Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Hi everyone,

this is a table with the specs I think the iPhone 7 will come with:

DeEAAEi.png

And this is an image with some bezel reduction in iPhone 7. I think this iPhone will come with a more square design and different back. However, due to my limitations in design skills, I just shrank the bezels of the current iPhone for everyone to get a feel of how it might be:

roM1Kvs.png

What do you guys think?

Stacked

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Do y'all think they're going to slim down the bezel ? I read something that said the only reason why the bezel is so big is because of the length of the internal headphone jack. I'm guessing with that rumored to be leaving in the 7 they may shrink the bezel some

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Seems plausible. Don't think they will change the resolution though. I'm going plus this time around so looking forward for the res bump I get either way.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Do y'all think they're going to slim down the bezel ? I read something that said the only reason why the bezel is so big is because of the length of the internal headphone jack. I'm guessing with that rumored to be leaving in the 7 they may shrink the bezel some
When Apple finally cracks how they're going to remove the home button, we'll be talking.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
I think your list makes sense, I'm not sure about OIS on the 7 (vs exclusive to the 7s like it is on the 6/6s). I really would like that to be true, I don't care about optical zoom but missing out on OIS on my 6s kinda sucks.

I would like it if Apple somehow figured out the whole sapphire screen deal and switched to glass/ceramic so we could have wireless charging and along with dropping the headphone jack no ports and IP7+ water resistance. Rumors say they're sticking with aluminum and the lightning port for one more gen though.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I think your list makes sense, I'm not sure about OIS on the 7 (vs exclusive to the 7s like it is on the 6/6s). I really would like that to be true, I don't care about optical zoom but missing out on OIS on my 6s kinda sucks.

I would like it if Apple somehow figured out the whole sapphire screen deal and switched to glass/ceramic so we could have wireless charging and along with dropping the headphone jack no ports and IP7+ water resistance. Rumors say they're sticking with aluminum and the lightning port for one more gen though.

The reason I think OIS is going to come to the iPhone 7 is because there's no reason not to include it there, Apple will be able to differentiate the 7 Plus camera with the dual lens setup and the benefits that come with it. However, this is just my line of reasoning.

Agreed minus the resolution. I don't see any need to increase it.

There are some reasons I can think of that might explain the resolution bump:

1 - True "retina display". I speak for myself: With 326 PPI I can distinguish pixels at normal distance from the phone when I'm in a dark environment with a weak yellow light source (a.k.a. my room). Can't say that to the 6s Plus (401 PPI)

2 - Less trade offs. With GPU power increasing, screens with more efficient use of resources (check the 5k iMac), and lower power consumption by the CPU/GPU, there are fewer incentives to keep resolution "low".

3 - Possibly lower production costs. 1920 by 1080 is a very widespread resolution. Despite being higher resolution, screen supply at this resolution might be cheaper due to economies of scale.

4 - Marketing proposes. Sure, the benefits might be marginal, but Apple needs to check the competition in this department and not become a late late laggard.

Last edited:
Reactions: _pedro_

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The new 4" iPhone isn't going to be a 7 mini or even part of the 7 series. It's been widely known for a while now that it is a 5se. It is simply just updating the guts of the 5s to be more in line with the 6s and offer a 4" with Apple Pay and such. It's not going to have an A10. It will be a A9. Resolution will probably be 720p or 750p on it. It's only bringing the 5s up to 6s hardware (minus the 3D Touch)

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The new 4" iPhone isn't going to be a 7 mini or even part of the 7 series. It's been widely known for a while now that it is a 5se. It is simply just updating the guts of the 5s to be more in line with the 6s and offer a 4" with Apple Pay and such. It's not going to have an A10. It will be a A9. Resolution will probably be 720p or 750p on it. It's only bringing the 5s up to 6s hardware (minus the 3D Touch)
I agree that it won't be part of the 7 series (I mean how could it, since the 7 hasn't even been introduced?), but I'm willing to bet that they'll use the same 640p display as the 5/5s, MAYBE with the dual-domain pixel technology introduced in the 6.
[doublepost=1454809473][/doublepost]That image looks like a plausible design. It looks pretty good, actually.

Reactions: DanielDD

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Hi everyone,

this is a table with the specs I think the iPhone 7 will come with:

DeEAAEi.png

And this is an image with some bezel reduction in iPhone 7. I think this iPhone will come with a more square design and different back. However, due to my limitations in design skills, I just shrank the bezels of the current iPhone for everyone to get a feel of how it might be:

roM1Kvs.png

What do you guys think?
thanks for your speculation. I think if the SE is rounded as rumors suggest, we're not going to see another squared off iPhone for a while.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
no reason apple cant reduce the diameter of the home button by 10-15% and then also reduce the bezel height above and below that button, as your remder shows. they could keep the home button and still shrink the bezels by about a third.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
no reason apple cant reduce the diameter of the home button by 10-15% and then also reduce the bezel height above and below that button, as your remder shows. they could keep the home button and still shrink the bezels by about a third.

Hi, I didn't reduce the home button in that render. Everything looks smaller, but I only edited the bezels :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't think we will see a higher resolution on the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, I do think we may see the dual camera lense but that could change, I recently read a rumour that Apple are testing 5 different modles with different features, if this is true then nothing is set in stone they may change right up until the September event.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Hi, I didn't reduce the home button in that render. Everything looks smaller, but I only edited the bezels :)

Right, I'm just saying that in addition to shrinking the bezels above and below the home button like you did, they could also shrink the home button itself a little bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.