Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goblinmason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Hello,

I've got it in my head that I'm going to make one of these. However, I'm a noob when is comes to coding, but I'm good with computers and can pick up on stuff quickly. I know the very basics of coding (html, css), but that's about it. I've downloaded the Iphone SDK and started reading over the help stuff in Xcode, but it seems to be going over my head.

Can a noob like mean learn this in any reasonable amount of time, or am I in too deep? If so, how would you reccomend that I start?

If not, where should I start to eventually be able to develop this skill?

-Craig

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Hello,

I've got it in my head that I'm going to make one of these. However, I'm a noob when is comes to coding, but I'm good with computers and can pick up on stuff quickly. I know the very basics of coding (html, css), but that's about it. I've downloaded the Iphone SDK and started reading over the help stuff in Xcode, but it seems to be going over my head.

Can a noob like mean learn this in any reasonable amount of time, or am I in too deep? If so, how would you reccomend that I start?

-Craig
There are plenty of similar threads already in this forum. I'd suggest checking them out as well as the stickies at the top of this forum.

P.S. HTML and CSS are not the basics of programming. They are just languages used for markup.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Faq?

We need an FAQ for this specific (software newbie) topic. Perhaps from a few former non-programmers who tried really hard for 2 months and gave up, as well as the one or two lucky geniuses who actually learned from scratch, and got an app finished and submitted.

Anyone?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

A year of university courses, including object oriented programming, algorithms and data structures, and software methodology (or equivalent self study). Depending on your app specialty, maybe also courses in user interface psychology, computer art design/animation, technical marketing, signal processing, computer performance analysis, IT network architecture, and real-time and/or embedded systems as well.

Then intense study of a book or three on Objective C and Cocoa.

goblinmason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Cool - Thanks for the responses guys. I posted this on another forum (after searching) but forgot to search here.

Thanks for the info - I'll search!

Craig

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I've done some Java in the past, along with Python, Ruby and the various web markup languages (HTML, CSS, PHP etc.).

I approached iPhone app writing completely without any knowledge of Objective-C. In two months I had my first game out. Two days later, another game. A few weeks later, a third game, and now a free version of one of the games.

A lot of my initial work was done by reading through the Apple sample code and experimenting. Some things you won't understand straight away, but if you load up one of the examples and start tinkering, you'll get the hang of it.

A great place for help is the Apple Developer forums, too.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've done some Java in the past, along with Python, Ruby ... In two months I had my first game out.

That seems to be a good median number from what I've heard. About 2 months for someone who already knows how to program and develop apps in some other OO programming language, to learn the iPhone SDK and finish a new and interesting iPhone app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.