Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Dropped by the apple store to get and get the SE, but they're sold out. Every store in Sydney is apparently.

I guess there's been more demand than anticipated?

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Just checked in the UK for all the Apple stores around me, yesterday they were all available for pickup, not today all showing unavailable and online order shipments are going to the 21st April for 64GB space grey.

Unless people see a giant queue they think its a flop now but they forget you can just reserve and collect online now, so the need to queue has long gone.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
The Canberra store is also all out. Was told in store reservation made today would be two weeks out.

jimi232

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Sold out in Melbourne too. Couldn't give me a date they would be in stock. I would order one online for pickup, but i want to trade in my 5 in store when i get the SE which doesn't seem possible when ordering online

stopcryingmaxap

Suspended
Apr 1, 2016
Dropped by the apple store to get and get the SE, but they're sold out. Every store in Sydney is apparently.

Went to apple store today... all sold out, as well as harvey norman, jb hi fi , office works, then I went upstairs to Myers, and I got ONE !!! there was no body lol. Don;t have to wait to order it online
[doublepost=1459504456][/doublepost]

It's a false demand to make people think that the new Iphone SE is getting sold out, you can also see why the shipping dates is pushed way back, to create hype that this new phone is good, and luring more people to buy it. simple business strategy

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I absolutely doubt it. There is no benefit to Apple "creating false demand", because a significant amount of iProduct sales occur in the first couple of months of release. There is no business sense.

Do you think anyone cares and thinks "Ooh, the new iPhone SE is sold out. Maybe I should buy one?" No. But do people think "The new iPhone SE is sold out, maybe I'll get an Android instead because I really want a new phone and don't want to wait 2 weeks?"

Yeah. By the way the average Apple product sits in a warehouse or store for ~9 days. That's incredible supply chain efficiency. You can't achieve that by creating artificial demand.

I'm going to be calling a few stores (jb hifi, myer, etc) to see if they have the SE in stock. Perhaps I'll get one. Otherwise I plan on visiting the apple store once a week from now on.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's a false demand to make people think that the new Iphone SE is getting sold out, you can also see why the shipping dates is pushed way back, to create hype that this new phone is good, and luring more people to buy it. simple business strategy

Apple could be accused of a lot of things but holding back stock to create demand is not one of them.

Business strategy? LOL!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Apple could be accused of a lot of things but holding back stock to create demand is not one of them.

Business strategy? LOL!

Eh I wouldn't be surprised if they did do this. That being said I don't think they are with the SE. A lot of people like the former factor and it fulfils that desire with basically an iPhone 6s in an iPhone 5 body give and take a few items missing.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

...not today all showing unavailable and online order shipments are going to the 21st April for 64GB space grey...

The Canberra store is also all out...

Sold out in Melbourne too. Couldn't give me a date they would be in stock.

Went to apple store today... all sold out, as well as harvey norman, jb hi fi , office works...

Wow, that's a bit surprising.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I think what's more likely is that they produced a conservative amount of the SE, in order to gauge demand.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Over here in the Us - any Apple Store writhing like 200 miles of me says unavailable also

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Eh I wouldn't be surprised if they did do this. That being said I don't think they are with the SE. A lot of people like the former factor and it fulfils that desire with basically an iPhone 6s in an iPhone 5 body give and take a few items missing.

I think it is more like your city got very few devices to sell. That could be Apple or the carrier that picked how many devices to send to your location. They maybe will get more the next day.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think it is more like your city got very few devices to sell. That could be Apple or the carrier that picked how many devices to send to your location. They maybe will get more the next day.

I live in a major city (atlanta). I would be shocked if they were given low supply. I think the demand was higher than apple anticipated.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I live in a major city (atlanta). I would be shocked if they were given low supply. I think the demand was higher than apple anticipated.

Demand was higher as they ran out. My local Apple store still has them in stock and there was no line this morning. I purchased the smart case and cover for the iPad Pro and they said they still had a generous selection or both colors and capacity for the SE.

I am glad to see this demand as it means Apple will do good with the SE.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I just reserved the "last iPhone SE" in Myer in Sydney. Not my colour preference (id like white to switch it up, space grey back isn't my style) but that's ok.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Do I want the device? No I don't care for it. As I said I wouldn't be shocked if Apple did a such thing. I am far from Apple biased as well.....

Mainiac

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Maine
I would guess it's a case of Apple not manufacturing in large quantities to the extent they weren't sure how the demand would be. Obviously it's not equal to the demand of a normal yearly iPhone launch. They were probably hedging their bet and got caught with more demand than they anticipated.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
FYI my Apple store told me they receive shipments daily in the morning including on weekends. So if you want a device the best way is to go there around their opening, if you do that tomorrow you should get the colour and size of your choice. I settled for a 16gb of my preferred color.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
FYI my Apple store told me they receive shipments daily in the morning including on weekends. So if you want a device the best way is to go there around their opening, if you do that tomorrow you should get the colour and size of your choice. I settled for a 16gb of my preferred color.

Phoenix Biltmore store: website says no 64GB phones available but I stopped in today and was told that if they don't have at least 3 units on hand the site will not show availability since people might drive over and find out the only one in stock was sold.

They had one silver 64GB phone .... I need two. They get a FedEx shipment every day except Sunday ... they guy said to come back tomorrow at noon.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do I want the device? No I don't care for it. As I said I wouldn't be shocked if Apple did a such thing. I am far from Apple biased as well.....

There are always going to be people who would rather have a good conspiracy theory going on!

Just do not see lots of other threads claiming their entire city is without the SE so . . . . .

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chatter

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Given that Apple know they sold 30 million iPhones that were 4" last year , I'm sure they would have ordered a lot to be made. Pre orders of 3.4 million for just China is impressive when you think most launch weekend sales for the flag ship phones is around 10 million .

3 week wait for space grey 64gb now on apples online store. I'm currently in the city centre and I've noticed the phone shops look busier than normal . Could be demand for the SE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.