Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your new iPhone 6s screen have an uneven display?

• Yes, mine is darker across the top

Votes: 77 32.8%
  • Yes, mine is darker on some other area of the screen

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • No, my screen is fine

Votes: 124 52.8%

• Total voters

Black Diesel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I have a feeling they screwed up the iPhone 6s display, similar to the 27" iMac screens a few years ago when there were dark shadow bands across the display.

My new 6s display is darker across the top section of the screen and I've already seen someone else make the same comment....could this be a huge deal or is mine just a isolated defect? I know people are saying the screen is not as bright as the 6, but that's probably due to the 3D touch technology. Regardless, the brightness should be uniform across the screen.

Mine is not bad enough to get a replacement but my 6s display is definitely not up to iPhone standards. Mine is a silver 128gb version.

PepsiCola

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
I have the same problem, it was one of the first things I noticed (the other thing was how heavy the 6S is compared to the 6). The top left 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen is quite a bit less bright than the rest, maybe 30% or so. I'm going to wait about 10 days to see if it improves, and if it doesn't, return the phone. It's sufficiently annoying that I notice it pretty much all the time.

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Mine is darker across the top and I notice it more when surfing the web and doing other full screen things.

Not sure if it's worth a replacement though.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I have a feeling they screwed up the iPhone 6s display, similar to the 27" iMac screens a few years ago when there were dark shadow bands across the display.

My new 6s display is darker across the top section of the screen and I've already seen someone else make the same comment....could this be a huge deal or is mine just a isolated defect? I know people are saying the screen is not as bright as the 6, but that's probably due to the 3D touch technology. Regardless, the brightness should be uniform across the screen.

Mine is not bad enough to get a replacement but my 6s display is definitely not up to iPhone standards. Mine is a silver 128gb version.

I just checked on my phone and negative, no dark shadow band at the top.

unintelligible

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
I have the same issue. Noticed it right out of the box. Going to keep it for a few days and if it doesn't improve I'll have to call Apple.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Bought two iPhone 6s models. My wife's is great, a little on the warm side, but evenly lit and colored. Mine is about 20% dimmer than hers and darker toward the top and left. Fun. :rolleyes:

unintelligible

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Here is a pic of mine taken with the potato on my iPad Air.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 3,965

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Genius might have difficulty acknowledging the issue. It is too bright in Apple Stores, and these people stare at screens for several hours.

If anyone's interested in bringing the phone in for repair/replacement, bring a business card. Cover the phone perpendicular to the display so that only top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 are revealed. This will help Geniuses to notice the "discoloration" issue.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Mine is definitely darker towards the top, but it's really only noticeable when using Messages, Mail, or Safari in landscape mode. I'll give it a few days.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I bought a white one and a black one as I couldn't decide which one to get. Opened the white one and the screen quality is awful, same issue reported here. The top has dark areas and is considerably darker than the rest of the screen.
I figured it was defective so I decided to open the black one. SAME PROBLEM!

I've compared both 6S models to mine and my wife's old iPhone 6 phones and both 6 phones have far better quality screens.
Apple has a definite screen quality problem with the 6S.

Sarah Jones 799

Suspended
Sep 11, 2015
I bought a white one and a black one as I couldn't decide which one to get. Opened the white one and the screen quality is awful, same issue reported here. The top has dark areas and is considerably darker than the rest of the screen.

I've compared both 6S models to mine and my wife's old iPhone 6 phones and both 6 phones have far better quality screens.
It's a like a lottery last year I had to go through six iPhone 6 two came from Apple online with dead/stuck pixels next two from my local Apple Store had light bleed and yellow screens.
So I decided to wait a month and reordering online again next two came with dust under screen. (So the third replacement was perfect)

But this year my iPhone 6s 128gb space grey came without any defect at all bright screen, no dead/stuck pixels they must had enough of me swapping all these units and decided to pick me a perfect unit. Lol

Reactions: Slammers08

onethinline

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
San Francisco
My new iPhone 6s has screen uniformity problems, too. The top left corner is noticeably darker, especially looking at a white screen. It's subtle, but once you see it you can't un-see it. I've made a Genius appointment for later this week, but might walk in this morning to try to get a replacement.

Anyone think this might be an issue of adhesive still needing to dry, as was the case with those yellow blotches the past few years?

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
My new iPhone 6s has screen uniformity problems, too. The top left corner is noticeably darker, especially looking at a white screen. It's subtle, but once you see it you can't un-see it. I've made a Genius appointment for later this week, but might walk in this morning to try to get a replacement.

Anyone think this might be an issue of adhesive still needing to dry, as was the case with those yellow blotches the past few years?

There is no adhesive on iPhone screens anymore. Hasn't been for years.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006

OK, the third one I had waiting for me at work also has a dark area in the top left corner. This is a sick joke. I've had every iPhone since the first one in 2007 and I've never had a single issue with any of them.

I'm going to return all 3 and wait a few weeks before buying another one.
3x iPhone 6S units which all exhibit poor screen quality seem to point to a bigger problem here.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Went to the Apple store and bought another one, Silver, same thing. Dark top left corner. Unbelievable.

steve96815

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Have the same issue. Measured the brightness with a colorimeter. Mine has about 480 candela in the lower right corner and about 430 in the upper left. That's a big difference on such a small screen and imo unacceptable.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
My 5S has darker shade at the top where status bar is. On top of that, it has interlacing issue (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-5-5s-display-interlacing-new-image.1668140/)

Genius wouldn't do anything about it since they claim screen "looks fine," and everything is within spec.

It's not like I am going to keep this phone for several years... I will probably get a new iPhone when contract is up in 2 years. So I learned to accept it. This is my fifth 5S (yes, exchanged 4 times due to different issues each time), and I eventually decided having the perfect phone as advertised is not worth my time and gas wasted on traveling to Apple Store. In the end, it is still a good phone that functions properly

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I got a replacement for my first phone which had the darker upper left corner. I'm sad to say that the second one is the same - if not worse. My wife's 6s looks great and uniform. I have the worst luck with Apple stuff.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Just noticed the dark areas near the top of my screen. I've had my phone since Friday and only just now noticed so I guess that's good. But now I know it's there :( Doubt it's worth playing the exchange lottery with my nearest Apple Store an hour away.

854abcd3b75f08de4774009299b2a5be.jpg

6c04ada81f0cb0b4ce10409b2d2a0a5a.jpg

Last edited:

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I'm on my 7th version of the iPhone have had all but the very first gen and the good news is as I have gotten older I care less and my eye site has gone down.

It's all good!

Reactions: techspin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.