Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfkaplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I've only had this happen a few times, but it does worry me. I'll be walking down the street and notice that my pocket feels a bit warm. I check the iphone and it's running warm and the battery is mostly drained. I'm worried about both symptoms, as I don't want the thing to get damaged and I don't want it to run out of juice just when I need it most.

All extra stuff is turned off when this happens (3g, bluetooth, wifi, etc.) except for location services. Does location services take up that much in the way of resources?

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I've only had this happen a few times, but it does worry me. I'll be walking down the street and notice that my pocket feels a bit warm. I check the iphone and it's running warm and the battery is mostly drained. I'm worried about both symptoms, as I don't want the thing to get damaged and I don't want it to run out of juice just when I need it most.

All extra stuff is turned off when this happens (3g, bluetooth, wifi, etc.) except for location services. Does location services take up that much in the way of resources?

get a freakin replacement. this heat thing you speak off is not normal. i use my iphone 24/7 and it still stays the same temperature.

and i live in arizona...

Koolio27

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Somerville, MA (Boston)
I've heard that sometimes 3rd party apps don't actually shutdown when you exit the application. Thus, it's still running and using the phone's resources. The warmth you're experiencing is the tell tale sign of this occurring (again, from what an Apple Store employee told me). If this happens, do a soft reset (holding down Home button and the on/off button until the phone reboots).

Now, if this is happening often then I'd take it in for service/replacement.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I've heard that sometimes 3rd party apps don't actually shutdown when you exit the application. Thus, it's still running and using the phone's resources. The warmth you're experiencing is the tell tale sign of this occurring (again, from what an Apple Store employee told me). If this happens, do a soft reset (holding down Home button and the on/off button until the phone reboots).

Now, if this is happening often then I'd take it in for service/replacement.

How do developers get around the block that apple has in the SDK? I heard that background processes weren't allowed...

chomby1991

macrumors member
Im not sure if its the same problem as with the 1st gen phones but it happened once on my first gen one but i hard reseted it (hold home and power) it never happened again. if you can go to apple and get replacement since it has happened more than once and is a software fault but yeah as far as i know its random not so much to do with the actual phone but the processes it is using. would be interesting to find out what the actual app or process doing it is

jcromer78

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
Its happened to me with both generations...

I had this issue with the original iPhone and now the 3G as well. It definitely seems to be software related and if you can catch it in time and reset the phone it seems to stop the battery drain. I have not been able to determine what is causing the issue, but I don't think it's the new 3rd party apps from the app store because it also happened with the original phone. Im guessing that'sn its some sort of memory leak or hung process that does not terminate when closed. I would have been more worried if it was just a 3G issue, yet it is still disconcerting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.