Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
To start off I have an iPhone 6 and wanted to upgrade to a bigger model mainly because of the longer battery. My 6 is having some form of battery issue because it would shut down at 50 percent, but when plugged in would come on and still say around 50. So I figured instead of investing to change the battery let me put the money into a newer bigger phone.

So before I bought the 7+ ten days ago, I was deciding between the 6S/7+ and went with the 7+ because it's the newest, supposedly longer lasting battery compared to the previous model, better front facing and better low light. Even though the 6+ is $100 cheaper it didn't really matter as far as paying or saving the extra $100.

I mainly use it for the apps, texting etc. so it was only until I was my first call around day eight that I realized that the call sounded noticeably different. Muffled at times, and distortion on high volume coming from the earpiece. Also on calls it's as if I can "feel" the conversation similar to the heavy bass in music. (My iPad Air 2 is like that but my research with that is that it's because of thinness.) It threw me because I never experienced that on my 6 and for the most part unless something is way different in a device I normally wouldn't bother returning it etc. So after a google search it seems to be a problem some people are having. Before that google search, I figured it might be something with the new design of the earpiece because of the lack of the head jack where they added something to the earpiece.

My question is, does the 6S+ have the same earpiece design as the 7+? What are the odds the second one would have the same issue? Would waiting for one to be shipped online within 4 weeks be a better batch? I hear that it's good to wait before all the kinks are out. Also my 7+ is the Verizon model, on T-Mobile if that helps although I don't think that would change anything as my signal strength is the same as in my T-Mobile iPhone. I've turned off/phone noise cancellation and no change.

I either want to 1) return and be lucky enough to buy another in store hoping it's fine with no issues.
2) Do the same as above but also buy a 6S+ and compare the two.
I have to make the purchase within a few days to get my promotional rate.

I know I definitely want a plus it's just which. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.