Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
I have a state employee discount on my iPhone, so instead of $80 a month, I play $71. There was a voicemail on my work phone today from an AT&T rep that said that the discount was being cancelled for iPhones ONLY and that I could come into a local AT&T store and turn in my iPhone for another phone if I wanted to continue to have the discount.

Now, this discount isn't a huge deal. It's $8.53 a month I believe. But it was a nice incentive, considering my last phone plan was $44 a month.

And it wouldn't be such a bitter, extra $100-a-year pill to swallow if I actually had 3G service in north central Massachusetts. I have Wi-Fi at home, but I'd love to access some data based features at work or on the road... and with Edge it's basically a waste of time.

Anyway, just venting a little frustration, and giving the heads-up to those who were thinking about getting the state-employee discount.

-Ben

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Are you referring to a FAN discount? I get 27% off and have not received such a call. Maybe your company is not participating anymore. who know.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Any chance a buddy at work is playing a joke on you? Just a thought.

I also have a FAN discount and just like you, I would be very unhappy if it was removed/unavail on the iphone.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Are you referring to a FAN discount? I get 27% off and have not received such a call. Maybe your company is not participating anymore. who know.
I believe it's similar to a FAN discount.

I recall that I had to go into a specific AT&T website for the discount, they emailed me at my state email address, and clicked a link and was verified to receive the discount which took effect after about 2 billing cycles. And for us, it was a 12% discount.

I'd understand what you're saying re: my 'company' (the State) not participating, but they clearly still are as AT&T said that the cancellation of the discount applies to iPhones ONLY. And if I turned in my iPhone, then I'd continue to receive the discount with a different phone.

Additionally, it's no joke. In a weird bit of synchronicity, a friend of mine is on maternity leave and she was checking out iPhones at the AT&T store. In there they gave her the guidelines, and clearly stated that there is NO state employee discount for iPhones! She emailed me last night to see if it was true, because she knows that I get the discount... I checked my last bill and the discount was there. And then in this odd twist, I get to work and the message from AT&T is on my work phone explaining the cancellation of the discount!

-Ben

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
... and as a little update, she is now not buying an iPhone and is sticking with her whatever phone & Verizon. It was already stretch for her to pay for an iPhone even with the discount, but now with no discount, that sealed the deal. Nice one, AT&T - you loose.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
... and as a little update, she is now not buying an iPhone and is sticking with her whatever phone & Verizon. It was already stretch for her to pay for an iPhone even with the discount, but now with no discount, that sealed the deal. Nice one, AT&T - you loose.

That's not AT&T's problem, that's the state's problem. They can specify which phones get the discount and which ones don't. There are many people receiving FAN discounts with the iPhone.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
That's not AT&T's problem, that's the state's problem. They can specify which phones get the discount and which ones don't. There are many people receiving FAN discounts with the iPhone.
AH - finally, a little clarification. And obviously I know there are many people receiving FAN discounts with the iPhone; this was a very specific issue as was outlined in my original post.

And yes, it is AT&T's problem; I think what you meant to say is that it isn't AT&T's fault. While the State may have been the catalyst, AT&T did loose a potential new customer who was actually almost at the point of buying one last night in the store. AT&T didn't create the problem, or explain the issue, but they do have to deal with the fallout (as limited as it may be).

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

They are not going to lose. They stopped the discount because they were losing. They are smarter than you think. :cool:

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
They are not going to lose. They stopped the discount because they were losing. They are smarter than you think. :cool:
Oh, I know the State is not going to loose. Obviously, they'll be saving money, so I'm actually happy about that. In fact, I'd be fine with Massachusetts cancelling ALL discounts with AT&T, Verizon, etc. given the economic situation we're in.

But I think you were referring to AT&T as I was, and AT&T did loose a potential, serious customer. As I said, the fallout will be limited (if any) though. AT&T will get paid the same amount from their customers, it just won't be subsidized. And there's at least one person I know of who isn't moving over to AT&T now. The lack of discount will not entice any new customers, may dissuade very few, and AT&T doesn't make any more money because of the lack of discount. So, net loss, AT&T, even if small.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Oh, I know the State is not going to loose. Obviously, they'll be saving money, so I'm actually happy about that. In fact, I'd be fine with Massachusetts cancelling ALL discounts with AT&T, Verizon, etc. given the economic situation we're in.

But I think you were referring to AT&T as I was, and AT&T did loose a potential, serious customer. As I said, the fallout will be limited (if any) though. AT&T will get paid the same amount from their customers, it just won't be subsidized. And there's at least one person I know of who isn't moving over to AT&T now. The lack of discount will not entice any new customers, may dissuade very few, and AT&T doesn't make any more money because of the lack of discount. So, net loss, AT&T, even if small.

