Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
It appears February 6, 2007 was the assessment by Cetecom, the testing facility. No where does it say FCC approval - unless I'm missing something. After the testing facility does their work and forwards results, the FCC still needs to review the tests and methods and grant final approval - 5/17/2007.

It does take several months.

Very slow readers then, maybe they get payed by the hour.

I would think they have a program where they just enter all the numbers from the tester that gives them some output for a final decision.

Weird it takes 3 months to make a decision specialy if the numbers are well within the allowed ranges.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
The units are Watts/kilogram. That is the amount of Watts absorbed per kilogram of body tissue. The size or weight of the phone doesn't have anything to do with the measurement.

Someone else mentioned that they'd rather have a better signal than a low SAR. The SAR level doesn't really correlate with signal level, it's just how much radiation is being absorbed by the body immediately adjacent to where you're holding the phone. It has more to do with placement of the internal antenna and the design of the phone.

Still though, ceteris paribus, stronger signal = more radiation. Some phones are designed to use less power/emit less radiation, but care nothing for signal strength. Others are designed for better signal strength by boosting the power use of the antenna, which results in shorter battery life and more radiation emission.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Very slow readers then, maybe they get payed by the hour.

I would think they have a program where they just enter all the numbers from the tester that gives them some output for a final decision.

Weird it takes 3 months to make a decision specialy if the numbers are well within the allowed ranges.

2 months or so...the testing facility conducted their tests in early February. Apple put the whole application package together and submitted it to the FCC in early March. Frankly, I'm surprised it got through the bureaucratic red tape so quickly.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
... No doubt this has already been raised!!!

But why the FLIP has this news item received negative votes!!!???!!! :confused:

Maybe because some people do not care? I think a "I don't care" voting link may get of the negatives. This maybe the cause, but it is just a guess on my part.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
According to part one page 29 they test for GSM and GPRS radio of 850/1900. Does the iPhone A1203 only support two bands? Does anyone know or have a linkt to the GSM Bands the iPhone supports, I always assumed it was going to be quadband, now it looks like it might not. If this is the case, bad move Apple, really bad move.

No I think its quad band but its not to FCC to approve or disapprove frequencies not use in US.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Reading the emails from Apple & the FCC, it looks like for whatever reason Apple specifically requested the approval be made public on May 17th, as close to noon as possible. Also, the FCC is requesting Apple provide a user manual available to the public, or so I gather from this email..

To: Robert Steinfeld, Apple Inc.
steinfe1@apple.com
Steven.Dayhoff@fcc.gov
FCC Equipment Authorization Branch
Applicant: Apple Computer Inc
FCC ID: BCGA1203
Correspondence Reference Number: 32892
731 Confirmation Number: EA378848
Date of Original E-Mail: 4/13/2007
Subject: Info Request
The User Manual exhibit is password protected and cannot be viewed. Please submit viewable User Manual exhibit.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
No I think its quad band but its not to FCC to approve or disapprove frequencies not use in US.

Correct, it is quad band. Steve even said it in his presentation :) The FCC is not responsibly for testing bands that are non-existent in the US. I'm sure they don't fly over to Europe to test those bands :p

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
according to http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html it's a QUAD Band phone.

iPhoneSpecs.jpg

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
According to part one page 29 they test for GSM and GPRS radio of 850/1900. Does the iPhone A1203 only support two bands? Does anyone know or have a linkt to the GSM Bands the iPhone supports, I always assumed it was going to be quadband, now it looks like it might not. If this is the case, bad move Apple, really bad move.

If it's only two bands that's news, since the Apple site itself says quad band. Maybe it is quad band but they only did FCC tests on the two bands that will be used in the USA, the FCC's jurisdiction.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
There goes WWDC

Shoot... there goes the WWDC now..... It will probably be entirely focused on the iPhone and maybe just a couple of minutes spared to Leopard and other macs.....

(I really hope that I am wrong, as I am waiting for some new MBP on WWDC)

Retired
May 16, 2006
Shoot... there goes the WWDC now..... It will probably be entirely focused on the iPhone and maybe just a couple of minutes spared to Leopard and other macs.....

(I really hope that I am wrong, as I am waiting for some new MBP on WWDC)

Steve has to show off Leopard's new features :)

And a lot of the hardware (iPods, displays, MBPs etc) are due for a refresh...

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I hope cingular gives you the unlock code to the iphone assuming it has one. Lets see how it goes or else quad band will be useless.

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
pacemaker

Did they test it to see if it stops pacemakers like that silly 17 year old did with the ipod story? Boy was that lame.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I hope cingular gives you the unlock code to the iphone assuming it has one. Lets see how it goes or else quad band will be useless.

It will be useful if you travel outside the country to Europe, Asia, etc... Cingular has International Roaming packages where if you travel outside the country your able to use your QUAD band phone at a discounted rate depending on what country you travel to. The International Roaming package is $5.99 a month and per min rate depends on what country you’re roaming on.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I guess this means they could release it to anyone right now - so I wait to see Celebrities getting their advanced units to generate even more buzz.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I just hope the radiation levels are really low and don't shoot up the ear phones when attached.

It will be one of those things everyone will attack Apple for--just like the CPU usage when iTunes first came out. Sure, it's a total double standard, but I don't care since this is a safety issue, and I hope Apple took it seriously.

I do worry about the quality of Apple of late. (I think mostly it is the Chinese manufacturers cutting costs.) But for the iPhone, I think it is so important to Apple that the first gen will be high quality.

Fingers crossed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.