Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
It's annoying, but it's necessary. If someone had your phone and access to the machine you're running iTunes on, all they'd have to do is create a new unencrypted backup of your phone and they'd have access to all of your data. That would be a design flaw.
This is precisely the point! I don't think it can be explained any better than this and I hope it makes it clear for the OP.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
How did this ever come about and how is it nothing has ever been done about it? iTunes entices you to turn on encrypted backups for your iPhone without any warning that there is NO way to recover your password if you forget it. Horrible but OK fine. Whatever. But how is it that there is NO way to just delete all your old backups and begin new backups without encryption? There is no way to ever turn encryption off without restoring factory settings to your iPhone. This has to be one of the biggest fails in Apple history.

iTunes does not entice you to run encrypted backups.

And I made sure this was off anyway before I backed up for the first time. There's noth8ng confidential on my phone anyway. It's all part of knowing what each setting does.

I suggest you become acquainted with what all the options are for all the settings...it's what part of being a responsible owner is about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
iTunes does not entice you to run encrypted backups.

And I trade sure this was off anyway before I backed up for the first time. There's noth8ng confidential on my phone anyway. It's all part of knowing what each setting does.

I suggest you become acquainted with what all the options are for all the settings...it's what part of being a responsible owner is about.

I am pretty sure there is no responsibility requirement to owning an iPhone. I can find a lot of proof from a quick internet search :)

As much as it sucks for the OP, this is a good design and is working as intended for data security.

Reactions: CarlJ

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I am pretty sure there is no responsibility requirement to owning an iPhone. I can find a lot of proof from a quick internet search :)

As much as it sucks for the OP, this is a good design and is working as intended for data security.

Responsibility isn't required before owning a phone...merely a good idea.

Reactions: CarlJ

meerkat1990

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2016
Romulus
This whole topic is why I never encrypt anything (except using a VPN for surfing). I've seen too many ppl forget boot passwords and password encrypt hard drives and then can't even use the computer or access data. Not worth it to me. I do have the find my device active so i can remote wipe it but other than that I don't want to risk it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If you are encrypting the backup, maybe set the password to match the unlock code.

Just a thought...

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
No it does not. Mine is off and was by default.

Can't you do a backup to iCloud and then reset the phone and restore from iCloud?
I just bought a refurb iPhone 6 Plus and the first time I plugged it in and did a backup it REQUIRED a password and did not give me an option. Was it supposed to? This is new to me. I have never used encrypted backups.

meerkat1990

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2016
Romulus
I just bought a refurb iPhone 6 Plus and the first time I plugged it in and did a backup it REQUIRED a password and did not give me an option. Was it supposed to? This is new to me. I have never used encrypted backups.
I don't recall it doing that until I added my work account and a new profile was added that required a lock code that had to be changed every so often.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I don't care about removing the encryption from the old backups, I want to be able to make NEW unencrypted backups.
Here's an issue I have with this. So let's say somebody obtains my iPhone and computer that I use to backup my iPhone using encrypted backups. If your scenario existed, they would in theory be able to backup my iPhone by disabling the encrypted backup then they could restore my backup on any new iPhone and then attempt to brute force my passcode until they can get into the device.

No thanks, let's leave it how it is and not forget the password.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
This whole topic is why I never encrypt anything (except using a VPN for surfing). I've seen too many ppl forget boot passwords and password encrypt hard drives and then can't even use the computer or access data. Not worth it to me. I do have the find my device active so i can remote wipe it but other than that I don't want to risk it.
Main benefit to encrypt the iTunes backup is to add the health data and the passwords.

It saves me a lot of work when I restore my phone or switch from an old phone to a new one. I have four email accounts and entering the password of each one twice, one for the incoming mail server and the other for the outgoing server becomes a chore. Also, as I said before, it allows you to backup your health data and port it to a new device as well.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Here's an issue I have with this. So let's say somebody obtains my iPhone and computer that I use to backup my iPhone using encrypted backups. If your scenario existed, they would in theory be able to backup my iPhone by disabling the encrypted backup then they could restore my backup on any new iPhone and then attempt to brute force my passcode until they can get into the device.