Before I got the FAN discount for my iPhone's service I asked my company's rep if it would cost the company ANY money if I signed up for it, they said no, it would not cost the company anything, its a benefit/incentive that AT&T provides for its biz customers. The phones with FAN discounts are not subsidized by the companies, though YMMV.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Before I got the FAN discount for my iPhone's service I asked my company's rep if it would cost the company ANY money if I signed up for it, they said no, it would not cost the company anything, its a benefit/incentive that AT&T provides for its biz customers. The phones with FAN discounts are not subsidized by the companies, though YMMV.
One more piece of information in the mix!
Thanks HH...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Considering the amount of complaining you've done over losing the FAN on your iPhone, I find that hard to believe. In any case, the state doesn't lose nor gain any money either way.

But I think you were referring to AT&T as I was, and AT&T did loose a potential, serious customer.

AT&T made a calculated business decision that weighs the number of customers your state brings in under their FAN, how many of those customers are iPhone users, and how much money they would gain removing the discount vs how much money they would lose by people leaving or not signing up. Clearly, they felt it was worth the risk of losing that potential, serious customer.

The lack of discount will not entice any new customers,

Again, if AT&T felt that were the case, they would've kept the discount.

Not that I *want* you to lose your discount. I have a FAN as well, it (thankfully) still applies to the iPhone, and I'd probably be just as annoyed if I lost it. But it's not very productive to delude oneself into thinking this is causing them some huge hurt.

(and yeah, I'd still keep my iPhone if I lost my discount).

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Considering the amount of complaining you've done over losing the FAN on your iPhone, I find that hard to believe. In any case, the state doesn't lose nor gain any money either way.
I mean this with all due respect - read the posts in this thread. You'll see that my original impression was that AT&T cancelled it. When someone suggested that it may have been the State that cancelled it, then I thought - well, I'm fine with THAT. I've seen people get laid off all around me, and believe me, if the State can save some money and it only impacts me for $8.53 a month, then I'm fine with that. I know the thread is a bit convoluted because several ideas were thrown out there, but if you read, you'll see where I was coming from.
Not that I *want* you to lose your discount. I have a FAN as well, it (thankfully) still applies to the iPhone, and I'd probably be just as annoyed if I lost it. But it's not very productive to delude oneself into thinking this is causing them some huge hurt.
(and yeah, I'd still keep my iPhone if I lost my discount).
I'm not trying to delude myself - I'm keeping the iPhone, and being 35 and seeing much of the way business is run over the past 22 years of working, I know that companies (and governments) are run according to the bottom line in the overwhelming majority of instances. And please note, again, if you read the posts in this thread (and I'll quote myself):
"As I said, the fallout will be limited (if any) though."
I hardly think that's me making a case for a "huge hurt" as you put it. This isn't a long thread to read!

And back to the point of this thread:

"Anyway, just venting a little frustration, and giving the heads-up to those who were thinking about getting the state-employee discount."

-Ben

Ben C.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Ben, was it actually a FAN account you had or some other discount?
It's being listed as an "AT&T Sponsorship Program" through "AT&T Premier"...

Here's some of the copy:

"To enroll your account in the AT&T Sponsorship Program to take advantage of corporate discounts and other benefits, you may be charged a $36 Sponsorship Fee for each line of service under your account. Benefits are provided solely as a result of the business agreement between AT&T and your organization and are subject to change and/or discontinuation without notice to you. A two year service agreement may be required. A minimum number of employees, minimum monthly service charge for qualified plans, or other requirements may apply for discount eligibility. Other conditions and restrictions apply. If you have a question about your eligibility, please contact your organization's benefits coordinator or telecommunications manager. "

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
It's being listed as an "AT&T Sponsorship Program" through "AT&T Premier"...

Here's some of the copy:

"To enroll your account in the AT&T Sponsorship Program to take advantage of corporate discounts and other benefits, you may be charged a $36 Sponsorship Fee for each line of service under your account. Benefits are provided solely as a result of the business agreement between AT&T and your organization and are subject to change and/or discontinuation without notice to you. A two year service agreement may be required. A minimum number of employees, minimum monthly service charge for qualified plans, or other requirements may apply for discount eligibility. Other conditions and restrictions apply. If you have a question about your eligibility, please contact your organization's benefits coordinator or telecommunications manager. "

That does not sound like a FAN account to me. Not that i'm familar with the policy but it sounds different.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
That's not a FAN. At&t gives special "sponsorship" programs instead of a FAN when a 100% switch isn't likely. I'd bet your state was offered a FAN if all phones were on at&t, but they declined, so the sponsorship comes into play. Less discounts than a FAN, but still a discounted price.

Edit: I didn't read it right the first time, i thought we were talking work phones here, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.