Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will the storage options be for the iPhone 7?

• Total voters

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Any guesses as to what the storage options will be?

Take the poll

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm thinking Apple will go with 32, 128 and 256 with a price hike as well. The reason I think they will increase storage from 16GB, is because Apple know that with the better cameras on the 7, especially the dual lens camera, it will take up more space, not to mention the Live Photos and 4K video from the 6s.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
I'm thinking with every storage jump, it will be an extra £100 like it normally is anyway. We shouldn't have long to find out anyway :)

Well £699 for the 6S Plus at the moment. Could be possibly looking at £750 maybe for the 128gb 7 Plus

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Well £699 for the 6S Plus at the moment. Could be possibly looking at £750 maybe for the 128gb 7 Plus

Yea I'd say that sounds about right, I'm also wondering if Apple will announce a new set of earphones/headphones as a premium accessory to buy separately, since they see, to be removing the headphone jack, they also own Beats, it seems a logical conclusion to jump too. Also I've noticed that in most stores including HMV, that I've been into they seem to be selling off the wired Beats headphones, coincidence?......possibly :eek::D

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Yea I'd say that sounds about right, I'm also wondering if Apple will announce a new set of earphones/headphones as a premium accessory to buy separately, since they see, to be removing the headphone jack, they also own Beats, it seems a logical conclusion to jump too. Also I've noticed that in most stores including HMV, that I've been into they seem to be selling off the wired Beats headphones, coincidence?......possibly :eek::D

I have some wired beats so gonna be a bummer to have to use lightning adapters with them. I'd happily buy some wireless beats if apple gave me some discount for buying a 7 plus, but that isn't going to happen.

Also all the wireless beats I've had on iPhone have always had audio lag and lips were out of sync, so a bit dubious to shell out for some more.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I have some wired beats so gonna be a bummer to have to use lightning adapters with them. I'd happily buy some wireless beats if apple gave me some discount for buying a 7 plus, but that isn't going to happen.

Also all the wireless beats I've had on iPhone have always had audio lag and lips were out of sync, so a bit dubious to shell out for some more.

I also have some wired Beats solo 2's so it will be a pain to need to buy more, i think Apple could put an adapter in the box, if so I might stick with the headphones I have.

There has been a rumour that they are working on a truly wireless pair of earphones, like the Bragidash ones, it would make sense to announce them alongside the iPhone 7.

Another reason for Apple upping the storage could be music quality, if they plan to increase it wouldn't that take up more storage for those that download their music? Even people like me who have Apple Music and download the tracks to keep for offline listening.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
How nice would it be to get 128 instead of 64. Hope prices will not vary that much..

Wouldn't it be nice if they kept prices the same and just added an extra £100 for the 256GB version, I fear that may be wishful thinking tho ;)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The 128GB 6S plus is £789. I wouldn't expect the 7 in the same capacity to cost any less.
[doublepost=1472388281][/doublepost]
I don't think it's related as even if the iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack (very likely) there are still people who will need wired headphones and most people will still be using older iPhones which still have the headphone jack. It will take years before not having a headphone jack becomes the standard thing.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The 128GB 6S plus is £789. I wouldn't expect the 7 in the same capacity to cost any less.
[doublepost=1472388281][/doublepost]
I don't think it's related as even if the iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack (very likely) there are still people who will need wired headphones and most people will still be using older iPhones which still have the headphone jack. It will take years before not having a headphone jack becomes the standard thing.

I wonder how much a 128GB iPhone 7 Plus will cost then? Maybe £50 - £100 more?

Very true, but maybe they are trying to slowly get people off using the headphone port. Personally I hope they include an adapter in the box, that way I can use my current headphones and upgrade next year maybe, unless of course Apple make their own version of the Bragidash and I like them.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I wonder how much a 128GB iPhone 7 Plus will cost then? Maybe £50 - £100 more?

