Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iYak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2014
I'm having a problem where my iPhone 6s resets randomly about 1-2 times a day. Apple Care has provided horrible customer service, asking me to be their tester instead of providing customer service. To deflect silly comments from apple fans out there, I restored the phone to iOS 9.1 from a Mac using a new user account using the latest version of OSX. Since then, I have installed no apps at all and I haven't logged into any accounts (ex. facebook, google). The problem still happens at least daily.

Has anyone successfully received a replacement device from Apple for this problem, or are others stuck in the same customer service black hole that I'm in?

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
What do you mean by "customer service"? AppleCare people are trained to isolate to hardware before doing a repair, hence why you have to test the device. If you wanted to skip all that, go to an Apple Store.

DreiD

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Where have you bought the phone by the way? You can bring it there and see if they can replace it.

iYak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2014
I preordered it from AT&T. AT&T refuses to replace anything that they didn't already replace for insurance purposes. They forward on to Apple. I called within 30 days, but they don't accept returns after 15 days.

I have an appointment at the apple store today. Last time I was there, the customer service was even worse than AppleCare...

iYak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Yes, that's one of the symptoms. I've seen that several times. It usually happens while I'm using the phone though. The screen goes grey with vertical lines on the screen and what looks like a coffee-cup mark on a piece of paper. About 1 second later, I see the black screen with the white apple (device reboot)

iYak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2014
The apple store replaced the phone quickly and painlessly. Moral of the story, don't call AppleCare.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
The apple store replaced the phone quickly and painlessly. Moral of the story, don't call AppleCare.
You say don't call AppleCare, but you're not specific on what they did wrong. Again they have to confirm it's hardware before they can replace it, or they will just send it back/charge you if it's not hardware (i.e. a restore fixes the problem).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.