Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Good point. Both my wife and I pay for month-to month AppleCare on my 13 Pro and her 13 Pro Max. These things are too expensive to not cover and it's extra $20/mo total, but we both received $1000 per 11 Pro on trade which made the upgrade from an 11 Pro to 13 Pro just $8/mo for me and $12/mo for my wife. So with both phones and AppleCare for both, it's $42/mo. Totally worth it for us. We are not upgrading this year though as the changes are too small. I want USB-C, so hopefully 2023 iPhone Pro models.
That's a good deal with the trade in. I'm guessing it's from your carrier and they give you so much a month? I'm just curious do you transfer video from your phone by USB or you're just looking forward to one less cable? I don't travel much so it's not an issue but I can see it complicating things if I traveled. I was thinking about going for the 14 Pro Max but I've never been a fan of the Swiss cheese camera holes so if that's true I'm holding off.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
That's a good deal with the trade in. I'm guessing it's from your carrier and they give you so much a month? I'm just curious do you transfer video from your phone by USB or you're just looking forward to one less cable? I don't travel much so it's not an issue but I can see it complicating things if I traveled. I was thinking about going for the 14 Pro Max but I've never been a fan of the Swiss cheese camera holes so if that's true I'm holding off.
Yeah it was through Verizon. It literally seemed too good to be true, but it really was $1000 per 11 Pro. My 256GB 13 Pro was just $99 plus tax ($1099 plus 9.25% sales tax = $200) spread out over 24 months, or just $8/mo. Between the ProMotion display, much better cameras, and insane battery life, and new design, it was well worth the upgrade!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yeah it was through Verizon. It literally seemed too good to be true, but it really was $1000 per 11 Pro. My 256GB 13 Pro was just $99 plus tax ($1099 plus 9.25% sales tax = $200) spread out over 24 months, or just $8/mo. Between the ProMotion display, much better cameras, and insane battery life, and new design, it was well worth the upgrade!
The catch with carrier trade in deals is it's over a period of time. 24 months isn't bad but I've seen 36 months. The problem is if you don't keep that phone and line they won't pay you the remainder of the payments. For example if you only kept it for 12 months they get $500 from you and they still get your old trade in phone. It's a good deal if you plan to keep it. Carriers like it because it locks you in. Most people don't switch so it's not really bad.

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The catch with carrier trade in deals is it's over a period of time. 24 months isn't bad but I've seen 36 months. The problem is if you don't keep that phone and line they won't pay you the remainder of the payments. For example if you only kept it for 12 months they get $500 from you and they still get your old trade in phone. It's a good deal if you plan to keep it. Carriers like it because it locks you in. Most people don't switch so it's not really bad.
Yeah I’m happy with Verizon and my thinking was if I fell in love with the 14 Pro I’d pay off the balance ($100) and trade my phone in, but I’m not interested in the 14 Pro. I’ll wait for next year’s phone. My phone will be paid off and I’ll sell privately and go with the Pro Max. I should have gone Max on this one for the display size!

Reactions: russell_314

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
it’ll be interesting for me this year, upgrade wise. Since I’m no longer with T-Mobile or any major USA carrier so will be forfeiting any incentives that they will be offering.

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon 2 years ago and never been happier. I pay outright for my devices and upgrade every 2 years. T-Mobile’s large down payments was the last straw for me.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon 2 years ago and never been happier. I pay outright for my devices and upgrade every 2 years. T-Mobile’s large down payments was the last straw for me.
I found T-mobile had too many dead zones when I was traveling. My friends with Verizon and AT&T would have signal but I would have nothing. They get lots of rave reviews about they have the "fastest 5G speed" and that's great if you're standing under a 5G antenna in downtown New York city but if your car is broke down in the middle of nowhere and you don't even have a signal it's pointless. To me reliability is what matters.

