Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qubelek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2024
Hello. I recently moved to iPhone 15 but I noticed my old 13 has better build quality than the current 15. It feels more solid. Taping on the screen feels different like there’s nothing inside of that phone… the biggest surprise is the back of the phone. Please see the vid attached. Is this the reason why iPhone 15 is overheating?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
There isn't any issue with overheating. It was iOS17 causing the issues and it effected random devices of all series. Here's a 2022 SE with overheating issues:

What your hearing is the design change that allows the rear glass to be replaced inexpensively compared to your old 13. Your old phone couldn't have the rear glass replaced because it was underneath the fixed camera bezels. Either the phone was replaced or 3rd party repair facilities had to chip the glass off the back of the phone and replace it with a aftermarket piece of glass. This removed the water resistance and an out of warranty replacement from Apple without Applecare+ was expensive. The 14 (except pros) and now the entire 15 lineup have the serviceable back glass.

• Haha
Reactions: Andeddu and Qubelek

Qubelek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2024
There was an overheating issue in iPhone 15 pro and pro max. Macrumors was full of such topics in November. I’m surprised you’re not aware. Apple solved it via software update but now they work on better thermal design for iPhone 16 so it does not overheat again and they don’t have to slow its performance. I guess that’s what they did by the software update…

None of the 13 and 15 phones on the video have ever visited any service for back glass replacement… I ordered phones straight from Apple and I opened the boxes myself. So I really don’t understand why the new 15 feels empty inside ;D

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
There was an overheating issue in iPhone 15 pro and pro max. Macrumors was full of such topics in November. I’m surprised you’re not aware. Apple solved it via software update but now they work on better thermal design for iPhone 16 so it does not overheat again and they don’t have to slow its performance. I guess that’s what they did by the software update…

None of the 13 and 15 phones on the video have ever visited any service for back glass replacement… I ordered phones straight from Apple and I opened the boxes myself. So I really don’t understand why the new 15 feels empty inside ;D
I am aware and it was a software fix which means it was iOS17 causing it. My 15PM NEVER overheated once (even before the software fix) and there were plenty of complaints from 12-14 Pro and ProMax owners also all on iOS17 in those very threads you mentioned. 98% of devices weren't experiencing any overheating. A handful of threads from a vocal minority on this forum constitutes a small amount of effected devices. Plus any changes in the 16 is speculation at this point as nobody outside of Apple knows for sure what the final version will be like. The design of the chassis is the difference in the "echo" your bothered by.. I never said your devices had back glass replacements, I said the difference between the two chassis designs is the reason. Look up tear downs of both devices and you will see the difference in the way the chassis is designed..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.