Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
More mega pixels just means i need more storage and my NAS is almost full and I don't want to buy more iCloud storage either. And my photos wouldn't look much better either.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Apple has sold it's boat load of phones so why should they care what any of us say or do. The 6S models will not outsell the current ones anyway. Their putting all the eggs into the iPhone 7. The S models will receive triple core cpu and 2 gigs of ram. That's enough for Apple.

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles
The IPhone 6 Camera is such a disappointment and this news (if they are true) are even a bigger step back.
The 16MP Camera of the Galaxy Note 4 is so much better.
My Friend got it and he takes crystal clear and super sharp pictures.

Apple, Your Move!

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Since storage is fixed, I don't think people would be to happy about running out of storage twice as fast just so their lowrez socialmedia sharings can have a larger original they will never use..

The amount of people who print larger than A3 (11.69 x 16.53 inches) from a phone are still quite few. :)

Give me the things the others don't: Dynamic range, correct colors, good lowlight performance and good IS.

Exactly :apple:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
We can all save us the effort in discussing this here. It contains exactly the same negative line of argumentation as every year.

Still Apple will release an iPhone this year with according to many here "mediocre" specs, but that will impress all the established reviewers and users wih its performance in all departments.

As long as my iPhone with 8MP makes better pictures than a Samsung with 16MP, I don't see a reason for all this fuss.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Guys remember 2015 is a Software year!

The camera is already GOOD. We need to be happy we are possibly getting 2GB of ram in the 6S! I'd take that over a better camera. The whole flush camera thing probably won't come until the iPhone 7 in 2016.

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
I think we all know the megapixel count isn't what's the most important thing

BUT an 8MP sensor is probably the minimum acceptable pixel resolution. If you ever need to crop/zoom a photo - a few more MP would be really useful!

So lets stop this '8MP is fine' yes it's 'fine' but I would like better!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Why oh why do they keep spouting on about 'DSLR quality', the lens may be the same quality glass, but thats it, a tiny few dollar pin hole size camera is never going to match a DSLR with big expensive sensors and interchangable lens.

Its just marketing spin to try and excite people. As for the MPX, I think 8 is alright, they could maybe bump to 12 but I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

Last edited:

JozefC

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
I hope so. Less upgrades on the newer iPhone, better for me as long as it would make me to buy the upcoming one.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
I think we all know the megapixel count isn't what's the most important thing

BUT an 8MP sensor is probably the minimum acceptable pixel resolution. If you ever need to crop/zoom a photo - a few more MP would be really useful!

So lets stop this '8MP is fine' yes it's 'fine' but I would like better!

Would you like a better picture or more mpx picture?

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I don't mind if the camera stays the same on the iPhone 6S as long as it's flushed & gets 2 GB of RAM please.

Oh, and those antenna bands. Apple has to figure out something & redesign those lines somehow. Seriously, the back looks like crap. So not Apple.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
As evidenced by numerous camera improvements in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, a higher-megapixel sensor does not always matter. Apple could still implement this rumored dual-lens, DSLR-quality system with 8-megapixel sensors on its next-generation smartphones.

Actually, the camera is the only disappointing thing about my iPhone 6. The focus and light capture is much better than my 4S, but all the images have excessive noise compression that "blurrs" fine detail.

If I look at a picture of my pet from both my 4S and 6, the 4S is definitely noisier, but you can see detail like the fine like individual hairs. With the 6, once you view it on a large monitor or zoom in you notice all these smears that obscure fine detail.

This issue is discussed in this thread.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Why oh why do they keep spouting on about 'DSLR quality', the lens may be the same quality glass, but thats it, a tiny few dollar pin hole size camera is never going to match a DSLR with big expensife sensors and interchangable lens.

Its just marketing spin to try and excite people. As for the MPX, I think 8 is alright, they could maybe bump to 12 but I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

Fully agree and I don't know why Gruber would make such an outrageous claim. Separately... before we declare 8 MP is not enough, we should all be reminded that a 1080P monitor can only display about 1.75 MP in a 3:2 aspect ratio. How many people are going to zoom beyond 4.5X magnification or do high resolution printing of an image taken on an iPhone?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
That would be a huge disappointment and break away from S tradition.
Maybe they will shrink the camera hump back into the frame.

Apple should keep the specs same too while they are at it.

They can't remove the camera hump unless they make the phone thicker, or change the laws of physics.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Ya actually. I myself don't care for phone camera.

Give me 2GB RAM 2X faster CPU and 4X faster GPU compared to iPhone 6 so that we can leave behind stuttering and safari tab refresh problem behind us at least for a year.

Expect a badly coded OS could make entire server halls crumble if there's appalling code. The iPhone 6 and 5S are more than powerful enough to handle iOS 8. Apple have simply been incredibly sloppy and decided to release an iOS that was far from finished.

Point being, it doesn't matter how impressive or advanced the hardware is if you have software that will cripple it.

----------

Apple has sold it's boat load of phones so why should they care what any of us say or do. The 6S models will not outsell the current ones anyway. Their putting all the eggs into the iPhone 7. The S models will receive triple core cpu and 2 gigs of ram. That's enough for Apple.

Except reports point to that every new model has always outsold the previous one.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
"I'm only upgrading from the X to the Xs for the better camera" - said nobody
The iPhone "S" updates revolve primarily around internal hardware upgrades. The camera being a very important part of it. So if that stays the same the iPhone 6S could very well be a bit of a dud. Of course the amount of megapixels is only a part of the story, so if there are still other camera improvements it's fine.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

There's no such thing as triple core CPU, unless the manufacturers made quad cores and disable a core intentionally (like AMD does, so it's technically not a triple core). Cores go in 2^x numbers.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
While I don't want Apple to enter the megapixel race and concentrate on picture quality and low light performance, but it has to be said that 8mp is the absolute minimum and is even offered on the cheapest smartphones ($100-200 range) these days with quite decent picture quality...

I would like to see Apple go up to 12mp with the 6s and introduce 4k video recording.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Congrats Apple! If true then you have become the biggest cheapskate w your keeping of ram, memory, big bezels and now camera sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.