beta 2. That build was absolutely horrendous. Beta 3 was better and the final ultimately solved the lag I was experiencing.

Its always possible that its a hardware problem or you have a lot of apps open in memory and its taking a second to close out old ones to open RAM for the new one you are opening. If you remove all apps out of multitasking and only open up 2 and go between the 2 only, does it still lag? If not, its possible its just RAM moving around and its taking a second.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
There is no problem if I go between apps - it's just if I press an app icon from the home screen the animation stutters slightly.
I am wondering - I have the habit of turning of bacground app refresh, maybe that's making think a second?

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
Yes I have experienced lag on my iPhone 6s, I've seen my wife's iPhone lag, and my moms iPhone 6s Plus lag.

They all lag, not horribly but there honestly isn't a phone out there that doesn't lag ever. No piece of technology runs flawlessly.

But in all seriousness mine will stutter maybe once a week. Nothing too serious.

Reactions: determined09

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
I'm very sensitive to lag and 6S does lag. It's nothing significant - but there are frame drops when quickly scrolling through many apps in app switcher.

Reactions: Vanilla35

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
The app launching stutter (it's not lag but just dropping few frames of animation) you talking about is real.

This annoying stutter has become trademark of iOS since iOS 8 (The most horrid unoptimized crap churned out by their software team.) Apple are specifically trying to fix it in iOS 10.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
The app launching stutter (it's not lag but just dropping few frames of animation) you talking about is real.

This annoying stutter has become trademark of iOS since iOS 8 (The most horrid unoptimized crap churned out by their software team.) Apple are specifically trying to fix it in iOS 10.
Yes that is exactly what I mean.
It reminds me a bit of Yosemite when frames were dropping when switching between desktops.

Hopefully they will fix it in iOS 10.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Try turning off transparency and motion. That's a couple things less the graphics chip needs to do as it converts the screen size. I'd be curious as to if that helps any of those noticing this form of stutter. Give it a try and report back please.

Reactions: ABC5S

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

This.

I've "resolved" this for my own personal taste by speeding up animations through a jailbreak tweak. Obviously the better resolution would be for Apple to get rid of the jank though.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Try turning off transparency and motion. That's a couple things less the graphics chip needs to do as it converts the screen size. I'd be curious as to if that helps any of those noticing this form of stutter. Give it a try and report back please.
Well since we are talking about animation framerate drop, obviously turning animations off removes the problem but doesn't really solve it.

@d5aqoëp What makes you think Apple are specifically trying to address that, is it gone in the iOS 10 dev preview?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
There is a difference between "lag" and "stutter". I have had the iPhone 6S since it launched. I can tell you that the device really never "lagged". I have noticed animation stutters periodically since iOS 8.0. They're still there and I'm running the beta, iOS 9.3.3. I don't think these will ever go away. I just live with them. The phone seems to drop frame rates when something is recently refreshed in the system memory. Just my intake on it.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
There is a difference between "lag" and "stutter". I have had the iPhone 6S since it launched. I can tell you that the device really never "lagged". I have noticed animation stutters periodically since iOS 8.0. They're still there and I'm running the beta, iOS 9.3.3. I don't think these will ever go away. I just live with them. The phone seems to drop frame rates when something is recently refreshed in the system memory. Just my intake on it.

It's worth noting that the software used to have less stuttering than it does now, with new hardware.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I've noticed some stutters and lags since upgrading to iOS 9.3.2 on my iPad mini 4. I could not see those "new" stutters on 9.3.1, it's nothing crazy but it did not happen before the update.

Though I don't have any more stutters on my iPhone SE since I upgraded to 9.3.2, it's just like it was on 9.3.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The terminology from Apple seems to be "frame drops" and "hangs" rather than "stutter" and "lag" respectively, which is less ambiguous if you want to be clear.

Last edited:

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Well since we are talking about animation framerate drop, obviously turning animations off removes the problem but doesn't really solve it.

@d5aqoëp What makes you think Apple are specifically trying to address that, is it gone in the iOS 10 dev preview?

Did you see the WWDC the new watch os demo? They have changed the code which instantly launches apps. They will definitely benefit iOS 10 because of code sharing.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

Given the choice between a parallax effect to the background screen saver and blurred see through transparency or no frame rate drop, I have chosen turning those two items off. I was making an attempt at providing a solution that has worked for me. Especially since I see no practical use for either graphics feature.

If you enjoy finding fault with Apple, technically you can complain that the present graphics chip speed occasionally falls short when processing the image with all the animations turned on. And turning some fluff features off is not a solution.

I tend to look at it this way, that depending how important these features are to each person, the user has been given a choice since the on off switches are incorporated. Any chip on any device can be overtaxed, either today or tomorrow as it is asked to perform more and more. For me, removing the problem is a solution until the next cycle of faster more capable chips in introduced.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Given the choice between a parallax effect to the background screen saver and blurred see through transparency or no frame rate drop, I have chosen turning those two items off. I was making an attempt at providing a solution that has worked for me. Especially since I see no practical use for either graphics feature.

If you enjoy finding fault with Apple, technically you can complain that the present graphics chip speed occasionally falls short when processing the image with all the animations turned on. And turning some fluff features off is not a solution.

I tend to look at it this way, that depending how important these features are to each person, the user has been given a choice since the on off switches are incorporated. Any chip on any device can be overtaxed, either today or tomorrow as it is asked to perform more and more. For me, removing the problem is a solution until the next cycle of faster more capable chips in introduced.

I think the initial point was that basically the same software version went from not stuttering, to stuttering. Not comparing iOS 7 to iOS 9. This isn't the GPU being taxed.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I think the initial point was that basically the same software version went from not stuttering, to stuttering. Not comparing iOS 7 to iOS 9. This isn't the GPU being taxed.
Well I have not noticed any lag, frame drop or whatever nomenclature you want to use. iOS 7, 8 and now 9 have been and is running fine for me in all their versions If the thing works for me, I'm not going to hunt for a problem I don't notice and has no effect on my usage.

I don't doubt you or that you may see this as an issue. It's just my magnifying glass isn't large enough to make this mole hill appear like the Sierra mountains.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Well I have not noticed any lag, frame drop or whatever nomenclature you want to use. iOS 7, 8 and now 9 have been and is running fine for me in all their versions If the thing works for me, I'm not going to hunt for a problem I don't notice and has no effect on my usage.

I don't doubt you or that you may see this as an issue. It's just my magnifying glass isn't large enough to make this mole hill appear like the Sierra mountains.

Yeah I mean, no harm there. I'm not trying to turn it into an avalanche either - but when someone has brought up an issue because they are able to notice those types of things, then it is worth validating their opinion when others have tried to shun them for being sensitive enough to notice said things. No right or wrong about it.

Reactions: HEK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.