Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I suspect the C line is going to be the new 4" line. This is what I expect to see this fall

IPhone 6C (5S internals with plastic shell) -$99
IPhone 6 4.7 - $199
iPhone 6 5.5 - $299

So the 4" will get updated regularly, but it'll always be a year behind with a cheaper shell. A bit disappointing but better than nothing. If this happens, I'm still sticking with 4". Being a year behind isn't a big deal anymore now that Apple CPUs are more than fast enough and I can get used to the 5C design.

They probably won't release 3 new phones.
It will be:

iPhone 5c - $0
iPhone 5s - $99
iPhone 6 4.7 - $199
iPhone 6 5.5 - $299

kdarling

macrumors P6
The kids and grandkids came to visit yesterday, and we got to talking about future iPhone sizes.

So we compared a Moto X that I have, to their iPhone 5Ss.

They were surprised to see that the 4.7" Moto was no bigger than their current iPhone in a case, and was easy to use one-handed.

However, they immediately pointed out that the Moto X was "almost all screen", whereas the iPhone had large top and bottom bezels.

Therein lies the rub. As others have pointed out, there might be no need to keep a 4" model, if the overall design was a bit different.

rayniac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Therein lies the rub. As others have pointed out, there might be no need to keep a 4" model, if the overall design was a bit different.

Absolutely - if they change the design they might not go that much bigger.
Other than that I do think it quite inevitable that there will be some increase in screen size - how much? Only Apple really knows, but it's fun to speculate ;)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The kids and grandkids came to visit yesterday, and we got to talking about future iPhone sizes.

So we compared a Moto X that I have, to their iPhone 5Ss.

They were surprised to see that the 4.7" Moto was no bigger than their current iPhone in a case, and was easy to use one-handed.

However, they immediately pointed out that the Moto X was "almost all screen", whereas the iPhone had large top and bottom bezels.

The only way to do that would be to lose the mechanical home button, and another thread here shows that people are very much against that for some strange reason.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Unfortunately the 5S doesn't have gobs of untapped RAM, and that will be its Achilles Heel. Apple took care of the built in obsolescence.

A lot of the rumors are pointing toward the 6 having 1 gb of RAM. Hopefully that rumor isn't true.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Wouldn't surprise me if the 5s sticks around a little longer and they repackage it in much the same way as the IP5 in a year or two..

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That would be a massive show stopper on so many levels that it just can't be true.

Never say never! Just hope it's not true. Watch the hands on from that Asian gentleman on YouTube.

While it could be fake blah blah the thing that surprises me is he goes on about how great it is then briefly skims overs 1gb RAM like it's nothing. I'd imagine if it was fake why not say what people want to believe? Just seemed odd too me.

I've done no research on it but maybe iOS 8 can utilize memory compression like it does in OSX?

All conjecture at this point.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Never say never! Just hope it's not true. Watch the hands on from that Asian gentleman on YouTube.

While it could be fake blah blah the thing that surprises me is he goes on about how great it is then briefly skims overs 1gb RAM like it's nothing. I'd imagine if it was fake why not say what people want to believe? Just seemed odd too me.

I've done no research on it but maybe iOS 8 can utilize memory compression like it does in OSX?

All conjecture at this point.

Indeed, until we know the actual spec it's not really worth debating. I definitely won't be buying any new iPhones which don't have at least 2GB of RAM though. Premium Android handsets are shipping with 3GB now, and I won't listen to the baloney that iOS doesn't need as much RAM. In my experience it does.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
No way does Apple remove the 4" form factor. They will most likely keep the 5C's design and update it with year old technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.