Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I managed to pick my iPhone 7 up yesterday after a 400 mile round trip train journey and a week of 6am bum fights on the internet to order one.

I've upgraded from a 6S+ to 7+ and I have to say apart from the home button I have noticed practically no difference whatsoever between the 2 phones. So little is the difference in fact, if somebody swapped my phone during the night (it's cased) I probably wouldn't notice it's been swapped (apart from the home button).

Is it a complaint? No, just an observation. I did my research prior to purchasing.

I'm in the lucky position of being able to upgrade every year. If however your finances are tight and you are in a dilemma about upgrading from a 6+ to 7+ I'd be thinking long and hard whether it's really worth it.

Good old Apple marketing team hey!

Happy phone hunting.

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
I managed to pick my iPhone 7 up yesterday after a 400 mile round trip train journey and a week of 6am bum fights on the internet to order one.

I've upgraded from a 6S+ to 7+ and I have to say apart from the home button I have noticed practically no difference whatsoever between the 2 phones. So little is the difference in fact, if somebody swapped my phone during the night (it's cased) I probably wouldn't notice it's been swapped (apart from the home button).

Is it a complaint? No, just an observation. I did my research prior to purchasing.

I'm in the lucky position of being able to upgrade every year. If however your finances are tight and you are in a dilemma about upgrading from a 6+ to 7+ I'd be thinking long and hard whether it's really worth it.

Good old Apple marketing team hey!

Happy phone hunting.

Agree with your analysis. No major difference from 6s Plus to 7 Plus
-Home button still feels odd on 7 Plus
-miss 3.5mm jack
-feels little faster compared to Iphone 6s plus ( not much or worth spending 1k more )

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Same experience between the 6S and 7. I played with the 7 in the store, and couldn't feel any performance improvements-- the 6S is a beast of it's own, and I have no doubts the processor in the iPhone 7 is better, but the difference is so negligible in real world usage that I decided not to buy the iPhone 7 outright.

Since AT&T is offering the free iPhone 7 with trade-in, I think I might still opt for that just so I can get a fresh new phone, but there's certainly nothing that I MUST have.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I've had an SE, 6s and 6s Plus ... all in the last year ... also an iPhone 7 for a day... out of all 4 of then the differences are mainly a little but minut but of speed and the camera.

The iPhone 6s Plus and I'm sure the 7 Plus are probably the two best if you want a bigger screen and a bit better camera.

I DO NOT believe the iPhone 7 is worth the upgrade. I'm sticking with my 6s Plus until next year.

I may go back and forth with the se maybe

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Went from my 6+ to a 7+. Firstly the design looks better. It feels better too for some reason. The black is awesome. I wouldn't have upgraded just for that.

It's noticeably faster for me. Although the better screen is noticeable, it's not that much. Again, I wouldn't have upgraded just for that.

I upgraded for the same reason I do every single year. The camera is much better. Portrait mode is amazing, videos seem more stable and the low light pictures are much better. Finally an actual optical zoom, (pretty much) on my iPhone and having the two lenses work together is most reason to upgrade since the iPhone 5S.

Add in water resistance, stereo speakers and the new haptic feedback features when hitting home/scrolling and I would say this is a fairly big upgrade.

I'm much more satisfied this year than last year going from the 6 Plus to the 6S Plus.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I totally agree with the op, i have the 6+ 6s+ and the 7+ , and between the 6s+ and 7+ there's no big difference in terms of speed even between the cameras i don't really see a big difference sure 2x helps with zooming but other than that there's no much difference. If you have a 6s+ i would suggest to wait for the next iPhone, if your coming from the 6+ or under the 7 is a great upgrade. Im still happy with the 7 but for the first time i can say i could easily pass on this upgrade.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I returned the 7+ and keeping 6s+.
Only thing I really like from 7+ was the home button and stereo speaker.
Stereo speaker could have been better but still better than 1 speaker.
That's about it. Not worth it for me. so returned it.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
It's interesting to read this balanced perspective, then go back and read all the other posts from people endlessly fretting over a cargo plane delayed a few days in getting their new phones to them. Now, I'm not sure how many of those people are upgrading from a one year old phone vs. those upgrading from a much older phone (where the improvements will be a much bigger deal), but the energy and emotion people are putting into tracking every single cargo plane from Asia seems a bit nuts. I see this every year. I always wonder how they'll feel after the first few hours of trying out their new phone. Will they walk around with a smile for days, or will it feel a bit anti-climactic?

I'm upgrading from a 6S+ to a 7+ as well (I upgrade every year), and I'm excited too. The 7 is a very nice upgrade. I will greatly appreciate the better display and camera, and all the other improvements. But in the end it's the same basic device, with roughly speaking 25% better internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.