Actually, it's much simpler. The state (encrypted or not) is stored on the *phone*, not on the copy of iTunes. That's why you have to reset the phone to change the state, if you don't know the password.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Actually, it's much simpler. The state (encrypted or not) is stored on the *phone*, not on the copy of iTunes. That's why you have to reset the phone to change the state, if you don't know the password.
The person who I quoted, he/she wanted to be able to keep the old encrypted backups, but then disable encryption for new backups without knowing the password for the encrypted backup or without resetting the iPhone. If this was possible, then this would allow somebody who has physical access to my iPhone and computer to change the backup toggle from using encryption to no encryption (without entering a password), then take a full backup, then they could move that backup to a new iPhone and attempt to brute force the passcode until they could gain access to the iPhone.

Last edited:

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Not entirely true. I use a program called "iBackupBot" which allows one to edit backups and make changes and restore the edited backups to the IOS devices. In order to edit encrypted backups with iBackupBot, I have to enter the password, even when the IOS device is not connected. This tells me that the password also resides in the backup. However, when I want to make an unencrypted backup using iBackupBot, which it can independently from iTunes, then iBackupBot asks me to enter the password while the device is connected. This also tells me that the password also resides in the phone as well.

Last edited:

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
This is the best thread I have read lately. Thank you to all for a few good chuckles especially the OP. :)

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Not entirely true. I use a program called "iBackupBot" which allows one to edit backups and make changes and restore the edited backups to the IOS devices. In order to edit encrypted backups with iBackupBot, I have to enter the password, even when the IOS device is not connected. This tells me that the password also resides in the backup. However, when I want to make an unencrypted backup using iBackupBot, which it can independently from iTunes, then iBackupBot asks me to enter the password while the device is connected. This also tells me that the password also resides in the phone as well.
This only works for iOS 9 and earlier. Since iOS 10, iBackupBot cannot decrypt iTunes backups. It gives the error message:

"Can't load backup in <filename> Backup is encrypted. The encrypted backup of iOS 10 or later is not supported. You can make a new backup without password protected by iTunes then re-open iBackupBot."

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
All this further underscores how important it is to know what the options are before you do it.

The system is working the way it should...OP is the one who is responsible for his woes. No one else.

Not Apple's doing.

I wonder how many other people have enabled encryption and don't remember their password now. OP can't be the only one.

Reactions: timeconsumer

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
This only works for iOS 9 and earlier. Since iOS 10, iBackupBot cannot decrypt iTunes backups. It gives the error message:

"Can't load backup in <filename> Backup is encrypted. The encrypted backup of iOS 10 or later is not supported. You can make a new backup without password protected by iTunes then re-open iBackupBot."
That is correct. You have to work with unencrypted backups for IOS 10 and above. No problem, I remember my password to turn off the encryption.:)

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
To the OP (if he hasn't been chased away) I believe you can still do iCloud backups without needing your encryption password.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
How did this ever come about and how is it nothing has ever been done about it? iTunes entices you to turn on encrypted backups for your iPhone without any warning that there is NO way to recover your password if you forget it. Horrible but OK fine. Whatever. But how is it that there is NO way to just delete all your old backups and begin new backups without encryption? There is no way to ever turn encryption off without restoring factory settings to your iPhone. This has to be one of the biggest fails in Apple history.

It's amazing how little empathy people have for things like this . . . . . until it happens to them.
[doublepost=1500809304][/doublepost]
It's annoying, but it's necessary. If someone had your phone and access to the machine you're running iTunes on, all they'd have to do is create a new unencrypted backup of your phone and they'd have access to all of your data. That would be a design flaw.

I haven't used iTunes in ages so you might want to research this first, but I think that if you uninstall/reinstall iTunes it will allow you to re-do your backup settings.

