Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rae1436

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hi, I'm new here, and relatively new to smartphones in general. I got an iPhone 4 in June, and have loved it, with one exception: backup. I've synced it up and backed it up regularly, in hopes that my info would be secure and retrievable, but, yesterday, discovered it wasn't.

My 1 yr old got ahold of my iPhone for just a minute, but it was long enough to delete a very important app. When I tried to restore it from the back up, it required a password, which I never entered.

I searched everywhere and tried all the advice: every password I have or ever used, the pincode I temporarily used on my iPhone, and my husband even grabbed a password cracker off the net, and we still can't figure it out.

I've read that once the backup is encoded, regardless of who or what did it, it can not be retrieved. Fine, I accept that. But if I delete it, will iTunes prompt me for a new backup and password? And if that will work, how do I delete it?

The app reloaded and I can reenter most of the data, but I want to be sure that I am protected in the future, and that I will be able to buy a new iPhone someday without having to reenter every single thing.

We're using Windows xp and the latest iTunes, bc we always upgrade at the prompt.

Thank you!
Rachel

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.