Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
When will it come out? Will it come with the iPhone XR / iPhone 11 body?

As a person that can't use LED screens due to head aches caused by PWM, I am looking forward to the 4th Gen SE and hope my iPhone 11 can last till then.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think the iPhone SE4 will be released in March 2024 with the iPhone 11 chassis. It’ll probably have a nice LCD screen as it’s a budget level iPhone and the most up-to-date Face ID by then. I wouldn’t be surprised if they implemented Touch ID into the screen however it seems that Apple are stubbornly pushing Face ID whether we like it or not. I also reckon MagSafe compatibility will be implemented to the next SE.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Timing will probably depend on how SE3 sales perform. I have no doubt it will use iPhone XR/11 chassis with sub-6” LCD. Face ID is relatively expensive so power button Touch ID makes the most sense.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Timing will probably depend on how SE3 sales perform. I have no doubt it will use iPhone XR/11 chassis with sub-6” LCD. Face ID is relatively expensive so power button Touch ID makes the most sense.

Same as XR then who will buy IP 14-20? LOL no way.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Probably anyone who wants more than 1 rear camera lens and a display larger than 6".

IP 11-999 has same screen size as XR.

SE must be totally behind IP 11-999 to be much cheaper

Much smaller screen
Low grade monitor
Touch ID
Large bezel
One camera
No night mode

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
IP 11-999 has same screen size as XR.

SE must be totally behind IP 11-999 to be much cheaper

Much smaller screen
Low grade monitor
Touch ID
Large bezel
One camera
No night mode

Apple obviously won't use the 6.1" display from XR/11. That's why credible rumors indicate Apple will use 5.7" on SE4. The chassis will be XR/11 however.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Apple obviously won't use the 6.1" display from XR/11. That's why credible rumors indicate Apple will use 5.7" on SE4. The chassis will be XR/11 however.

30% of SE ship to Japan and they somehow like small phone, They may change to mini size but not 5.7” for sure.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
A 5.7" screen in a iPhone XR/11 body will mean top and bottom bezels again. Are you sure?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
A 5.7" screen in a iPhone XR/11 body will mean top and bottom bezels again. Are you sure?

It will be necessary to avoid cannibalization of other iPhone models.

If SE4 uses power button Touch ID, it won't have a notch or even a punch hole. This thin bezel design would directly compete with the premium models. A 5.7" display with bezels is the only option that makes sense.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I wonder if the power button TouchID would be any cheaper. Both iPad mini 6 and iPhone 11 are $499.

Also, if the current design rumors for the iPhone 14 and 15 pan out, the notch will probably be passé by 2024 and pill-shaped cutout/pinhole will be the new "in" thing. That will provide cosmetic differentiation between the mainstream iPhone and Pro series from the next SE even if the latter does get FaceID.

It will be necessary to avoid cannibalization of other iPhone models.

If SE4 uses power button Touch ID, it won't have a notch or even a punch hole. This thin bezel design would directly compete with the premium models. A 5.7" display with bezels is the only option that makes sense.

I wonder if Apple might revive the 5.8" iPhone X/Xs/11 Pro chassis and make it the small and "cheap" iPhone.

Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I wonder if the power button TouchID would be any cheaper. Both iPad mini 6 and iPhone 11 are $499.

Also, if the current design rumors for the iPhone 14 and 15 pan out, the notch will probably be passé by 2024 and pill-shaped cutout/pinhole will be the new "in" thing. That will provide cosmetic differentiation between the mainstream iPhone and Pro series from the next SE even if the latter does get FaceID.

I wonder if Apple might revive the 5.8" iPhone X/Xs/11 Pro chassis and make it the small and "cheap" iPhone.

I have no doubt Touch ID is cheaper because iPad mini with cellular is $649. The TrueDepth camera system is relatively expensive not to mention it lowers LCD yields due to the required notch cut.

iPhone SE3 uses a 7MP front camera from iPhone 7. I can't see Apple suddenly going all out to a TrueDepth module for SE4 simply due to cost.

