Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luftens Hjälte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
Sweden
Hey members at Macrumors!

I have had this problem since late November, I am not sure if it started exactly when I upgraded to IOS10 but I do believe so. This problem has persisted a full system restore (not restoring to a backup) and also a change of device (I received a new phone on warranty since the technicians did not find the fault).

The problem is as follows: either when making or receiving a call no sound is heard from the speakers or headset (if it is connected) unless the the speaker phone is activated. When the speaker phone is activated I start hearing the caller and they start hearing me. If I then turn off the speaker phone I can still hear them and they me, both from normal speakers and headset.

The problem is deeper than this though. If I, after I have made or received a call that had these malfunctions, try to either record a voice memo or video, using siri, play music (from Spotify or Music) or watch a video there is no sound and no sound is recorded on the video/voice memo. If I then pause the active app that is trying to play or record sound and instead open and activate an app that either plays or records sound and then return to the first app, it starts working again.

When the problem occurs and I try to lower or increase the volume nothing changes even if the volume is increased to max. If a headset is connected the volume interface indicates that I am trying to change the volume on the headset device, so obviously the iPhone is aware that I have a headset connected. Is is not an issue of hardware I believe, this since changing apps or activating speaker phone makes the mike work again (both the phone internal mike and the headset mike) and that the problem persists when changing headsets.

I have followed all the instructions on how to fix a broken mike, and nothing is obstructing the mike or anything similar. As I wrote previously I have restored the device to factory settings and the problem returned after a week. Then I contacted an authorised apple retailer and had them check it out, since they didn't find the problem I got a replacement phone. This worked without issues for about 20 days. However, the same thing happened for the first time on the replacement phone yesterday.

The problem is a bit abstract and strange in my opinion and it is extremely frustrating to not be able to rely on the phone to make a call.

Any help with this issue is appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.