Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Can I see and get some pics and/or impressions from new SE owners? I'm anxious for mine to arrive between April 27-May 2. For reference, I'm upgrading from a 4S.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Well I finally got my phone and I absolutely adore this thing. It's very fast. The front-facing camera isn't even bad at all. It actually takes great pictures still. The back camera is fantastic, of course and I love that I can shoot 4K with such a small device. Although this phone is using the same "body" as the 5S, there are noticeable changes that make it look a little nicer. They are definitely subtle changes, but noticeable. The fingerprint sensor is deeper into the casing than my 5S is. That was the very first thing I noticed. The chamfered edges are matte instead of shiny.

Unlike my other phones, I put a screen protector on it the moment it came out of the box and it went right into a case. I'm also using a Caseco Core 360 magnetic car mount and that turned out to be pretty awesome as well.

I'm much more inclined to take pics and videos now that I'm not lugging around a 5.7" phone. That thing hurt my hand just to talk on the phone. This phone is perfect. I haven't been this excited about a phone in ages. I don't have the yellow screen tint issue or the noisy button issues either.

Overall, I'm very happy with this so far.

Last edited:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Can I see and get some pics and/or impressions from new SE owners? I'm anxious for mine to arrive between April 27-May 2. For reference, I'm upgrading from a 4S.
I made exactly the same upgrade, and I have to say I'm very happy with my new phone. One of the greatest benefits that I'm noticing is just how fast it is. After years on a 4S you will most certainly notice how quickly Apps open and the ease of attaching images to messages and emails once again.

I own an a real camera (Nikon) which I use if I want a really good shot, but the iPhone will be replacing my compact Nikon as my snapshot camera. Previously I would often reach for my 4S and then promptly delete photos as their quality just wasn't up to scratch, photos taken with my SE now at least have a fighting chance of making it in to my library.

I don't play games on my iPhone, so for that sort of thing you'll have to gauge someone else opinion.

When all said and done, you will have zero regrets coming from a 4s to the SE.

Reactions: asleep

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I have used the Apple case on my 5S and SE ... classy, great fit, wears well ....

Do you use any third-party Lightning cables, or just Apple-brand cables? I'm particularly interested in whether the AmazonBasics Lightning cable will fit inside the space for the Lightning connector with the case.

I made exactly the same upgrade, and I have to say I'm very happy with my new phone. One of the greatest benefits that I'm noticing is just how fast it is. After years on a 4S you will most certainly notice how quickly Apps open and the ease of attaching images to messages and emails once again.

I own an a real camera (Nikon) which I use if I want a really good shot, but the iPhone will be replacing my compact Nikon as my snapshot camera. Previously I would often reach for my 4S and then promptly delete photos as their quality just wasn't up to scratch, photos taken with my SE now at least have a fighting chance of making it in to my library.

I don't play games on my iPhone, so for that sort of thing you'll have to gauge someone else opinion.

When all said and done, you will have zero regrets coming from a 4s to the SE.

I don't use a professional camera, and I don't play any games on my iPhone.
The camera on the 4S could always be better, especially low-light performance, and the front-facing camera is just beyond horrible.

Where I really feel it, however, is the processor and the RAM. I've had times where I've been listening to music on a Bluetooth speaker and using a very light website in Safari, and the music has simply cut out (and Music.app freeze in the background then) because (I'm assuming) the phone ran out of memory.

Another example: I can't even keep two tabs open in Safari. When I switch to a second tab and then switch back, even if right away, the first tab always has to reload. It's frustrating.

At least it took (literally) one minute to order my new phone.

Last edited:

neonfan96

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2016
Unboxing photos? Initial impressions in awhile?
Tried to make an unboxing video but pretty much got ruined since i didn't have a sim at the time so i couldnt set it up or anything. I like it so far, no yellow screen, but the power button is a bit rattely

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Tried to make an unboxing video but pretty much got ruined since i didn't have a sim at the time so i couldnt set it up or anything. I like it so far, no yellow screen, but the power button is a bit rattely
I wouldn't accept a rattling power button, what's going to happen 90 days later if it starts to get loose over time then Apple won't cover anything with no Apple care. A brand new phone should not be rattling anywhere. It's a risk I wouldn't want to take.

Last edited:

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013

It's fine. What are your impressions of iOS on the SE (as well as the hardware and build; what color did you get?), compared to the iPhone you had before? (Assuming you had an iPhone before; what phone did you have before?)

I don't want to ask to ask too much, but would you mind showing some photos of the hardware? Maybe an image or two from the camera on the SE itself?

I'm sorry, I've said too much.

I would accept a rattling power button, what's going to happen 90 days later if it starts to get loose over time then Apple won't cover anything with no Apple care. A brand new phone should not be rattling anywhere. It's a risk I wouldn't want to take.

You have 60 days from the purchase of the phone to purchase AppleCare. 90 days is the period of phone support normally.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Online, there's a 3-4 week wait in Australia.

I walked into a department store in Melbourne, and walked out with a 64 GB Rose Gold (aka: pink) model in 5 minutes. :)

It's a huge adjustment coming from the Nexus 5X and its 5'2" screen!!

C.O.T

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
Corrected my post above. I meant I wouldn't accept a rattling power button.
You are right. People will say to forget about little rattles but they are not meant to there and I have had a supervisor from apple support clarify this. It's unacceptable from a €500/600 phone

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
once again, try Costco on line (you don't need to be a member) ... I got my silver 64GB delivered in 48 hours ... and they restock frequently

unfortunately the one im looking for is out right now but thanks for giving me a new source to check!

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
I wouldn't accept a rattling power button, what's going to happen 90 days later if it starts to get loose over time then Apple won't cover anything with no Apple care. A brand new phone should not be rattling anywhere. It's a risk I wouldn't want to take.

While I am not saying that I would accept a defected phone, but you know that Apple has a one year warranty on their products without apple care, right?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
if you use the warranty after 2 weeks do you get a refurbished phone or a new one?
The first one i ordered had a scratch on the screen, I told Apple and they sent me a new one. In the first 14 days you can return your phone to Apple. So essentially you could keep doing that an ordering a new one until you're happy with your phone.

Of course, Apple may eventually pull the plug on you if you abuse the system too much.

C.O.T

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
The first one i ordered had a scratch on the screen, I told Apple and they sent me a new one. In the first 14 days you can return your phone to Apple. So essentially you could keep doing that an ordering a new one until you're happy with your phone.

Of course, Apple may eventually pull the plug on you if you abuse the system too much.
I have always wondered what happens to the phones that people send back??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.