Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hannersva

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
huh??

I've read ALL these post and i still can't get it to work. I can't seem to find the .png files for the balloons.

I've got a iphone 3g running 4.1, jailbroken and unlocked, and im using ifunbox to SSH into the phone.

Halp!!

NikkiFlysKites

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Sms

I don't get the whole SSH thing, and I've had my phone jailbroken for a few months but am still new to all of this. My knowledge extends to Cydia, and Winterboard. And sometimes iFile.

Anyways, since I am learning the whole SSH deal, I've tried to change the SMS bubble colors through Cydia. And, I found the exact colors, I've gone to iFile, changed the name to the Balloons_1@2x~iphone.png and everything, then restarted it.
I no longer see the green and gray, but instead of being a full bubble, it's a line that crosses out the first sentence, with a tiny bubble attached to the end.

How do I fix this? /:
179069_498042529333_745629333_5821635_4135534_n.jpg

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
will this change the bubbles in BiteSMS as well? I'm guessing you do the same thing with some other destination directory.

edit: ok instead of being lazy i just did it and it works fine with BiteSMS

Last edited:

BeatleJohn

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
just wanted to say thanks for the bubbles and all the info in this thread. works perfectly on 3gs! also worked fine on bitesms :)

BeatleJohn

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
when i tried this i just replaced the original bubbles with the ones at the start of this topic. but i didnt make a theme so they can be turned on and off. i just went into my phone using iphone explorer and changed the defult ones putting _ping there so they would just sit there for later and then i just put the new bubbles in as named in the thread. anyway i accidently deleted the names of the original bubbles and id like to know how to restore it. whats the file name for the 3gs bubbles? im on the latest update for the phone i think its 4.2? not sure. anyone help me?
thanks

nsabbath

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
I don't get the whole SSH thing, and I've had my phone jailbroken for a few months but am still new to all of this. My knowledge extends to Cydia, and Winterboard. And sometimes iFile.

Anyways, since I am learning the whole SSH deal, I've tried to change the SMS bubble colors through Cydia. And, I found the exact colors, I've gone to iFile, changed the name to the Balloons_1@2x~iphone.png and everything, then restarted it.
I no longer see the green and gray, but instead of being a full bubble, it's a line that crosses out the first sentence, with a tiny bubble attached to the end.

How do I fix this? /:
View attachment 268215

There are four files in all

Balloon_1@2x~iphone.png
Balloon_1~iphone.png

Balloon_2@2x~iphone.png
Balloon_2~iphone.png

u get this problem if u overwrite the "Balloon_1~iphone.png" and "Balloon_2~iphone.png".

To fix this problem copy back the original "Balloon_1~iphone.png" and "Balloon_2~iphone.png" files

Kev-O

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
I'm making this post because I spent all day yesterday looking for a package of iPhone SMS bubbles for my iphone 4. No such luck. They were all either too small or stupid colors or matte or all grouped together on one picture. So for anyone who wants an easy way to change their SMS bubbles QUICKLY, I've made a few in various colors. **NOTE** These are for an iPhone 4 since most of the ones I found were for 3G/3GS. They are already the right size and right format (PNG) so all you need to do is:

1. Save whichever color to your desktop
2. Rename the file to either Balloon_1@2x.png (for sent messages) or Balloon_2@2x.png (for received messages)
3. SSH into your phone (make sure hidden files are visible) and go into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework and drag and drop balloon file inside.
4.Respring device and there you go.

Hope this helps somebody!
_Skitz

When I SSH my iphone through fugu.. chatkit.framework doesn't show up.. Any help would be nice.. Thanks

Last edited:

Mickrg123

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I can not get bubbles to show I followed instructions and no bubbles. The files are in ChatKit.framework. Do you have to delete the original bubbles? Does this work with Vzw Iphone? what am I missing here?

Last edited:

jackson1714

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
please help

so i did all the following steps. i got the outgoing to work but the incoming is all jacked up and i cant fix it? please help im on 3gs! please!

stewp97

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
ok since your on OS4.1 you have to name slightly different

name the

Balloon_1@2x~iphone.png

and

Balloon_2@2x~iphone.png

now to make this a "theme" in winterboard so you can turn on and off do the following

make a folder on your desktop call it whatever you want it called in winterboard

ie: custom sms theme

in this folder you can add a background if you do not it uses that default background, custom background needs to be 480x480pxls and needs to be called

SMSBackground.png (case sensitive) this goes in the main custom theme folder, then make another folder called Bundles then inside that make a folder called com.apple.MobileSMS

put the two png files in this folder

copy theme to the var/stash/theme.xxxxx file on your phone open winterboard slect respring and you should be good

and to be clear there is a _ after Balloon its hard to tell because it underlines it all but you need the _ after Balloon

Thanks for the writeup, and to the OP for posting the bubbles. Just did a theme and it works great! For those having problems, check the capitalization. As has been said, it is VERY case sensitive. Even the file extensions need to be as shown.

wolverine9827

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Very Nice Info!!

Thanks to this thread and the excellent info, I changed mine to purple and yellow on the first try using iFunBox. I haven't changed the background as of yet - and probably won't since it contrasts nicely.

Thanks everyone!

biteSMS looks even better now! :)

iPhone 4 on JB 4.2.1

Incidentally, does anyone know what the other PNG files present in that folder are used for? Some are obvious but others that are similar to the ones changed aren't... and I'm just a curious little monkey... lol

essstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Wider SMS bubbles

Has anyone considered a wider (window-filling) SMS bubble? It's puzzling why they're so stocky and take up thickness (height) when they could be stretched out and read across less lines.

Has anyone manage to change these or address this issue?

Thanks.

shones7

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Can you please explain to me how to "SSH into your phone"
Im new to the iphone but am very keen to change the text bubble colours and this is the best thread iv found so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.