Very true, but maybe they are trying to slowly get people off using the headphone port. Personally I hope they include an adapter in the box, that way I can use my current headphones and upgrade next year maybe, unless of course Apple make their own version of the Bragidash and I like them.
Well I'm hoping it will be the same price as the current 128GB 6S plus (£789). If the 256GB is £100 I could stretch to that but I can't pay more than £900 for a phone because that will be over £1,0000 including apple care!!! Crazy for a phone.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Well I'm hoping it will be the same price as the current 128GB 6S plus (£789). If the 256GB is £100 I could stretch to that but I can't pay more than £900 for a phone because that will be over £1,0000 including apple care!!! Crazy for a phone.

I'm not so sure Apple will keep it at the same price :confused: I hope they do as well. If they are adding 32GB as the base does that cost Apple more? If so they will higher the price in order to keep their profit margins.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm not so sure Apple will keep it at the same price :confused: I hope they do as well. If they are adding 32GB as the base does that cost Apple more? If so they will higher the price in order to keep their profit margins.

Since inception of set sizes NAND prices have dropped enough it won't cost Apple more i.e. 32 gb is cheaper now than 16 gb was when the price was set.

This will obviously cost Apple the decline in prices cost them compared to what they were charging us.

In this furiously competitive market I don't see Apple increasing prices per say. However they will find something to squeeze in there to maximize profit like 4 models 32, 64, 128, 256. Or some other variant that seems like a different model all together that carries a higher premium.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't see Apple increasing prices per say. However they will find something to squeeze in there to maximize profit like 4 models 32, 64, 128, 256. Or some other variant that seems like a different model all together that carries a higher premium.

That was the rumour with the so called "Pro" model but apparently Apple decided against doing that. But there's also another rumour that it was a fall back option incase the dual lens camera wasn't ready for the Plus. I could see Apple adding 4 options, or maybe they will announce something else? Something we haven't heard about yet?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
My guess would be 32/128/256, and if they do take this route, it's very clever.

Apple has had the 16/64/128 configurations for 2 years now, which has convinced a decent chunk of people to opt for the 64. Now if they axe the 64, those who chose 64 before and would like to again have 2 options:

1) Save $100 and choose 32, but have half the capacity you've gotten used to, or

2) Go for 128 and keep paying the $100 premium, but have more storage than you'll ever need or want.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Nah lol. Of those options 32,64 and 256 is more probable. Maybe they will have 4? 32,64,128 and 256.

That lineup is *possible*, but I definitely wouldn't say more probable. If they do 32,64,256... 64's value is dropped considerably.

For one, you'd be paying a $100 premium for 64, for a 32GB bump as opposed to a 48GB bump, as it currently stands. That's only doubling the storage. Then, for $100 more than the 64, you can quadruple your storage for 256. Unless they do a $50 increment between the 32 and 64, there's just no way I can see 32 and 64 being options together, since the differences between tiers have widened.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
That lineup is *possible*, but I definitely wouldn't say more probable. If they do 32,64,256... 64's value is dropped considerably.

For one, you'd be paying a $100 premium for 64, for a 32GB bump as opposed to a 48GB bump, as it currently stands. That's only doubling the storage. Then, for $100 more than the 64, you can quadruple your storage for 256. Unless they do a $50 increment between the 32 and 64, there's just no way I can see 32 and 64 being options together, since the differences between tiers have widened.
As long as 16GB existed the structure never made sense to begin with.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013

Ya, I've never been successfully able to watch video while listening through bluetooth. I really hope they address this in the keynote.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I never waited in lines with releases cause I know the 64/128GB devices had less demand so it was always appealing to my schedule :p

Ah yeah, I remember falling asleep right before midnight for the iPhone 6 preorders. Ended up waking up at like 9 AM the next morning. Went on Sprint's website and the 16GB's were all past release date delivery, but 64GB was still golden. Got it on release day no sweat!

Reactions: alexmarchuk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.