Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Has anyone else had wifi issues with their iPhone 7 Plus? Mine is AT&T, 128GB. It is connected and never shows a drop in bars, but sometimes apps take 20-30 seconds to fetch data. Even using the app store, it takes a long time to use the search function to find apps.

So far its only when I connect to my 5Ghz signal and not the 2.4Ghz setup. It was preset on version 10.0 out of the box, on 10.0.1 after I upgraded, and even now on 10.1 beta. I set it up as new, only logging in to iCloud to get contacts and other synced information. I did not restore from any back up. I've reset network settings and then tried reset all settings. I did a speed test and my ping was over 900 from a local server and the downspeed went from 0.05 Mbps to 24 and then back down to less than 1. The upload would spike more frequently between .05 and 12 Mbps. I tried resetting my modem as well, nothing has fixed the issue so far with my 5Ghz wifi connection. Only my phone is afflicted with this. My iPhone 6 Plus has no issues and my wife's iPhone 7 Plus just arrived today and she hasn't noticed any connection issues.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
What are the 5Ghz speed tests showing on other devices that don't have an issue. Wonder if the router is conflicting with the phone. Possibly how the phone is getting its IP assigned. Forget the network and re-add?

KingCoffee

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
My wifi speeds are all over the place. Earlier it wouldn't even let me connect to the iTunes store. I'm getting 60down and 6up on my MacBook and maybe 6down and 6up on my iPhone 7Plus w the new Beta iOS 10.1
I noticed that when the speed was at a trickle I turned wifi off and back on and it sped up, but only temporarily.
I've tried resetting power.
I will try dictoresno's advice and forget the network and re-add and see if that helps.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
My iPhone 6 Plus was still getting 80-90Mbps down and 15 Mbps up last night on the 5Ghz. I ran it several times and did not see any drop in speed.

I have forgotten the network and reconnected multiple times but that has not helped yet. I don't have any profiles installed and the only difference between the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz is that the 2.4 is mixed B/G/N where the 5 is N only. Both use WPA2 security. I'm not sure what else to try before I go to the Apple store to try and replace the phone. I guess the last thing to do is update my 6 Plus to the iOS 10.1 Beta and see if it has the same issues. I have it on 9.3.3 still since it was jailbroken but I'm trading it in for the AT&T deal so I don't need to keep it on 9.3.3 anymore.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
My iPhone 6 Plus was still getting 80-90Mbps down and 15 Mbps up last night on the 5Ghz. I ran it several times and did not see any drop in speed.

I have forgotten the network and reconnected multiple times but that has not helped yet. I don't have any profiles installed and the only difference between the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz is that the 2.4 is mixed B/G/N where the 5 is N only. Both use WPA2 security. I'm not sure what else to try before I go to the Apple store to try and replace the phone. I guess the last thing to do is update my 6 Plus to the iOS 10.1 Beta and see if it has the same issues. I have it on 9.3.3 still since it was jailbroken but I'm trading it in for the AT&T deal so I don't need to keep it on 9.3.3 anymore.

Don't have a 7 but my 6s with 10.0.1 has zero issues with wifi.

Crazy how most of the problems with IOS 10 are the IP7's.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
I'm having all kinds of issues with wifi as well. I'm using a sprint iPhone 7 plus with T-Mobile. Wifi is super slow and inconsistent. Yet with all my other devices it's perfectly fine. I can't seem to join a 2.4ghz band but I can join my 5ghz band. Very long load times on apps and downloading updates for iOS or Apple Watch.

Reactions: 7roca7

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
Hey i just wanted to give a heads up. I was researching online about the wifi issue we are having. Im running an Asus RT-N66U router that i purposefully set to 40Mhz frequency on my 5ghz access point. Seems like this phone (never an issue before) was the issue....or so i thought. My main machine is connected via ethernet so i never noticed the issue but i did notice that about 5-6 days ago i started to see some degradation of my wireless network, not just my iPhone that i picked up on Thursday. So i checked all my settings and rebooted my router and so far everything is working properly. Ive had this router for some time now and it may need replacing if it keeps doing this as it is affecting all of my wireless connections and not just my iphone. Hope you get your issue resolved, ive been wanting to upgrade my router and this might just make me pull the trigger, if it keeps happening that is.

Reactions: noblerise

danneman

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I have also slow wifi speeds compared to my 6s. I have tried different wifi networks and my iPhone 7 always is far behind.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Same, Wifi seems to disconnect often, and range seems considerably worse than 6S

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I wonder who was the manufacturer of the wifi module....it has similarities to google pixel c owners who have crazy drops in wifi and the speeds are never up to standard ......

