Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
"Well, I think we have to be the best and I think we have to not leave a price umbrella underneath us, and we are working very hard to fulfill both of those goals."

I hope that Apple doesn't continue to follow through with this ideology. Otherwise, it will be difficult for us to see a version of the iPhone with much better features, such as a better camera (more mps and flash), possibly a second camera for video conferencing, a video recording app, a voice dialing app, more memory, removable battery/longer-lasting battery, a WiMAX antenna, a compass, and a memory slot for an SD or microSD card.

This would be a "Pro" version of the iPhone that would provide more functionality for a premium. I believe that there are quite a few people who would pay an additional amount for such features. However, this will not happen if Apple sticks to its "high quality/low price" model.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
It is if they get so focused on the iPhone that they ignore everything else. At some point the iPhone will reach it's saturation market. Not everyone that wants a phone will want an iPhone. And phone buyers seem to like to change phone, and phone designs, often before they get totally bored with it. So having diversification in the products they offer will lead to long term profitability.

Doesn't fit the facts. Apple are the #3 mobile phone seller, so lots of people do want the iPhone. It's making a lot of Apple's revenue, but that's not the whole story - it's got a lot of the market as a whole.

The iPhone is also not static - there are lots of software updates. The 2.0 update pretty much turned the EDGE iPhone in to a new phone with the additional software features.

Your argument isn't logical - if people want to change phones, why not upgrade their current iPhone to the newest model? If Apple is concentrating on the iPhone as much as you say they are, there should be a new model every year. This saturation argument is the same as we heard with the iPod, and that never came to be.

I doubt Apple is concentrating on the iPhone as much as the revenue statement would lead some to think. There are separate teams that work in each business, and all of them are doing well, because all businesses are growing. Apple isn't abandoning the Mac (you'd be crazy to think they were).

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Apple is not about being first at doing something it's about being the first to do it right. Have you ever used an HP touchscreen PC, I have, they're horrendous

Patience, young grasshopper. Apple’s never worried about being the first to rush a product to market. That philosophy is akin to the morons who scream “FIRST!!!11!!” at the top of most forum boards. Instead, they try to be the first to implement that functionality well. They certainly weren’t first to the MP3 game and we all see how poorly that turned out. And man, smartphones

Being first to market isn't important. Being first to market and doing it right is. The touch-screen PCs I've worked with were not a pleasure to use.

Thank you for the replies. I'm new to being an Apple customer (I used to hate Apple (I was younger and closed-minded), but now I own an iPod mini and an iPhone3G and I'm considering a MacBook Air). I used to always think that Apple was first to market after hearing hundreds of people tell me that Microsoft copied the concept of a GUI from Apple and then seeing the first-gen iPhones (and fyi: the first mp3 player that I ever saw was an iPod ... about 6 years ago). But thanks for the replies. I learn something new about Apple every day. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out how in the heck to "right click" on a Mac. I've been a PC user for decades, but lately I've been trying to use the Macs at our local library, and I have to say it's an awkward transition. But I'm being persistent and hoping I will see the benefit.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
..a "Pro" version of the iPhone ..a version of the iPhone with much better features, such as a better camera (more mps and flash), possibly a second camera for video conferencing, a video recording app, a voice dialing app, more memory, removable battery/longer-lasting battery, a WiMAX antenna, a compass, and a memory slot for an SD or microSD card.

..more functionality for a premium. I believe that there are quite a few people who would pay an additional amount for such features.

BRILLIANT IDEA !!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(if smart phones continue the current trend of becoming more and more like computers, then I think this concept is inevitable in the long run)

iPhoneJoe

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
With the iphone accounting for 39% of their profits I'd say it was a smart business decision

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Can anyone explain what a price umbrella is?

If you sell a product at a price that is too high, it allows and encourages competitors to come up with competing products that may not be quite as good, but almost as good, and cheaper, and take away your sales. That is called a "price umbrella": Your competitors are protected by your own high price. But if the price is low enough, competitors won't even try to undercut you with a cheaper product.

It also ties into the theory of Disruptive Technology presented in the book "The Innovators Dilemma." See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

If the iPhone (and I think macs in this case too) remain a high end luxury item, competitors will make cheaper items to fill in that lower price point. These items won't be as good as the Apple items, but they will be 'good enough.' Technology doesn't stand still though and these items will get better which means the iPhone also has to continue to improve at that rate (or lower in price) or eventually it will be overtaken by the less expensive devices gaining features in an evolutionary fashion.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
What a bummer. It's no wonder the new Macs are the way they are. Mac sales aren't that important to Apple anymore.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I don't think you understand the distinction between putting all your eggs in one basket and making a ****ton of money from one product. It's not like they've invested the future of the company in the iPhone.(Though that would probably work anyway) Are you suggesting that making a wildly successful product is a BAD thing?

No, it is a good thing that they are making the money, the bad thing could be how Apple moves forward, i.e. they continue to focus efforts too much on the iPhone and ignore the other product lines or, if they rely too heavily on the profits of the iPhone which is in a pretty fickle market as people love getting the latest greatest phone and dont necessarily remain loyal to a brand, then Apple could hurt itself. Not in anyway suggesting that they are heading down this way, just examples of what could potentially happen. The cutting of firewire ports in the new portables is a could example, Apple has how much cash available and they are skimping on a single port (a consumer view).

