Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Does anyone have experience with a phone with minor chips on the screen? We have two iPhone 13 Pro Max's and there really isn't much on the website to explain the process. If I put that there is anything on the screen, they also list the phone as worthless, which is a bit silly.

My phone is in pretty good condition, but my wife's phone has some small knicks and scratches on it. Nothing major, and with the screen on you can't tell without paying a lot of attention. With how vague the trade in policy information is, I'm like to know if anyone has had any issues with an Apple employee refusing a trade in.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I've traded in my phone before with small (sub-hairline) scratches on the screen, and the same on the frame. They were accepted with no issues.

Reactions: StuBeck

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Just for a laugh, I got a quote for a trade in price from a 3rd party UK retailer.
My iPhone 7, which is in perfect condition......£8.......🤣

I know it's a few years old, but it does the job (my least used Apple device).
My next phone will be an SE.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Just for a laugh, I got a quote for a trade in price from a 3rd party UK retailer.
My iPhone 7, which is in perfect condition......£8.......🤣

I know it's a few years old, but it does the job (my least used Apple device).
My next phone will be an SE.
My phone went from $580 for a trade in in good condition, and if there is a chip on the screen, its recycling only. Seems a bit excessive of a reaction.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
How about scratches in the metal band surrounding an iPhone 13 Pro Max (or similar)? My screen and back glass are fine, with no issues, but on the top left and bottom right of my 13PM, the edge of the metal band has been scratched a little. It's very visible in these pics, since the flash really highlights it, but when in normal light, it's barely noticeable. But your fingernail will catch the scratching when you run it across those areas.

The other option is, I have AppleCare+ and have never had a claim on the device. Wondering if I should take it in, pay the $99, and have them replace it, and then trade it in. Just trying to avoid going for the trade in, finding out they devalue it more than the $99 deductible.
IMG_1010.jpeg
IMG_1008.jpeg

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
My phone went from $580 for a trade in in good condition, and if there is a chip on the screen, its recycling only. Seems a bit excessive of a reaction.
"Hi, I'd like to send in this iPhone I have."
"Cool! I'm assuming you want to trade-in for a new one?"
"Yes, it's an iPhone 13 Pro Max."
"One of our best iPhones, yes! That will give you $580 credit."
"Oh, by the way, it has this slight chip on the screen-"
"Zero dollars! Get that filthy beast out of our store!"

• Haha
Reactions: DaveS86 and StuBeck

kltmom

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
How about scratches in the metal band surrounding an iPhone 13 Pro Max (or similar)? My screen and back glass are fine, with no issues, but on the top left and bottom right of my 13PM, the edge of the metal band has been scratched a little. It's very visible in these pics, since the flash really highlights it, but when in normal light, it's barely noticeable. But your fingernail will catch the scratching when you run it across those areas.

The other option is, I have AppleCare+ and have never had a claim on the device. Wondering if I should take it in, pay the $99, and have them replace it, and then trade it in. Just trying to avoid going for the trade in, finding out they devalue it more than the $99 deductible. View attachment 2261577 View attachment 2261578
I traded in my both my husband's and my daughter's iPhones in person at the Apple Store, and both of their phones had similar types of minor scratches. These were at two separate times, with different employees, albeit at the same Apple store location, and both were accepted at the quoted full trade-in value (which I had looked up prior to going into the store). The employees spent the most time doing a quick software/diagnostic-type check to make sure it turned on, etc. and functioned normally. Honestly they barely glanced at phone itself, just giving it a quick lookover on the front/back/sides. I think my daughter's iPhone even had a slight scratch on the front glass/touchscreen, but you could only see it if the phone was turned off and angled just right under certain lightning.

I vastly prefer doing in-store trade-ins, because then you know the iPhone is accepted at the quoted full trade-in price and you get your money/giftcard right away. I've read and heard way too many horror stories about mailing in iPhones for trade-in and getting quoted downgraded values, or worse, having the iPhones mysteriously get lost in the process.

Reactions: kmichalec

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Ive had no issues with iPhone trade in with similar wear and tear especially around the edges since I go to the beach often and sand will get caught and rub between the case and the sides of the phone. As others pointed out that the employees (in my experience) just looked for anything major. I also go in the store for my trade in (upgrade program) so that if there was any discrepancy I can know and possibly talk to the employee then and there instead of via chat or something doing the mail-in route

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Ive had no issues with iPhone trade in with similar wear and tear especially around the edges since I go to the beach often and sand will get caught and rub between the case and the sides of the phone. As others pointed out that the employees (in my experience) just looked for anything major. I also go in the store for my trade in (upgrade program) so that if there was any discrepancy I can know and possibly talk to the employee then and there instead of via chat or something doing the mail-in route
Makes sense. I largely just wanted to confirm others issues as I had one that was fine, and another that was a disaster. I would only do in store trade in for that reason, and also just the simple fact that I can get more from a ton of other stores by mailing in the phone to them then trading it into Apple.

The other issue as I said with doing instore trade in is that the phone is worthless if they find any issues. With that type of crazy policy, I don't trust that they wouldn't just recycle it instead of sending it back.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I recently had my first bad experience with Apple’s trade-in. I‘ve previously done many trade-ins, mostly in-store, but I had done a couple of mail trade-ins over the last several years without issue, so I decided to do go that route again.

I sent my 2018 iPad Pro in. The trade-in value was $245. The value got reduced to $50 due to “Bent device without evident screen lifting.” (I found a few other posts that provided this reason.)

I never noticed any bending, and it was in a case the entire time I owned it. Notoriously, this generation iPad Pro suffered from “bendgate,” which prompted an Apple support article stating this is normal. I wondered if perhaps that was what the evaluator saw, but like I said, I never noticed any bending. I imagine the trade-in company Apple uses would know about bending in the 2018 iPad Pro models after having seen many of them traded-in.

I called Apple Support to ask for photos and requested it be reevaluated. The agent tried but was unable to send me the photos. She couldn’t even view them. I provided the support article that discusses bending during production.

A few hours later I got an email that they completed the investigation and the full value would be given.

Next time I’ll trade in at the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.