Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Hey was just wondering what the chances of the next iPhone having a higher resolution display. Just seems a bit odd that the 6S plus only has a 1080p display, and the 6s doesn't even have that, but yet they can record in 4k! Also YouTube recently enabled 1440p videos to be played on the iPhone, is this a sign?

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
The sub pixels are arranged differently on AMOLED vs LCD so 1080P lesser resolution screens are less noticeable on LCD than on AMOLED.

Reactions: Zirel and Skika

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
A QHD iPhone 7 is a 50/50 chance. 4K is not mainstream, but QHD (2560x1440) is not becoming mainstream on 90% of all late 2015/2016 flagship smartphones.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
The 7 plus should have 1440 and the 7 should have 1080. Anything less would be completely unacceptable. After using the note 5 for some time now, the 6s plus display is okay but the 6s is horrible. Using Android again made me realize how far behind the curve Apple really is. From the massive bezels to the subpar display of the 4.7 model, the iphone is about 3 years behind the competition in many aspects.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The 7 plus should have 1440 and the 7 should have 1080. Anything less would be completely unacceptable. After using the note 5 for some time now, the 6s plus display is okay but the 6s is horrible. Using Android again made me realize how far behind the curve Apple really is. From the massive bezels to the subpar display of the 4.7 model, the iphone is about 3 years behind the competition in many aspects.
Couldn't agree more. Add battery size, base storage, and camera aperture and pixel size to the list.

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I know I always wonder why they no longer do anything first, it does not really make any sense to me, like even the dual camera won't be the first phone on the market to offer it

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I know I always wonder why they no longer do anything first, it does not really make any sense to me, like even the dual camera won't be the first phone on the market to offer it
They want others to take the risk first, see what works, and then offer their take on the technology. In a way it's a good thing, but it sucks having to wait so long for everything, perfect example being the larger screen.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Couldn't agree more. Add battery size, base storage, and camera aperture and pixel size to the list.
Battery size isn't that important at the moment due to the amount of time that the phone lasts on a single charge, however the base storage does stump me, as it would only cost them a very small amount of profit from each purchase, and in return they would have a far higher customer satisfaction level due to people not having to delete holidays photos or other items in order to free up space

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Battery size isn't that important at the moment due to the amount of time that the phone lasts on a single charge, however the base storage does stump me, as it would only cost them a very small amount of profit from each purchase, and in return they would have a far higher customer satisfaction level due to people not having to delete holidays photos or other items in order to free up space
Last quarter they sold 74 millions phones; isnt this an indication they have satisfied customers? According to Jd power iphone customer satisfaction is very high. Sure it would be great to get more ram and flash for the same price but that is not the way Apple rolls.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Absolutely right, but they're making too much money from people who refuse to buy 16GB and go for the 64GB, when some of those people would have been fine with a 32GB model. Same concept as buying the larger-sized popcorn at the movies.

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Last quarter they sold 74 millions phones; isnt this an indication they have satisfied customers? According to Jd power iphone customer satisfaction is very high. Sure it would be great to get more ram and flash for the same price but that is not the way Apple rolls.
I'm not saying they have not not satisfied customers, trust me. I'm just sad that they don't add really cool and innovative features any more

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Absolutely right, but they're making too much money from people who refuse to buy 16GB and go for the 64GB, when some of those people would have been fine with a 32GB model. Same concept as buying the larger-sized popcorn at the movies.
While not defending Apple I don't get "it won't cost Apple much" train of thoughts. Why should they give up any profits ? I don't want to give away my services either.
[doublepost=1456010759][/doublepost]
I'm not saying they have not not satisfied customers, trust me. I'm just sad that they don't add really cool and innovative features any more
Sure they do, 3D Touch is really cool and innovative for example. They have been on a roll since iPhone 5s and iOS 7.

Reactions: Skika

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I don't understand why it is not becoming mainstream though?

The Xperia Z5 Premium is the only 4K smartphone in the market. There are advantages and disadvantages of 4K. The only mainstream 4K are laptops and desktops. QHD 2K is the mainstream

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
The Xperia Z5 Premium is the only 4K smartphone in the market. There are advantages and disadvantages of 4K. The only mainstream 4K are laptops and desktops. QHD 2K is the mainstream
Sorry thats what I meant, 2k resolution

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Apple is going to setup more premier feature for "+" version of iPhone in the feature, and I will not be surprised 7+ get QHD, but 7 only get 1080p. Both still are improvement from 6s/6s+.

