Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2ono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Hey guys,

So I used my new iphone 7 last night for the first time at night, and was pretty confused/dissapointed with my results.

I was at a giants game, it was dark, with lots of flood lights. In the first picture you can see this bluey reflection of the flood lights behind me (I assume anyway), in the sky. Makes no sense, that should be a black hole?

Note bluish lights in sky?

Here's a picture I took looking back at the stadium trying to capture all the gulls flooding in to eat the left over churros, yet there is this ghastly blue reflection of something in the sky....

And finally, I waved my phone around seeing where this thing would appear, it moved around, no consistency to it. I cleaned the lens, made no difference to this phantom light. And then I noticed it on the floor, so there it is on the road, my girlfriend came in up close and you can still see these random dots on her hat so this is my 'proof' that it's messing up as the road and her hat are 10ft away from each other.

Am I going mad? Wut do I do. Phone is less than a week old.

j2ono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Well, Apple swapped it out for a new one, the manager took one look at those pics and thought it was weird.

Try again.

Mre15

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Is your phone in a case ?
I have in the past experienced a similar problem with a case I had on my phone causing reflections.
I took a few photos without the case and all was good. Case went in the bin.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Any time you are image a dark scene and you have a very bright light in the image is will tend to cause reflections inside the lens giving results like you are getting. In a DSLR camera the lenses are much larger and the have baffles inside the lens painted flat black to kill these internal reflections. This is impossible to accomplish in such a small lens like the iPhone.

j2ono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Yup. Phones in a case.

All interesting comments, I'd never had that problem with my previous phone.

In hindsight, I'm surprised that they swapped out my phone so readily like they did, guess it's just a panic reaction to the 7 coming in with any 'faults'.

deadsoul

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
New one is the same. Is this not a problem for anyone else? Night time pics look better on my 5...

Unfortunately you're right I had previously a 5s had better color reproduction than this, I regret upgrading!

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah. Looks more like an internal light reflection. Had this with my 5s and 6+. Just depends on the angle.

Anyways, on a second note...don't stop believen. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.