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Has anyone else had wifi issues with their iPhone 7 Plus? Mine is AT&T, 128GB. It is connected and never shows a drop in bars, but sometimes apps take 20-30 seconds to fetch data.

Mine might be a bit wonky, but I'm using the beta OS. Keeping an eye on it.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
So looks like I'm not the only one.

Mine doesn't visually show it's not connecting, but sometimes I'll send a message with a large image or web link and it will fail or spend minutes, upwards of 5 minutes to send the image or link. This happens when I'm at work using it's 20 Mbps connection or at home using my 310 Mbps connection. It doesn't matter.

Work is an enterprise network that I have no detail on, but at home it's 5 Ghz.

So yeah.

b ditty

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I also have a 7 plus with weak WiFi. When I say weak, I don't really mean that it is slow, but the range is quite a bit less than my 6 plus was. I have noticed this while out in my shop. With my 6 plus, I can get WiFi signal really easy. Now with the 7 plus I only get about 10 feet through the door and my signal drops. Has apple or anybody addressed this issue yet?

noblerise

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
Hey i just wanted to give a heads up. I was researching online about the wifi issue we are having. Im running an Asus RT-N66U router that i purposefully set to 40Mhz frequency on my 5ghz access point. Seems like this phone (never an issue before) was the issue....or so i thought. My main machine is connected via ethernet so i never noticed the issue but i did notice that about 5-6 days ago i started to see some degradation of my wireless network, not just my iPhone that i picked up on Thursday. So i checked all my settings and rebooted my router and so far everything is working properly. Ive had this router for some time now and it may need replacing if it keeps doing this as it is affecting all of my wireless connections and not just my iphone. Hope you get your issue resolved, ive been wanting to upgrade my router and this might just make me pull the trigger, if it keeps happening that is.

Hey, I've got the same router but only had issues with my iPhone - all other devices (Mac and PC) haven't changed a beat... After changing settings all over the place, finally found out that changing the Control Channel in the Wireless Advanced Settings area. Hope it helps you too! My phone is blistering fast again across all apps, my speed test.net results were fine, apps were so sluggish (especially safari)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 4.47.29 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 4.47.29 pm.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,187

aaroncpiper

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Hey, I've got the same router but only had issues with my iPhone - all other devices (Mac and PC) haven't changed a beat... After changing settings all over the place, finally found out that changing the Control Channel in the Wireless Advanced Settings area. Hope it helps you too! My phone is blistering fast again across all apps, my speed test.net results were fine, apps were so sluggish (especially safari)...
[doublepost=1476463653][/doublepost]My iphone 7 plus (256) has the same issue. It drops connections after about 2-30 seconds. It has gotten so bad I only turn WiFi on when I have to do app updates. My LTE speeds are faster than having to wait for it to re-connect. I called support, but they just ran me through dumb steps, "forget network", etc. It is not my network because my old iphone 6 still works just fine on the same network. I think I am just stuck waiting for 10.1 at this point and then hoping it isnt a hardware issue...

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
This was the same issue the Samsung S7 was having. The solution was to go into your router and turn off IPv6. Many cable provider don't even utilize IPv6, and that can cause issues with these new devices.

rjtroester

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
My iPhone 7 (32GB - Verizon) has been flaky on WiFi from day one. I have several other devices all running iOS 10.1.1 and nothing else is having the issue. It's happening to me at home at work and all of these leads me to think it's either a hardware issue with the WiFi modules in the iPhone 7, a bug in iOS, or - as was mentioned above - perhaps an issue with IPv6. I'll try disabling it at home and see if there's any improvement.

LtRoyalShrimp

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
SF, CA
Found this thread because I googled "iPhone 7 slow wifi"

Basically, this is my router:

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz as one SSID. Netgear calls it "Smart Connect"

--

I noticed that my iPhone 7 Plus was acting slow when uploading or sending iMessages, so I ran a speed test

iPhone 7 Plus speed test via speedtest.net app: 20Mbps down/20Mbps up
Then I tried my 2012 Retina Macbook pro, same location, same wifi connection: 250Mbps down/30Mbps up

Anyone got any ideas on what to do? This does not make sense to me. Is the wifi chip in the phone really that much slower or low power?