The reason is profit margin, by giving more feature but able to charge $100 more, Apple is able to increase overall $$$ revenue. Parts different is not going to be anywhere close to $100, but they get $100 extra for customer choice between regular vs plus.

Another reasons is there is simply more room in "+" than regular, hence easier to design better product, included better display, and allow Apple to use slightly larger size component if needed, without sacrifice battery.

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Apple is going to setup more premier feature for "+" version of iPhone in the feature, and I will not be surprised 7+ get QHD, but 7 only get 1080p. Both still are improvement from 6s/6s+.

The reason is profit margin, by giving more feature but able to charge $100 more, Apple is able to increase overall $$$ revenue. Parts different is not going to be anywhere close to $100, but they get $100 extra for customer choice between regular vs plus.

Another reasons is there is simply more room in "+" than regular, hence easier to design better product, included better display, and allow Apple to use slightly larger size component if needed, without sacrifice battery.
Yeah I wish they do this, no problem paying an extra $100 a year for significantly better hardware

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple hasn't really been about doing things first, they've been more about doing things right/better. For example, iPod wasn't the first music player by far, and even the iPhone wasn't the first touchscreen phone.
[doublepost=1456013594][/doublepost]
They do add new features here and there and some those are innovative on some level, although something like a higher resolution would hardly fit into anything all that innovative or new.

Reactions: BeeGood and Simche

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple hasn't really been about doing things first, they've been more about doing things right/better. For example, iPod wasn't the first music player by far, and even the iPhone wasn't the first touchscreen phone.
They do add new features here and there and some those are innovative on some level, although something like a higher resolution would hardly fit into anything all that innovative or new.
Apple adds new features more than "here and there"; each release is chock full of new stuff. One persons innovation though is another persons yawner.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It's not about innovation.720P on a $700 smartphone is completely unacceptable in 2016. Just take a look at the Galaxy S6 screen.Sorry to say it wipes the floor with the screen of the 6s it's just that good.Apple needs to seriously up their screen game.Back in 2011 the Retina display was class leading.No longer

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
It's not about innovation.720P on a $700 smartphone is completely unacceptable in 2016. Just take a look at the Galaxy S6 screen.Sorry to say it wipes the floor with the screen of the 6s it's just that good.Apple needs to seriously up their screen game.Back in 2011 the Retina display was class leading.No longer
I'm sorry but I call bullcrap on this one.
I have the S6 as well which I bought on release day and I have to say that other than being able to set display modes and the deeper blacks, I can't say it is a night and day difference from its 2k screen to my 6S+ 1080p screen. While punchy and contrasty screens looks more catchy to the eyes, I prefer realistic colours and tones and the only way you get that on the S6 is by turning on Basic screen mode and most people use Photo or Adaptive instead cause Basic makes the screen look a bit dull!
Also, Retina was never class leading. The Japanese phones that we never got here already had 720p and 1080p phones in the late 2000s. We just never got them here as the bands weren't fully compatible. They were at war to get high res screens before it became mainstream. Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, and etc all had phones that were 1080p trying to promote their TVs way back before it became mainstream.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What I was responding to was in the context of and in relation to innovation.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I'm sorry but I call bullcrap on this one.
I have the S6 as well which I bought on release day and I have to say that other than being able to set display modes and the deeper blacks, I can't say it is a night and day difference from its 2k screen to my 6S+ 1080p screen. While punchy and contrasty screens looks more catchy to the eyes, I prefer realistic colours and tones and the only way you get that on the S6 is by turning on Basic screen mode and most people use Photo or Adaptive instead cause Basic makes the screen look a bit dull!
Also, Retina was never class leading. The Japanese phones that we never got here already had 720p and 1080p phones in the late 2000s. We just never got them here as the bands weren't fully compatible. They were at war to get high res screens before it became mainstream. Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, and etc all had phones that were 1080p trying to promote their TVs way back before it became mainstream.
I am comparing it with the smaller 6s which has 720P. The difference is visible as clear as day. The iPhone 6s has blurry text compared to the S6 .The Plus edition is already sharper than the 6 in the first place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.