Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
So we can buy a WAY overpriced item for $129
OR
buy THESE by on amazon, which are basically the same thing (and work great as I have some), for $12

51Kk7qjBScL.jpg
The reviews aren't very good on that particular product though.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I bought two VR headsets in the mid range last week, the Project Fly which claims 120 degree field of view and the HOMido which claims 100 degree and doesn't' mist up.

Both are utterly awful with the iPhone. I mean basically unusable. They were both priced over £100 originally. I tried them for about a total of 30 minutes combined with a bunch of the best VR apps and its not something id ever like to repeat. The quality is just diabolical.

I'm sure HTC Vive and Oculus Rift is a million times better, but I have no real idea to experience VR again now - it'd have to be earth shatteringly good and even though i'd only like to experience being in different places, not playing games.

epirali

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Maryland
So we can buy a WAY overpriced item for $129
OR
buy THESE by on amazon, which are basically the same thing (and work great as I have some), for $12

51Kk7qjBScL.jpg

A big part of the VR experience is the quality of the lens and how well it generates the optics to create the correct focal length. I am guessing the cheap ones use fernel and/or crappy plastic lenses and zeiss uses Hugh quality/good optics glass lenses?

Reactions: jettredmont

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I don't know about wearing these things. My mother always told me not to sit too close to the TV so having this literally an inch from my eyes seems weird. Not to mention it also seems like it would be heavy. And then there is the whole dorkiness of walking around with this on you head thing. Google had the right idea with their glasses, just poorly implemented.

There is nothing wrong with sitting "too close to the TV" (that is a myth that survived from the early days of cathode ray tubes when some x-rays would escape the tube, which wasn't really even a big enough deal back then to warrant the warnings). Focal distance can be a cause of strain, but that is generally countered by simply removing the screen from in front of your face every now and then.

But no, you should not be walking around with these like you would an AR-based solution like Google Glass or Hololens.

markieG84

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2016
Cool! I think I'm in. I have two high end gaming PCs and am tempted to buy an oculus or vive, but I will wait until there is better support on pc and also a better and more standardized headset. This will hold me over. The iPhone has a puzzlingly strong gpu anyways. I have been trying to figure out why powervr doesn't get in the desktop graphics market. We could certainly use more competition there. Anyone know why they don't?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.