iPhone Started as 'Safari Pad'?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The New York Times's John Markoff reveals that the iPhone began life as a "Safari Pad":
    This adds a bit of information to a revealing Wired article which reported that Apple engineers had spent about a year working on a Tablet PC before being redirected to the iPhone project.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple may be reviving a mini-tablet project with a device 1.5 times the size of the current iPhone/Touch. The rumored Apple device is expected to also incorporate Apple's touch OS X that currently powers the iPhone. Adding to our expectations, Apple executives have described their mobile devices as the first "mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform" with a belief that the new Software Development Kit (SDK) will broaden this platform even more.

Article Link

2. macrumors 603

notjustjay

[​IMG]

Bring it on. :D

3. macrumors member

Is there some speculated price range of the tablet?
    Additionally, what is the purpose of the tablet?

4. macrumors 6502a

Mobile safari pad, eh. It's kind of funny, I'm at a restaurant now posting on my iPod touch. That ability is just awesome.

5. macrumors 6502a

What, a device Apple users have been begging to be allowed to buy from Apple of a decade? Why would Apple offer something like that? :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502

Nothing really new in this article.....

7. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

O! Are you suggesting the Tablet I've waited a decade for is rumored to arrive?!

8. macrumors newbie

They all start out as rumors.

9. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Very interesting, but I don't think we will see a tablet this year at least. Perhaps at next Macworld, and I have a feeling that if we see a tablet like computer, it won't be a tablet, but something radically different yet fimilar enough to be considered a tablet (just like apple does with most of their products :D)

10. macrumors member

Personally, i think the iphone is a much more ideal product than a tablet used for, well probably what the touch is used for. No wonder Jobs switched them to the iPhone.

11. macrumors 6502a

"Allowed"? You make it sound like Apple had the iPhone, multi-touch and all, ready to go in the 90s, but they were too busy rubbing their hands in villainous laughter to rain it down on you.

I'm sure dozens of different mini-computers landed on Steve's desk and were promptly returned because he hated them. Even the current iPhone, great as it is, has many hurdles to jump before it becomes a full-on tablet device.

The ease with which one can photoshop the Apple logo onto the picture of a 6" all-screen device nowadays fools many into thinking that Apple can obviously make such a product easily. It's not just hard to do; it's hard to know just *what* to do.

12. macrumors member

i like the idea of a pad laptop

doubt i would purchase one unless they get real creative with the prices..

13. macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

i think the term you're looking for there is "tablet"

14. macrumors 68020

LizKat

Bets on whether handwriting recognition is involved?

And if so.. then... still no stylus?

15. macrumors regular

Alright Apple, get those engineers and programmers back to work on a tablet Mac.

16. macrumors 68020

Diode

I highly doubt this ... but what do I know?

Could be a perfect platform for the intel Atom chip.

17. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

We heard rumors of this incredible mobile apple device showing up in back rooms of obscure apple events here and there. I wonder if these devices were indeed real and became early iPhones.

18. macrumors 6502a

You can have that today with Ink if you use a pen+tablet. Try it on a Cintiq 12WX and you'll get an idea of what a 12" tablet with that type of input would be like. I'd really hate it if that was my main method of text entry - it's clumsier than T9, let alone iPhone's keyboard.

19. macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Have you read the rumors on the patents apple has for hand writing recognition?

You simple pretend you have a stylus in your hand and the screen recognizes it as such.

20. macrumors regular

IDK about all this tablet talk, but when I first saw the Iphone I thought it would have been cool if it was a bit bigger. I know everyone is obsessed with small but as a guy who wears baggy pants quite a bit the Iphone could easily probably be 2 times as big and still be just as portable. I just want a bigger screen- maybe a fold out Iphone??? that would be cool.

21. macrumors 6502

Maybe all the recent rumors about an Apple Tablet coming out are just referring to this now defunct R&D project that evolved into the iPhone?

22. macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Though the rumors have persisted, despite the iPhone proper probably having started development at least two years ago, so maybe not.

23. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It really wouldn't surprise me if we seem an Apple PDA within the next few month especially after Intel has announced the release of Atom.

24. macrumors regular

Demon

First thing's first!

Just get 3G on the damn iPhone first! what country still uses EDGE for data??!? :confused:

25. macrumors regular

Demon

i would be in complete shock if that happened in the next few months. They can turn the Touch and iPhone into a decent PDA with the SDK. A brand new device is not practical at all. (in the next few months)