Reactions: Wags

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
As I have been. All my last two iPhones 12 PM and 13 PM were purchased direct from Apple or Best Buy paid in full. What I was trying to say is , I was with T-Mobile and Apple had a deal as did Best Buy for trade ins. However this time around since I’m using an MVNO I won’t be getting any additional deals when it comes to trade in’s which carriers incentivize via Apple or Best Buy. Example, wife at the time traded her iPhone 12 PM at Best Buy and all she did was pay an additional $230 for thr 13PM out the door. They basically gave her over $800 for her 12 pro max. The deal I did last year cost me a little more, around $300 via Apple Store for a T-Mobile iPhone. It required me entering my T-Mobile account details and such , neither devices were on T-Mobile or Apple payment plans. I believe the carriers give more trade in values than if you aren’t with a carrier.

zecanard

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2022
Longmont, CO
  1. Tax is based on 7%, which is just about the U.S national average based on a quick google search.
If you’re going to include tax, you need to add it to the value of your trade-in as well. Why? Because your trade-in value is deducted from the pre-tax subtotal of your purchase, resulting in a partial refund of the sales tax. In your example, that $700 trade-in is actually worth $749.

With that being said, I got $900, cash and hassle-free, for my 12 Pro Max last year. For my use, ≈$300 (with tax) for the latest iPhone is well worth it, which is why I upgrade every year. Some people pay more than that on cable and streaming services they hardly watch (which I don’t subscribe to). I also don’t use a case, screen protector, or Care+, so I don’t need to spend money on those every year.

If T-Mobile keeps their $800 “Switch” offer through this iPhone season, I can actually make money upgrading to the 14 Pro Max.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
For me it is all about the carrier deals at the time the new phone is released. Last year I upgraded my 12PM to 13PM because going through T-Mobile, I got basically $1000 trade-in, of which $800 came directly from Apple. By the time the 14 is available I will have collected 1/2 of the extra $200 from T-mobile, so if they offer a similar deal this year I will most likely forfeit the remaining $100 and upgrade again.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
There was a trade in program competition between carrier’s back then. Now they are barely worth it unless keep same device for over 36 months. Too bad someone shanking things up again.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
There was a trade in program competition between carrier’s back then. Now they are barely worth it unless keep same device for over 36 months. Too bad someone shanking things up again.
I have usually just paid for phones outright, and will probably go back to that but since Verizon paid me effectively $2,000 for mine and my wife’s 11 Pros, we did a 2 year contract. I’m burned out on smartphones and will likely keep my phones for at least 2 years any way. iPhone excitement went away for me several years ago.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I found T-mobile had too many dead zones when I was traveling. My friends with Verizon and AT&T would have signal but I would have nothing. They get lots of rave reviews about they have the "fastest 5G speed" and that's great if you're standing under a 5G antenna in downtown New York city but if your car is broke down in the middle of nowhere and you don't even have a signal it's pointless. To me reliability is what matters.

Yup I had the same issues with T-Mobile, which was the #1 reason why I left them and never looked back.

Reactions: russell_314

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
As I have been. All my last two iPhones 12 PM and 13 PM were purchased direct from Apple or Best Buy paid in full. What I was trying to say is , I was with T-Mobile and Apple had a deal as did Best Buy for trade ins. However this time around since I’m using an MVNO I won’t be getting any additional deals when it comes to trade in’s which carriers incentivize via Apple or Best Buy. Example, wife at the time traded her iPhone 12 PM at Best Buy and all she did was pay an additional $230 for thr 13PM out the door. They basically gave her over $800 for her 12 pro max. The deal I did last year cost me a little more, around $300 via Apple Store for a T-Mobile iPhone. It required me entering my T-Mobile account details and such , neither devices were on T-Mobile or Apple payment plans. I believe the carriers give more trade in values than if you aren’t with a carrier.

Yes the carriers tend to give more carrier deals than if you aren’t with a carrier. This will be the 2nd year I’ll be paying outright for my iPhone. I love not paying a device payment, and I now keep my iPhones for 2 years, so it’s worth it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.