Edit: I had my roommate test his iPhone 6 in the same location, and got 120Mbps download. Im so confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: lifezlilwndr

steve broshears

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Has anyone else had wifi issues with their iPhone 7 Plus? Mine is AT&T, 128GB. It is connected and never shows a drop in bars, but sometimes apps take 20-30 seconds to fetch data. Even using the app store, it takes a long time to use the search function to find apps.

So far its only when I connect to my 5Ghz signal and not the 2.4Ghz setup. It was preset on version 10.0 out of the box, on 10.0.1 after I upgraded, and even now on 10.1 beta. I set it up as new, only logging in to iCloud to get contacts and other synced information. I did not restore from any back up. I've reset network settings and then tried reset all settings. I did a speed test and my ping was over 900 from a local server and the downspeed went from 0.05 Mbps to 24 and then back down to less than 1. The upload would spike more frequently between .05 and 12 Mbps. I tried resetting my modem as well, nothing has fixed the issue so far with my 5Ghz wifi connection. Only my phone is afflicted with this. My iPhone 6 Plus has no issues and my wife's iPhone 7 Plus just arrived today and she hasn't noticed any connection issues.

my phone a 6 has been this way since
i got it a year ago. each wireless hotspot
has a bssid number. when i connect i first check the speed and bssid number.
when i notice a speed change i check
the bssid again and i find a different
number indicating a hotspot change.
it can jump all around between good
and bad hotspots. this hotspot jumping
is a mess.

download two types of apps one to check speed another to check bssid
if you notice a change check your
current bssid and see if it changed.

i have been talking at tech support
for 15 months about this. they have
not fixed it. hotspots and resulting
speed jump all over the place

sb

zappa2001

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
I'm having a very similar issue, but mine started right after Verizon sent me a "carrier upgrade" out-of-nowhere. I have an iphone 7 256gb pink, and It's been a month now and I constantly drop connection with my 5ghz. Everything else in my home is connected and works great with my 5ghz and is consistent. So, I can get my phone connected to the 2.4ghz band, but it's the only way I can keep my phone online. I'd prefer to just have everything go through the 5ghz that works on 5ghz, and limit notebooks to the 2.4ghz, but it's not an option, apparently.

Now, maybe this "carrier update" is just a coincidence now that I read your comments? It seems to have had an affect on a lot of people. It keeps acting like it will connect to the 5ghz, but it just is pathetically slow if it can stay connected when I run tests, and it can't run YouTube and other streaming services well at all. At first I thought I was getting a lot of interference with my wireless speakers in my home? But nothing else is effected in the slightest.

steve broshears

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
My wifi speeds are all over the place. Earlier it wouldn't even let me connect to the iTunes store. I'm getting 60down and 6up on my MacBook and maybe 6down and 6up on my iPhone 7Plus w the new Beta iOS 10.1
I noticed that when the speed was at a trickle I turned wifi off and back on and it sped up, but only temporarily.
I've tried resetting power.
I will try dictoresno's advice and forget the network and re-add and see if that helps.
[doublepost=1483051710][/doublepost]i found this on another mac forum

you will not like it

to stabelize your wifi speeds just
disable location services and thus
your gps forget about navigation

and your wifi will stop jumping
around. and it worked for me

Reactions: Riostoker

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Was having an issue just now with wifi.

I was 4.94Mbps down, 4.33 Mbps up.

I think I corrected the badness by going to iCloud in my settings, and doing a manual backup. Seemed to free up my bandwidth for some reason. Now....

Attachments

• IMG_1855.PNG
    IMG_1855.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 590

Riostoker

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2017
[doublepost=1483051710][/doublepost]i found this on another mac forum

you will not like it

to stabelize your wifi speeds just
disable location services and thus
your gps forget about navigation

and your wifi will stop jumping
around. and it worked for me

You're right... I don't like your answer but it worked. My iPhone 7 has been really flakey with wifi to the point that I often turn it off and use data. This morning I ran an Ookla Speedtest on wifi and got download speed of 0.1 Mbps. My husband's android was getting 225 Mbps right next to me. Based on this thread I closed all apps and rebooted my phone. That got me to 97 Mbps which was a huge improvement but still half what my husband was getting. I tried turning off location services but the speed test app needed it. I set that app to "while using", and all the apps that were currently set to "while using" (like uber, Instagram, maps... none of which were running), I set to "never". My download speed is now 224 Mbps. Sigh. I really don't want to have to go into settings to change location services every time I use an app that needs it just to get decent wifi speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.