I feel the 5.8-inch form factor will be dead for so many years (and in terms of tooling) by the time SE4 comes out, it doesn't make sense to use it. Something small doesn't necessarily mean cheap. That 5.8-inch form factor requires an expensive stacked logic board and L-shaped battery, while the XR/11 doesn't.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I have no doubt Touch ID is cheaper because iPad mini with cellular is $649. The TrueDepth camera system is relatively expensive not to mention it lowers LCD yields due to the required notch cut.

iPhone SE3 uses a 7MP front camera from iPhone 7. I can't see Apple suddenly going all out to a TrueDepth module for SE4 simply due to cost.

I feel the 5.8-inch form factor will be dead for so many years (and in terms of tooling) by the time SE4 comes out, it doesn't make sense to use it. Something small doesn't necessarily mean cheap. That 5.8-inch form factor requires an expensive stacked logic board and L-shaped battery, while the XR/11 doesn't.
Well Tim Cook said himself at the announcement on March 8th, that the SE is for those who like small iPhones, so it appears this is Apples model for the SE, small iPhones, so by extension the 5.8 X,XS and 11 Pro chassis is the next one up. It will obviously require re tooling to replace Face I’d with Touch I’d, SS for Aluminium frame etc , unless by then Face ID components are cheap enough for the SE bill of materials.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well Tim Cook said himself at the announcement on March 8th, that the SE is for those who like small iPhones, so it appears this is Apples model for the SE, small iPhones, so by extension the 5.8 X,XS and 11 Pro chassis is the next one up. It will obviously require re tooling to replace Face I’d with Touch I’d, SS for Aluminium frame etc , unless by then Face ID components are cheap enough for the SE bill of materials.

The SE will capture those who want a small phone, but based on Apple's own marketing, the primary positioning is price and affordability. When Apple has to boil down their marketing message, it becomes clear who they're after.

The expensive stacked logic board and L-shaped battery are requisites for reasonable battery life. The work to redesign the chassis to remove those features, remove Face ID, remove camera lens, change to aluminum, thicken the chassis (due to thicker LCD), etc. That is effectively a brand new iPhone. Power button Touch ID is virtually a drop in component.

Cupertino, California - Apple today announced iPhone SE, a powerful new iPhone in an iconic design, with exceptional capabilities and performance at an incredible price.
1648071628344.png

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Imo the mini form factor is the perfect next SE. We probably won't see any new SE until 2024. By then, the 12 mini would've been discontinued and the 13 mini at the cheapest point. So an SE4 with mini form factor, LCD screen and TouchID seems highly feasible at that point in time. The flat edge would allow better/easier retooling to fit TouchID on the power button.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Imo the mini form factor is the perfect next SE. We probably won't see any new SE until 2024. By then, the 12 mini would've been discontinued and the 13 mini at the cheapest point. So an SE4 with mini form factor, LCD screen and TouchID seems highly feasible at that point in time. The flat edge would allow better/easier retooling to fit TouchID on the power button.

I don’t know if they’d use the up-to-date modern design and completely skip the iPhone 11 chassis, something like that could easily cannibalise sales from their flagships. I wouldn’t get an iPhone 16 if all they offered was the regular and max sizes and would prefer to opt for the SE Mini instead.

I hope you’re right though because it would be sad to see Apple ditch their small phone line.

If the iPhone 14 is going to use the same A15 chip as the 13, I can see why they would not create a new Mini… it would be the exact same phone as the current model minus a slightly smaller forehead and no camera bump.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don’t know if they’d use the up-to-date modern design and completely skip the iPhone 11 chassis, something like that could easily cannibalise sales from their flagships. I wouldn’t get an iPhone 16 if all they offered was the regular and max sizes and would prefer to opt for the SE Mini instead.

I hope you’re right though because it would be sad to see Apple ditch their small phone line.

If the iPhone 14 is going to use the same A15 chip as the 13, I can see why they would not create a new Mini… it would be the exact same phone as the current model minus a slightly smaller forehead and no camera bump.
Higher tier iphones would still have a selling point, aka OLED screen, FaceID, multiple cameras, etc.

Of course, Apple could simply use the iphone 8 case for years to come. I mean how long they are selling the old ipad design? :D

Reactions: LFC2020

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I would say SE looking would not change for many years just like basic iPad, this is the way to minimum the production cost and good marketing strategy to separate basic iPhone looking from premium iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.