"Well, I think we have to be the best and I think we have to not leave a price umbrella underneath us, and we are working very hard to fulfill both of those goals."

I hope that Apple doesn't continue to follow through with this ideology. Otherwise, it will be difficult for us to see a version of the iPhone with much better features, such as a better camera (more mps and flash), possibly a second camera for video conferencing, a video recording app, a voice dialing app, more memory, removable battery/longer-lasting battery, a WiMAX antenna, a compass, and a memory slot for an SD or microSD card.

(re Editguy's post) Doesn't fit the facts. Apple are the #3 mobile phone seller, so lots of people do want the iPhone. It's making a lot of Apple's revenue, but that's not the whole story - it's got a lot of the market as a whole.

The iPhone is also not static - there are lots of software updates. The 2.0 update pretty much turned the EDGE iPhone in to a new phone with the additional software features.

Your argument isn't logical - if people want to change phones, why not upgrade their current iPhone to the newest model? If Apple is concentrating on the iPhone as much as you say they are, there should be a new model every year. This saturation argument is the same as we heard with the iPod, and that never came to be.

Although we probably wont see this for another 2 years or so, Apple needs to ensure the iPhone hardware & software is continually upgraded and kept as current as possible (unlike the MacMini). You can only do so much with software to cover the shortcomings of hardware and also the reverse. Cell Phones are a world of constant change, even if Apple provides a quality device, it doesnt mean the market will share the same view when the other models have a better camera or better integration into corporate networks etc etc. So long as Apple maintains the innovation and provides fresh products then they should be fine, only do very minor updates and people will be more tempted to move on. Also the more change that occurs the easier it is to justify the pricing vs other models even if say the Android phones get cheaper.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you sell a product at a price that is too high, it allows and encourages competitors to come up with competing products that may not be quite as good, but almost as good, and cheaper, and take away your sales. That is called a "price umbrella": Your competitors are protected by your own high price. But if the price is low enough, competitors won't even try to undercut you with a cheaper product.

Excellent answer.

Example: the first Android-powered phone, priced at $179, is protected by Apple's $199 umbrella. If Apple can drive the price of the iPhone down closer to $100, it becomes that much more difficult for competitors to introduce competitive products.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Excellent answer.

Example: the first Android-powered phone, priced at $179, is protected by Apple's $199 umbrella. If Apple can drive the price of the iPhone down closer to $100, it becomes that much more difficult for competitors to introduce competitive products.

$179 > $199 is not much of an umbrella though IMO.

However, we will most likely see touchscreen Android phones at $99 before long.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The qtr ending in Sept is Apple's fiscal year end.

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
What a bummer. It's no wonder the new Macs are the way they are.

Yeah. The best computers in the market. They simply have to do better.

It's really an astonishing result. To become the third biggest mobile phone company in revenue after eighteen months is unheard of. To even have the audacity to take on a market that had seemingly reached saturation point and compete with companies entrenched in that market, that supposedly knew better, is admirable for it's courageousness alone.

Apple bets their future in moves like this. And they win.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Yeah. The best computers in the market. They simply have to do better.

It's really an astonishing result. To become the third biggest mobile phone company in revenue after eighteen months is unheard of. To even have the audacity to take on a market that had seemingly reached saturation point and compete with companies entrenched in that market, that supposedly knew better, is admirable for it's courageousness alone.

Apple bets their future in moves like this. And they win.

IMO, they're not close to the best computers on the market. There's little consumer choice in models, and not close to enough BTO options. The hardware prices are also 50% higher than PC's with identical hardware. And there isn't enough power available in their Macbook "Pro" line, and what is available is at insane prices. And all that is ignoring the latest releases, with no MB firewire and no MBP Matte screens, as well as almost identical hardware as the previous lineup, and a higher-priced Macbook with a less powerful processor.

Macs may be great products for rich people, but in this economy they won't do well, as people cut back on non-necessary spending in their budgets.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
$25 billion on cash and save $20 on the firewire :eek:

run and hide ...

--disgruntled apple fanboy
:)

FW probably costs much less than $20.

In the long run, I'm really curious to see how this will play out. While there have been phones this popular before, I don't know that there have been many times like this when a single phone held one of the top three company market shares in the phone industry. That's the astonishing part.
Agree about the astonishing part.

Apple done good! ;)

What a bummer. It's no wonder the new Macs are the way they are. Mac sales aren't that important to Apple anymore.
Actually they are. Did you see the Mac sales increase. Unbelievable.

Apple is doing it right. Methodical updates that are good, and much faster than they used to do them years ago with the PPC platform.

Excellent answer.

Agree.

At these price levels, I don't believe that it needs to be that much to make a difference.

Doesn't Q4 2008 end at the end of December, not mid Oct???
Apple's Fiscal Year is from October 1st to September 30th.

Many US companies and the government follow this system.

FWIW, in Japan, the typical FY is from April 1st to March 31st.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

I don't think much of a price umbrella is required on consumer products. If Apple offered the iPhone for $100, competitors would have to come at least a few dollars under that price if they hope to steal away market share. The lower the umbrella, the more discouraging it becomes for competitors to try. It's good to know that Apple recognizes that they must continue to put pricing pressure on their competitors if they want to continue to grow market share for the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.