Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Very happy with my new 15 Pro not so happy with it's high price, but everything with the phone is great great camera great battery life great speed and great screen.

Having the USB-C replacing the lighting was a step forward.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Hi all,

I am about to upgrade from my SE 2020 to a new phone. The main reason for changing is battery life and a better camera.

I've had my SE since mid-2020 and about 6 months ago it was replaced under Apple Care due to battery degradation. However, the battery doesn't last long even with it being near enough new.

I was thinking about abandoning Apple stuff, but I'm so engrained in the ecosystem that it seems silly!

So I am trying to decide between the iPhone 13 and the 15. And I really cannot decide, as the former is £200 cheaper here in the UK.

So my question for you lovely people is if you were in my situation, what would you decide on? 13 or 15?

I quite like the idea of having 1 USB-C charger to charge my MBA, iPhone and Beats rather than having to take several different chargers around with me, but lightning isn't a deal breaker.

TIA!

Craig
Are there features of the 15 that you’d like to have?

I have a 13 Pro and found it to be one of the best phones out there. I hated the 15 Pro and returned it.

Just my two cents.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Are there features of the 15 that you’d like to have?

I have a 13 Pro and found it to be one of the best phones out there. I hated the 15 Pro and returned it.

Just my two cents.
I'd love the 48MP camera and USB-C. All my other devices such as my MacBook Air, iPad and Beats Fit Pro's charge using USB-C and so does my Microsoft Surface Laptop 3.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I’d go for 15 if the difference is 200. The 2000nit bright screen outdoors is so nice. You don’t realize how helpful it is until you use somebody else’s phone. That feature alone I believe is worth the extra cost. Dynamic Island is fun, plus your phone will last longer. Also battery life is slightly better. Also also, USB-C is a huge win, especially in Europe. I didn’t realize how much I would like it until I had it (much like the bright screen)

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Hi all,

I am about to upgrade from my SE 2020 to a new phone. The main reason for changing is battery life and a better camera.

I've had my SE since mid-2020 and about 6 months ago it was replaced under Apple Care due to battery degradation. However, the battery doesn't last long even with it being near enough new.

I was thinking about abandoning Apple stuff, but I'm so engrained in the ecosystem that it seems silly!

So I am trying to decide between the iPhone 13 and the 15. And I really cannot decide, as the former is £200 cheaper here in the UK.

So my question for you lovely people is if you were in my situation, what would you decide on? 13 or 15?

I quite like the idea of having 1 USB-C charger to charge my MBA, iPhone and Beats rather than having to take several different chargers around with me, but lightning isn't a deal breaker.

TIA!

Craig
I get that there's maybe a lot to save by going for a 14, 13 or 12. But I would not opt for anything other than an iPhone 15.

iPhone 12 is good enough. But battery life is quite bad compared to 13 and newer.

iPhone 13 is great on all fronts. But it only comes with 4GB RAM and has the Lightning port.

iPhone 14 is very similar to 13 and also jumped to 6GB RAM. But it still has the Lightning port.

iPhone 15 has everything 14 has AND USB-C AND Dynamic Island. And reverse charging. And a brighter display. And a design and materials that feel a lot more premium than 12, 13 , and 14. Really, there's almost no spec that they haven't upgraded for 15 even if it still looks quite similar to 12, 13 and 14 at a glance.

iPhone 15 is that very rare mid-range iPhone that even makes last year's mid-range iPhone seem outdated and a bad value even at a big discount.

Also, because of the EU regulations impacting all of tech around the globe, it won't be many years until finding Lightning accessories will become difficult if not impossible.

Like, this isn't just because a brand is moving to a new port to impress buyers. This is all of tech conforming to one standard by the end of this year by law.

My advice is: Don't buy any new tech that isn't USB-C. Period.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Hi all,

TIA!

Craig
Used and or older Macs and iPads are perfectly fine. But always go latest and greatest with iPhones. The cost per day is very cheap considering.

