Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
The cases manages the battery state to be optimal for longevity.

In my few days of using it, I saw no such thing. Instead, my phone's battery stayed at 100% all the time, and had that lightning bolt symbol next to it the entire time indicating it was charging the entire time 24/7.

I realize it sounds great to believe that Apple devices somehow manage battery state in the long term. But I learned my lesson with my last MacBook Pro. I used it at my desk 99% of the time, and so I kept it plugged in almost always, and after 1 year and barely any use of the battery, the battery could no longer even hold half of the charge that it did when new. And yes, I did use the Apple charger that was included in the box.

You must use a battery for it to stay healthy. If you don't believe me, try plugging in an Apple device, and leave it plugged in for 6 months or a year, then go back and see how well the battery works. It will have been mostly ruined. Same will happen if you take a device and pack it away for a year. When you to retrieve it, the battery will have lost considerable capacity.

If you use this battery case, and you rarely get past the case's battery and into the phone's battery, it is not going to be good for the phone's battery. It will be the same effect as if you left your phone plugged in 24/7 and never used it.

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
In my few days of using it, I saw no such thing. Instead, my phone's battery stayed at 100% all the time, and had that lightning bolt symbol next to it the entire time indicating it was charging.

I realize it sounds great to believe that Apple devices somehow manage battery state in the long term. But I learned my lesson with my last MacBook Pro. I used it at my desk 99% of the time, and so I kept it plugged in almost always, and after 1 year and barely any use of the battery, the battery could no longer even hold half of the charge that it did when new. And yes, I did use the Apple charger that was included in the box.

You must use a battery for it to stay healthy. If you don't believe me, try plugging in an Apple device, and leave it plugged in for 6 months or a year, then go back and see how well the battery works. It will have been mostly ruined. Same will happen if you take a device and pack it away for a year. When you to retrieve it, the battery will have lost considerable capacity.

If you use this battery case, and you rarely get past the case's battery and into the phone's battery, it is not going to be good for the battery.

The case will allow the battery to drain a bit and recharge. I've seen this occur.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
It appears that the case does manage the batteries for optimal longevity. I noticed that once the case got down below 45%, power would basically draw equally between the case and the phone (i.e. They would discharge at roughly the same rate). I wouldn't sweat it.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
It appears that the case does manage the batteries for optimal longevity. I noticed that once the case got down below 45%, power would basically draw equally between the case and the phone (i.e. They would discharge at roughly the same rate). I wouldn't sweat it.
I'm curious how did you figure that out around 45%?

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I just noticed that the phone was fully charged until the case hit around 45%. Then my phone would drop by 1-2% followed by a similar drop in the case battery. This is just one instance though. I'll monitor it over the next few days and see if I can find a consistent pattern.

Reactions: dominiongamma

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Oh yeah I also have to say that I love the way that this case fits the contours of my hand. That might be what I love most about it.

cleebrown93

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2015
1406295e83942ee5dac50174458df8ea.jpg
90d5baf27072bba648c15844c366a0e4.jpg

I am very impressed so far.

CashmereEsquire

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
I wonder why Apple isn't making one of these for the Plus. These cheapo ones that will flood Amazon, I`m sure will have issues with Audio through lightning.

Reactions: eclipxe

CashmereEsquire

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Apple sadly does not, wish they would stop making iPhones thinner and add more battery to them

honestly no company wants to improve battery tech. Battery tech is probably still stuck in 1998 or something. In this day and age there should be some new tech that cant fit more mAh in a smaller footprint. We will see if the rumors of apple creating a wireless charging solution that doesnt require the device to be docked comes true.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
honestly no company wants to improve battery tech. Battery tech is probably still stuck in 1998 or something. In this day and age there should be some new tech that cant fit more mAh in a smaller footprint. We will see if the rumors of apple creating a wireless charging solution that doesnt require the device to be docked comes true.
If Apple could pull it off it can change the industry for the better but if not then we will not be moving forward with battery tech we will see.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Battery tech is probably still stuck in 1998 or something.

Really?? I think we forget how awful battery life was on those early cell phones. I can remember carrying a cell phone that had 8-10 hours of STANDBY time and about 45 minutes of talk time. And that was a cell phone without a color screen.

My observation has been that every iPhone seems to have slightly better battery life than the model from the year before. I just upgraded from the 4S, and I looked back at the specs from my 5 year old 4S. Talk time was rated at 8 hours. My new iPhone 7 has 14 hours of talk time.

Laptops from the late 1990s had about 2 hours of battery life when fully charged. My 2010 MacBook Pro, which I recently sold, still gets around 5-6 hours of battery life even though it was 6 years old. I think when new it was rated for 10 hours. And this MacBook was about half the thickness of the laptops from the late 1990s. If they kept it the same size and used the extra space for a larger battery, it would last 30 hours probably.

Reactions: eclipxe

bluermlou

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
i use mine mostly on weekends. thankfully this one is less of a dust magnet in your pocket as opposed to the iphone 6 battery case, feels like a different type of silicone they used this time around.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Interesting that my battery case just died before my iPhone battery started to discharge (which is what I originally assumed would happen). A contrast to a couple days ago when my iPhone started to uniformly discharge at roughly the same rate as the case, once the case was at 40-45%. So far I can't find any patterns in power consumption.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.