Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
But keep in mind none of this is new, since the same API's have been around on the Mac for a very long time. Anyone freaking out because it does so on a smartphone should hide under a rock and shut the hell up.

Actually, it is new. As I touched on in my previous post, the iPhone has a single C function that returns the device's phone number. It is completely unrelated to the Address Book API, which does let you access the "me" record, if it's available. To be specific, the function is in the CoreTelephony framework, which is not a part of Mac OS X.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Actually, it is new. As I touched on in my previous post, the iPhone has a single C function that returns the device's phone number. It is completely unrelated to the Address Book API, which does let you access the "me" record, if it's available. To be specific, the function is in the CoreTelephony framework, which is not a part of Mac OS X.

The iPhones phone number can also be edited on the sim card so that it shows a different phone number without actually changing the phone number of the phone itself. This is the number that iTunes shows and it is also the number shown at the top of the contacts list.

CHange the number by going to settings/Phone/My Number. Again editing this won't change the actual phone number of your phone, but only the number that is shown on the phone itself and in iTunes and it too should fool these apps....

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
Looks like apple is going to lose out on a iphone sale. As i do not want to get in to this crap.

trrosen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
it must die

Looks like we may finally have validation for Apple's kill switch. This is exactly the kind of thing it should be used for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.