It's overkill not to be able to turn off encrypted backups.

As you say they need access to my phone and have the password for my computer before they can switch off the encrypted backup.

I understand the need to be secure, but this is a step too far. Can't speak for the OP, but Apple really pushed encrypted backups a few years ago and I don't remember the warnings then being as explicit as they are now that if you forget your password, you can't turn it off.
[doublepost=1500809555][/doublepost]
And actually you can still restore from the encrypted backups using your unlock code for the phone instead of the password. But this still does not lead you to any way of removing the encryption or changing the password or settings.

Hello - if you are still on the forum . . . . what did you mean by this please?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
So if this happens to someone, they can make an iCloud backup, erase their phone, then restore from iCloud.

Then they can make sure to never encrypt local backups again.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Might be unfair if there was no workaround, but there is.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
So if this happens to someone, they can make an iCloud backup, erase their phone, then restore from iCloud.

Then they can make sure to never encrypt local backups again.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Might be unfair if there was no workaround, but there is.

Trouble is the iCloud backup doesn't include everything that an iTunes backup does, as I understand it anyway.

I use the Notes app for example and the backup does not include Notes.

Also I have a 128GB phone with over 100GB used - my existing encrypted iTunes backup is way over the iCloud 5GB free storage tier limit in size. (Just checked it's 18.3GB)

____

EDIT - just to elaborate a little further on why this happened to me and why I maintain that the way it is currently designed is overkill.

When Apple first introduced Encrypted Backups several years ago, they were heavily pushed - other forum members may not remember that, but they were. I didn't use them at first, but eventually gave in to the "nagging" by Apple to enable them.

When I look at the help pages now, there are huge warnings about not forgetting your password. I do not recall them being so explicit when I enabled the feature, as I'd like to think I'd have been more careful were that the case.

I can understand the importance from a restore point of view, but until now it hadn't registered with me that I can't even turn off the feature without the password.

I have not used that password once since I set it up so, in my opinion, it'd be a better system to have 2 passwords.

One password that is created when you enable encrypted backups that is solely used for the restoration of a backup. If you forget that, you can't restore - fair enough.

The option to turn the feature off, however, should be like all of the other secure areas of iTunes and be controlled by your AppleID password.

I'm less likely to forget that as, even in the days of TouchID, I still use that password more frequently.

Last edited:

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Might be missing something, but looks like there is nothing local backs up that can't be in iCloud. Also iCloud now has ability to store messages in ios11.

Filevault does allow a recovery key to be stored in iCloud, so guess that could work for iTunes as well.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Might be missing something, but looks like there is nothing local backs up that can't be in iCloud. Also iCloud now has ability to store messages in ios11.

Thank you for your replies on this, appreciated.

I've avoided using iCloud so far as pretty much every significant hack on Apple has come via iCloud - some would say this is me being over cautious but that's the way I feel.

Anyway, because of this I know little about the specifics of how it functions so on the page you have linked it says:

iCloud backups don't include:
  • Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Touch ID settings
  • iCloud Music Library and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or iBooks Store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)

So it says it doesn't include Contacts & Notes etc as they are separately sync'd to the cloud.

Can they also be restored from iCloud to the device separately as well then?

Photos I'm not worried about as I can just transfer them to my PC.

Apple Pay and TouchID settings I could reset again pretty quickly and easily.

Music and Apps I can restore via my iTunes library.

So (storage allowances aside) in summary, could I;

Backup what's allowed to iCloud, Erase my device, Reinstall iTunes, Recover from iCloud, Recover the Music and Apps from the iTunes library, Re-enable local backups and then delete my info from the cloud?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Actually a more apt analogy would be forgetting the combination on the safe and can't empty its contents anymore to use it again.

Not really because the analogy would just cover the fact that you can't restore from that backup.

Both the OP and I accept that, the thing we're struggling with is that Apple chose to use the same password to turn backup encryption off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.