Chazani

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
I went from iPhone XS Max to iPhone 15 pro max. I love the upgrade. For me, it was the camera and ability to take decent photos, without needing to lug my old Nikon Coolpix p600. Having 48mp, 5x zoom, micro closeup shots, really makes it exciting for me :). I did try the Samsung S24 phone before getting the 15 pro max, but I returned it within 24 hours due to having major issues trying to get things set up. It seems Samsung is not for me.

In your latest post, you upgraded to the 15. That is great. I think you will be happier with it.

Reactions: MacCraig Pro

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I upgrade iPhone every 5-6 years. I usually buy the latest model at that time. Upgraded from 7 plus to 13 PM. Absolutely amazing upgrade at that time. I wouldn’t buy 13 PM today though, I will look at 15 PM or wait few months for 16 PM if I was upgrading. iPhone 13 PM in 5-6 years will already be an 8 year old model.

Last edited:

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
At first I thought the only real upgrade of the USB-C on the 15 would be convenience but it's great for attaching all kinds of accessories, external monitors/TVs, all sorts of things. That alone makes it worth the extra money for me.

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I use my phone for camera, calls and texting mainly along with some video streaming, social media and Bible apps. Ideally, I want a phone that will last a full day without having to charge mid-evening to get me through to the late evening. Currently, my SE starts the day at 7am and with ~2 hours of SOT its on 20% by 6pm and dead by 9.

iPhone 14 is out of the running as for the £100 more it barely seems like any sort of upgrade from the 13 unless I am missing something obvious and I may as well spend £100 on top of that and get a 15.
I’m the same as you except my battery is showing capacity at 88%.. I’ve been browsing this forum and a bit of twitter and it’s used 34% in 2hrs where and I find I’m charging my phone twice a day.. my previous 14 pro max would last couple days in same use cases so it’s a big difference.

I’m same use case as you and I’m going to go with 15 pro as I think I’d prefer the better camera.

Reactions: MacCraig Pro

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
I’m the same as you except my battery is showing capacity at 88%.. I’ve been browsing this forum and a bit of twitter and it’s used 34% in 2hrs where and I find I’m charging my phone twice a day.. my previous 14 pro max would last couple days in same use cases so it’s a big difference.

I’m same use case as you and I’m going to go with 15 pro as I think I’d prefer the better camera.
My 15 with the same usage (if not higher usage) compared with SE, I end the day with 50-60% battery left!

This thing is incredible for battery life. I wonder if the SE running iOS 17 is intentionally degraded either that or the A13 is working harder to run it!

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
My 15 with the same usage (if not higher usage) compared with SE, I end the day with 50-60% battery left!

This thing is incredible for battery life. I wonder if the SE running iOS 17 is intentionally degraded either that or the A13 is working harder to run it!
It does make you wonder if that’s the case. It certainly gets hotter than my work phone which is iPhone 13.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thank you everyone for your input. I got the iPhone 15 in the end for longevity and the fact the camera and it has USB-C is a real bonus.

Not used it yet though as still setting it up.
Congratulations! 🍾
Definitely makes sense and the Apple A16 Bionic is by far one of Apple’s best chips, incredibly efficient and powerful, so you should be good for quite a number of years.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
So I've had my iPhone 15 now for about 2 weeks and I thought I'd post back now I've got used to having it.

I have to say I am blown away by battery life, with the same if not more usage than my SE2020 I finish the day on 40-50% left. Some days I can go without charging it for 2 days!

The camera is phenomenal and takes significantly better pictures.

I'm taken aback by how quick it is to move between apps, I'd never realised how slow my SE2020 had become.

Finally, USB-C is great and only needing one charger/cable for my MacBook, Beats and iPad is so much easier.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
So I've had my iPhone 15 now for about 2 weeks and I thought I'd post back now I've got used to having it.

I have to say I am blown away by battery life, with the same if not more usage than my SE2020 I finish the day on 40-50% left. Some days I can go without charging it for 2 days!

The camera is phenomenal and takes significantly better pictures.

I'm taken aback by how quick it is to move between apps, I'd never realised how slow my SE2020 had become.

Finally, USB-C is great and only needing one charger/cable for my MacBook, Beats and iPad is so much easier.
I’m glad that you love your phone! It should last a long long while!

What do you think about the brighter screen? That was huge for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.