Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balders

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Just received my brand new 7+ Jet black 256GB. Looks immaculate, screen is perfect, machining all fine...

Only problem is, it appears someone has already used it as the phone is asking for the account used to activate it - o.....@icloud.com

Apple say it needs replacing... Frustrated is not the word after wait since pre-order day... Now got to wait for an expedited replacement phone once I've returned this one.

Argh!!!! Apple - wtf are you playing at?!?!

kenhagemann

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
Just received my brand new 7+ Jet black 256GB. Looks immaculate, screen is perfect, machining all fine...

Only problem is, it appears someone has already used it as the phone is asking for the account used to activate it - o.....@icloud.com

Apple say it needs replacing... Frustrated is not the word after wait since pre-order day... Now got to wait for an expedited replacement phone once I've returned this one.

Had the same issue and they fixed it in their end as it had something to do with the registration. Do a dfu restore and if it asks for the carrier or user I would give them a call back and mention this.

Reactions: Balders

Balders

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Too late now :( It's on a slow boat back to China now, lol

What's odd is I never actually got to do anything with it. As soon as it powered up, I picked English, put it on wifi and then immediately got prompted to enter someone else's iCloud details...

Last edited:

Plilbeye

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Too late now :( It's on a slow boat back to China now, lol

What's odd is I never actually got to do anything with it. As soon as it powered up, I picked English, put it on wifi and then immediately got prompted to enter someone else's iCloud details...

Sorry to hear you couldn't enjoy your phone. I'm in the same boat, though mine was received with obvious manufacturing errors. Did they tell you how long it would be for you to get a replacement? They didn't give me a time frame I'm curious if you got one?

Balders

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Sorry to hear you couldn't enjoy your phone. I'm in the same boat, though mine was received with obvious manufacturing errors. Did they tell you how long it would be for you to get a replacement? They didn't give me a time frame I'm curious if you got one?

The support guy reckoned 4 to 5 days from confirmation of the returned phone. I asked him numerous times and he was sure that was the case. The replacement order is currently processing but that doesn't mean much. He claimed I'd have it next week and to ignore the November date that was showing.

Mr G Moona

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010

Hi Balders
I have exactly the same issue. Apple have referred me to their Find my iPhone activation lock team and Ill update after that to see if this helps others

Amazing that they would send phones out like this. I suspect ours were in the same batch. Another poster suggested finding the manufacture date and mine was made between 19 and 23 september. It really is weird.

Mr G Moona

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
So, all it needed was a full restore. I called again tonight and they talked me through. Press the vol decrease button then the power button until the iTunes logo appears and plug into a computer with iTunes

Or hold the decrease vol button down whilst you plug into a computer with iTunes on it.

Then do a full restore.

Why on earth they didn't tell me this first is beyond me.

lpuniverse

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2014
What was your manufacturing error then?

Balders

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Hi Balders
I have exactly the same issue. Apple have referred me to their Find my iPhone activation lock team and Ill update after that to see if this helps others

Amazing that they would send phones out like this. I suspect ours were in the same batch. Another poster suggested finding the manufacture date and mine was made between 19 and 23 september. It really is weird.

It's incredibly incompetent of them - I wonder if they are testing them and forgetting to wipe properly or something...

Mine was made:
  • Week: 38 (19.09 - 25.09)
[doublepost=1475442324][/doublepost]
So, all it needed was a full restore. I called again tonight and they talked me through. Press the vol decrease button then the power button until the iTunes logo appears and plug into a computer with iTunes

Or hold the decrease vol button down whilst you plug into a computer with iTunes on it.

Then do a full restore.

Why on earth they didn't tell me this first is beyond me.

This is weird - it's supposed to be Activation locked so I wonder how this is working. Too late for me as it's already gone back.

Enjoy the phone though - glad it worked out for you.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Literally had the same issue with my 6s after I restored it. Account started with an o and ended with @icloud.com

Had to get my phone replaced because it kept locking on its own.

Omen87

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Kansas, USA
wow - that is a crazy software bug

A while back I sold my 6s Plus on Swappa. Turned off Activation Lock, reset the phone and shipped it. The guy receives it and I get a nasty e-mail that the phone is activation locked. Then he sends me a picture and it isn't even my e-mail address. It took about a week of the two of us going back and forth with Apple to get them to unlock the phone.

Something screwy can happen with activation lock it seems.

deadolive

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2014
A while back I sold my 6s Plus on Swappa. Turned off Activation Lock, reset the phone and shipped it. The guy receives it and I get a nasty e-mail that the phone is activation locked. Then he sends me a picture and it isn't even my e-mail address. It took about a week of the two of us going back and forth with Apple to get them to unlock the phone.

Something screwy can happen with activation lock it seems.

It's been a big problem lately. I know many this has happened to many I know after they wiped their 6s and Plus to resell them after getting new phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.